Stop the tip-toeing. Turntable skip

I have owned several AR tt which all would skip at the slightest walk through. A Thorens did the same. Eventually I got a Thorens TD 124. It doesn't skip or bounce the way the others did. Different type of suspension. Currently working on a Gates, a Russco and a Technics. So far, none of them skip with kid, pet or adult passes.

I just have my TT on a crazy heavy table, with foam on the table's feet and some stuff on the table

I figure that due to the mass of the table, momentum will make it unwilling to move when the floor moves, with the foam 'suspension' doing the movement instead

any vibrations passed on to the table gets distributed amount the stuff on the table- only one of which is the TT

Yep, even a cheap piece of plywood mounted to the wall (in studs) with cheap metal shelf brackets solved a problem I had like this years ago.

That's exactly what I did:

The brackets cost me less than $10 each. I already had the plywood. Even though I'm renting, im just going to patch up the 6 mounting holes when I move out. I don't see a need to overthink this because this solution has worked perfectly in my past few residences.

Moving the turntable into the corner of the room should help too, and might or might not be more practical than some other solutions. Also adjusting the springs and adding some more damping material inside them might help too.

This would probably help, but not as much as wall-mounting. It would be worthwhile if you don't have time, money, space, or energy to make a wall shelf.

Last edited:
Surprised no one has mentioned this yet. Search the web (or amazon) for "sorbothane"... some sort of soft-ish rubbery substance they make feet out of. You can put them on your turntable feet, or replace them altogether, depending on the design of your table. Obviously a wall mount further removes the problem but this would be an easy try. Also check a company called Vibrapod, which has several options.

Surprised no one has mentioned this yet. Search the web (or amazon) for "sorbothane"... some sort of soft-ish rubbery substance they make feet out of. You can put them on your turntable feet, or replace them altogether, depending on the design of your table. Obviously a wall mount further removes the problem but this would be an easy try. Also check a company called Vibrapod, which has several options.

I use sorbothane pads. They help, but they aren't a cure-all. I'd use them in conjunction with previously mentioned methods to ensure a dead still table.

Handballs cut in half with a hacksaw.

13635195414_092b8615b3_z.jpg

Back
Top Bottom