An unexpectrd solution to Garrard grease glue

TTsTurn

Two years ago I purchased a Garrard 40b. Not a great deck but it was the first real turntable that I ever had years ago, and I wanted one for nostalgia. When I got it home, the record size selector didn't work (it thought everything was a 7" record) and it would slow down and nearly stop while cycling. I knew it was the grease/glue that Garrards are famous for but never tore it down (I don't really know how) and it got shoved in the attic. There is no heat or ac up there and the temperature change is extreme in summer and winter. I pulled it out tonight because I want to use it for 78s and figured it could be used in manual mode. I wiped off the layer of grime and plugged it in with a junk lp to see what would happen. To my surprise, it started right up and seems to have fixed itself! The size selector is working perfectly and gently dropping the arm where it should and the cycle is running smoothly without slowing a bit! The only issue it is having is the stacking spindle won't drop the record. It seems to be a little gummy. I figure a good soak in alcohol should free it up. I put the short spindle on and it's working perfectly. A new 78 stylus for it's Pickering V15 and I'll have a decent 78 deck. So I guess the easy solution to Garrard grease syndrome is to let it get very dirty and expose it to extreme temperature change. Not really, but it seems to have worked!

Last edited:
The heat probably melted some of the grease out. Not really the ideal solution but it may have gotten a solidified glob out of somewhere that it was causing deeper issues.

Taking these apart is actually not that bad. Take lots of pictures as you go. Mostly its removing a lot of C clips to pull linkages and parts out.

I put a Dual TT upstairs where it gets triple digits hot in the summertime. Maybe I won't have to replace all that old grease....nawwwww! I've tried gun oil successfully to soften some old grease before, applying a drop here or there with a toothpick. Don't tell the NRA. It's not an approved use for gun oil.

Heat can be the enemy as well.
I recall sending a repaired Dual 1219 back to the owner in N.J., on a very hot day. The thing baked in the UPS truck and all the damping paste ran out of the damping tube. I took care of the problem gratis and learned a lesson about shipping during the hottest days of Summer.

I know this is an old thread. There are operator and service manuals, for the Garrard Model 40B, available on Vinyl Engine.

http://www.vinylengine.com/library/garrard/40b.shtml

Heat can be an effective tool for loosening the old, dried-up grease. I recently repaired my Garrard 40B. Heat, provided by a well-aimed heat gun, was instrumental in the repairs. First, the 70932, Automatic Record Spindle was frozen and could not be pulled out of the center pillar until I applied heat, then it loosened up and I was able to extract it.

Second, the flipper assembly, part of the 58328 Main Cam Assembly, was frozen solid. It was only with the application of heat that I was able to loosen the flipper enough to remove it. After I removed, cleaned, lubed and reassembled the flipper, the player worked, just as it should.

Back
Top Bottom