Yahama amp question.

gagelle

I've been curious about the Yamaha amps that start in class A and then switch to class AB as power increases. Why is their switching circuitry considered so special? My problem is that I can't get reliable information on the web. Whenever I do a search, I keep getting get this Yamaha restoration place. They have some information but I don't know anything about the veracity of their material. (I have trouble with businesses that don't have a street address.) I've seen stellar reviews for the M series amps but all those reviews looked like advertisements for the same restoration place. Could someone point me to a web site with accurate, unbiased information about the so called class A switching Yamaha amplifiers?

Websites with accurate and unbiased info are pretty few and far between.

Anyway, what is it that you are looking for, in particular? I've noticed that nobody has chimed in so here are a couple of thoughts. Are you looking for which Yamaha class A amp is popular or that folks say sound "good"? Or for info on whether or not one can hear the difference when in class A and when not (if there is a choice)? I believe that this last question has been argued many times here on AK. If you do a search you'll find opinions one way or the other.

I started to type in class A in my web search and this link came up. No doubt because it was the last time I looked at this topic...

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=38348

I have an M-80 that can run class A for the first few watts. And with a o-scope and a sig gen I could probably see less distortion running class A. But I haven't really tried to hear the difference in a scientific way. Just messing around I couldn't hear any difference. There are Yamaha amps that run Hyperbolic Class A. Threads on that here on AK, too.

Perhaps with a more specific question or questions others will chime in?

Back
Top Bottom