Yamaha amp b2/b2x/b1/bx1

pw8888

HI to everybody,
Anyone could explain me a bit more about the technology behind the BX-1 and B2X ? class A FET ?
i own few B-2 and one B-1. I love both of them . Vfet are really very good…
i bought recently a pair of BX-1 and i love them so much… for me it is a little step better then the 2 previous one…
Speed is amazing.. low end is powerful and tight .amazing stereo image… and it seems that the music "flow" a bit better…
all that on NS 1000 , TAnnoy (studio model, and NS10 (little crappy studio monitor (that i use everyday…)

meaning i have now few question for you guys…
is the B2X a improvement or equivalent to the BX1 ?
is it still class A fully ?
Did anyone compare those 4 amp ?
As i understand BX1 use regular FET which in my case (studio and home) i feel a bit better reliability wise…

thanks for your info !!!

Phil :D:D:D:D

As i understand BX1 use regular FET .

Not !! Class A -- Yes. Class A FET -- No . It uses a single dual FET in the front end differential amp.. ( 2SK146) Same as M-2 and a bunch of other models. The final outputs are all Toshiba MT-200 BJT power transistors.

http://sportsbil.com/yamaha/bx-1-sm.pdf

Last edited:
hi
Anybody did compare them ?

thanks for the info Avionics ...does the B2x worth triing if i like the BX-1?

tx
p

into testing listening....

And definitely not a good idea to be stacking a beautiful silver B-2 on top of an equally beautiful B-1! :yikes: All of those amps need lots of breathing room. :D

attachment.php

Last edited:
...does the B2x worth triing if i like the BX-1?

I've never heard a BX-1 or a B-2X so I'm not speaking from experience but from what I've read here and other places over the years, the B-2X is a fine piece of work but it's not the equal of a pair of BX-1's which is not the equal of a B-2 or B-1. Beyond that you'll have to decide and let us know how they stack up against each other. :thmbsp:
attachment.php

(not mine :tears: :D)

Last edited:
Owned a B-2x for many years. With difficult speakers the bass was not very well controlled, I remember.

I've never heard a BX-1 or a B-2X so I'm not speaking from experience but from what I've read here and other places over the years, the B-2X is a fine piece of work but it's not the equal of a pair of BX-1's which is not the equal of a B-2 or B-1. Beyond that you'll have to decide and let us know how they stack up against each other. :thmbsp:
attachment.php

(not mine :tears: :D)

Look like the same amplifier assemblies that are in the A-2000.

they WILL NOT AT ALL stay like that :nono::nono::nono::nono:
specially NOT the bx1 !!!
it was just to testing purpose.... and really all of them need some air FOR SURE !

Can anybody tell me "sonically" between the M-2 and the B-2X ?
same technology ?

That's one amp I refuse to ever work on again. PW is very lucky he got two working ones. Enjoy them while they last...:rolleyes:

Looks like lots of little 'lytics to dry out and fail with all that pure class a heat going on and then a real PITA to fix. :yes:

The only two I have on your list are the M-2 and the B-2. Both are rebuilt with upgraded RCA jacks and speaker terminals. I like them both connected to my Soliloquy 6.5 speakers (92db) and driven by a rebuilt C-2x.

The B-2 is simply more musical and the mid-range is even a little tube like. Both the bass and high frequency performance are a little extended but are still quite natural sounding. Totally non-fatiguing in my set-up. I hear more soundstage effect with the B-2 compared to the M-2. The B-2 does not sound like any other Yamaha amp I have heard.

The M-2 is a solid performer. At very high db levels it might have a little better control of the Soliloquys but this is higher volume than I listen to. The M-2 is probably a little warmer than the B-2 with a slightly receding mid-range in comparison.

In simple terms, I don't find the M-2 remarkable. Nothing wrong with it. The B-2 I find remarkable...

i'm not too surprised that you like the BX-1's the most, but i will second Avionic's comment about enjoying them while they are working well. they really should be serviced (new caps, especially). hard amps to work on, for sure, but worth it IME. a fully refurbished B-1 is simply outstanding as well -- 6 of one, half dozen of the other i guess. haven't heard the B-2, so can't comment there.

Back
Top Bottom