Torumat Mat Repair?

dfunghi

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Recent purchase of Denon TT included an original Torumat. However the spindle hole is stretched and a bit "dried out". Any hope of salvage and if so what do I need to do? I have repressed it flat as I can (it had a big bump near spindle hole). I am guessing the TT sat askew many years with the weight of the mat slowly dragging it down by gravity to stretch it. Amazingly the TT itself seems fine showing no signs of maltreatment.

As always, I searched first.

TIA,
David

Awesome find and great mat if you can fix it! I've had mine for about a year very nice mat!

Attachments

• 20150228_170128[1].jpg
    20150228_170128[1].jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 33
Does anyone know what the torumat mat is made up of?
I am considering the following ideas:
Silicone Adhesive, rubber restorer (used for copy machine rollers) for applying just around the spindle hole or a DIY mat of felt or cork adhered to bottom. I wonder if a cork mat will lessen or even destroy the sonic quality of the torumat? If I applied a very, very thin (vulcan / tire) patch under the spindle hole just enough to fix damaged area (less than 1" square) would that too alter (significantly) the mat's quality?

Lastly is the nuclear option of trying to recondition the entire mat via one of the several formulas for restoring rubber such as an overnight lye or ammonia soak? I believe those are meant for and maybe limited to only use on "natural Rubber".

D

If your efforts don't prove fruitful I would recommend you look at a Herbie's Way Excellent Turntable Mat. I have one and it is impressive. I think the Herbie's may be the closest in concept and performance to your Torumat available today.

Well I simply put some vinyl on and played it. Seems the simple weight of an LP was enough to "flatten" but the hole is still enlarged and I have read differing opinions on whether or not this can effect function of TT. I am now going to move on to other issues, such as the malfunctioning auto features. I gave the pots and all a deoxit but maybe not enough. Will get in and do more before heading to the repair universe. I may look to recap this TT as well as it is 33 years old (according to original owner it was purchased in 1981 new). Such a nice heavy table with a quartz DD (my only DD) I am willing to spend a few dollars to make it new again. Not to disparage but I really believe well made older Japanese and Euro made TT repaired and made new is a better way to spend <$400 on a TT. Just on looks alone sometimes. Of course those preferring more modern looks and such will disagree strongly.

Well I simply put some vinyl on and played it. Seems the simple weight of an LP was enough to "flatten" but the hole is still enlarged and I have read differing opinions on whether or not this can effect function of TT. I am now going to move on to other issues, such as the malfunctioning auto features. I gave the pots and all a deoxit but maybe not enough. Will get in and do more before heading to the repair universe. I may look to recap this TT as well as it is 33 years old (according to original owner it was purchased in 1981 new). Such a nice heavy table with a quartz DD (my only DD) I am willing to spend a few dollars to make it new again. Not to disparage but I really believe well made older Japanese and Euro made TT repaired and made new is a better way to spend <$400 on a TT. Just on looks alone sometimes. Of course those preferring more modern looks and such will disagree strongly.

Glad to hear you were able to save the mat and I agree with your assessment. I think you will have a super TT when you're done. Let us know how it turns out.

Back
Top Bottom