Cartridge Question

moejr

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
The cartridge on my turntable is a Audio Technica AT91E. It doesn't have alot of time on it but it is about 25 years old. The problem I seem to have is that on some songs the S's are so pronounced that they have that static type sound. It's annoying. I know some of it may be the recording but wanted to see if any of it can be contributed by the cart.

What's your tracking force setting, and when was the last time you've properly cleaned the needle and actually verified the result with a strong loupe?

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

I don't believe this table has a tracking force adjustment. Never cleaned the needle.

moejr said:
... Never cleaned the needle.
That could be your problem right there, assuming the turntable is level and the records in question aren't worn from being played on primitive equipment.

Last edited:
No tracking force adjustment?!!!:yikes: Sounds more like a toy. Don't trust it with your records.:nono:

The OP's cartridge is a P-mount. If the turntable is also a T4P turntable, it's unlikely to have a VTF adjustment. That doesn't make it a "toy" though.

John

Right, it was a Kenwood V-68. Not a bad cart, but the AT91E is better, if only because styli are much easier to obtain, and the current AT92E is an improvement over the AT91E, Plus it's just about the least expensive high-quality cartridge on the US market, a heckuva deal. I'd suggest getting one (just a little more than $20) so you have a spare stylus. In the meantime, clean the one you have and see if the tracking problem goes away when you play a known-good record.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom