Yamaha M85 rust inside?

condor

Hi guys, been enjoying the sound of my M85 with my Infinity's thanks to you guys or rather the advice you gave. I opened the amplifier up just to check it was ok but it looks like I have a leak or rust all over? what can be done and what is it?

They all look like that. Its a varnish/shellac they use on the transformers.

looks like varnish or flux from the solder but maybe not flux as there is so much ..isopropyl alcohol should clean it up

Hey thanks guys, took me a while to figure my pics were to large! glad to know its not serious, its been driving my INfinity RS IIIs for a few years now I was worried it was showing its age, thank god I got this amplifier I have never seen another in the UK!

Hey thanks guys, took me a while to figure my pics were to large! glad to know its not serious, its been driving my INfinity RS IIIs for a few years now I was worried it was showing its age, thank god I got this amplifier I have never seen another in the UK!

You should check it for DSBG problem though, if you haven't already. You'll find several threads on AK about it.

100% Acetone works great for this, and cleaning flux off circuit boards. I just use the CVS Nailpolish remover.. it says its 100% Acetone.

100% Acetone works great for this, and cleaning flux off circuit boards. I just use the CVS Nailpolish remover.. it says its 100% Acetone.

IMHO, Acetone flashes off too quick. MEK is better at cleaning flux. I use a small bowl and flux brush to scrub the heavy ones. For really tough spots, another brush with bristles trimmed short.

Use adequate ventilation with either.

This thread just lowered my blood pressure. I just received a Yamaha M-45 that came from coastal Southern California and when I noticed the speckling on the transformer I almost had a fit. There is quite a bit on the transformer as well as inside the bottom case.

Should I scrub it all lightly with paint thinner or grain alcohol?

Back
Top Bottom