Help needed to bring Yamaha A-1 back to life

Ok I got one of these last year. But The Phono section is not working. When I hook up a TT with a MM cart i get aloud buzz as I connect the right channel and then no sound from it. Left has sound. Swapping leads from the TT gets the same results so Is not the cart.

I have the service manual but not sure where to begin.

I did test the Phono input board and reflowed all solder joints.

point me in the right direction guys ! ;)

PS I have recapped the Power board with Elna's.

Nashou

Ok I got one of these last year. But The Phono section is not working. When I hook up a TT with a MM cart i get aloud buzz as I connect the right channel and then no sound from it. Left has sound. Swapping leads from the TT gets the same results so Is not the cart.

I have the service manual but not sure where to begin.

I did test the Phono input board and reflowed all solder joints.

point me in the right direction guys ! ;)

PS I have recapped the Power board with Elna's.

Nashou

Check and reflow soldered connections on the RCA phono input jacks (shield/ground) connections may fix her up. For the flip down door-- keep and eye on ebay for a parts unit. The A-1 needs cartridge loading plugs for the MM phono section.Without them your loading the cart with 100KΩ.Which will work, but probably not sound as good as it can sound.

You can roll your own plugs..
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showpost.php?p=5053195&postcount=64

Last edited:
Thanks. I will leave the Sankens alone for now.

I played some music for a good two hours and it seems to be doing ok so far. Maybe I'll put it back in the rack.

Thanks again for the help.

(Time to open up the 'other' Yamaha now - CR-400 relay takes 2 mins to acitivate plus there's a 'pop' at power on ... but that's a different thread).
So … 12 years later I opened it up again as it needed a bath. I’d forgotten that I had replaced the power caps. And those twin transformers… thing of beauty.

Anyway, removed a LOT of screws to get to the pots, gave it a nice bath and, once again, magic.

What an amp … it’s one of the few amps where you forget about the amp and the electronics, the brain stops analyzing the freq response and such … and you just get absorbed in the music.

Back
Top Bottom