Another Shure V15 Type IV Stylus Thread

LutherG1

I know there are lots of threads on this but the choices out there - and range of vendors - makes for a confounding situation. If I am getting it right I see very roughly at least following

* Very inexpensive ($20) and some times said to be EVG
* Ed Saunders (said to be a poor choice these days as opposed to in past)
* EV - Electro Voice - NOT EVG. Sells for around $50. There is a source in NJ and one in Arkansas on auction site.
* A $100 cartridge - also labelled EVG - another one that is from different source than above but also in NJ - Anderson's music I believe.
* JICO SAS from Japan (lots of different vendors) from $180-200.

Two questions

* Yes - the JICO SAS is recommended. But what else is pretty good as a replacement stylus and who is a reputable vendor - is there anybody on auction site or (alteratively turntable needles or the place in Minnesota. But they do not have range of choices above.
* If one were to go for JICO SAS - who is a source that one can rely on for quality and integrity.

I'd love to nail down a straightforward answer on this. I currently have a V15 with what may be an original stylus that still has life - not really sure what it is but it sounds very good. Still - I would like to have a replacement.

Likewise, I have an M95ED which would also benefit from replacement.

THANKS!

I know there are lots of threads on this but the choices out there - and range of vendors - makes for a confounding situation. If I am getting it right I see very roughly at least following

* EV - Electro Voice - NOT EVG. Sells for around $50. There is a source in NJ and one in Arkansas on auction site.
* A $100 cartridge - also labelled EVG - another one that is from different source than above but also in NJ - Anderson's music I believe.

Two questions

* Yes - the JICO SAS is recommended. But what else is pretty good as a replacement stylus and who is a reputable vendor - is there anybody on auction site or (alteratively turntable needles or the place in Minnesota. But they do not have range of choices above.
* If one were to go for JICO SAS - who is a source that one can rely on for quality and integrity.

I'd love to nail down a straightforward answer on this. I currently have a V15 with what may be an original stylus that still has life - not really sure what it is but it sounds very good. Still - I would like to have a replacement.

THANKS!

I don't think know of a $20.00 stylus available anywhere but there's a $13.00 brush on eBay. Is that what you're thinking of?

Forget Ed Saunders.

The $50.00 EV and EVG styli will be the same. These are elliptical and, by Arkansas, do you mean Oklahoma?

The $100.00 ones are from Anderson Music/Andy Deals. It's what he does when he's out of stock. This way he keeps a live ad on eBay.

In addition to the SAS ($150.00), JICO makes an HE which is a bit less money ($133.00). These are the ones to consider, IMO.

For your M95, the EVG stylus is fine.

John

Stay away from the $20 and the Ed Saunders stuff . I speak from experience . Go up the food chain (so to speak) . If you have the money go for the JICO SAS . Boreas is right on with his post .

I also agree with the JICO SAS (I have one for my V15 RS and love it). As for who to buy it from get it directly from the source in Japan. I read on this forum that JICO would not honor a repair on his SAS stylus because he bought it from a third party. Cost is about the same but shipping might take a little longer. Better to be safe than sorry (considering the investment).

http://stylus.export-japan.com/

Last edited:
If you can swing it, get both the EVG and SAS. Use the EVG for less-than-perfect records.

OP here & thanks for replies. Very helpful. I think I will go with DHE @ LP Gear for now @ $80 and eventually also SAS @ $160. If memory serves I ordered a belt from turntable needles once and it took a month. Are these vendors OK - are any others better - not sure what Needle Doctor has will look.

IIRC Needle Doctor has an EVG HE stylus for $100, and I remember seeing the JICO HE on sale a while back for about the same price, just can't remember where.

The Turntable Needles link referenced above -and thanks - claims their $80 V15iv stylus is DHE made by Jico. Then they have the $160 stylus which should be a SAS. Hopefully they are on the "up and up" with those claims. If so seems good alternative to confusion of auction site.

The $15 EVG on my M95 is not the best, very muddy sound and poor bass. Better off to invest in quality. NOS or vivid line are what I go with.

Last edited:

Two questions

THANKS!

Your turntable (tone-arm, actually) should narrow down your choice of styli.

well, I wish I would have seen this thread before I ordered a replacement from Ed Saunders. I have an original stylus on mine and I want to extend the life of it. So thought I would try out Saunders. I'll let you know how it goes.

I run a VN35E replacement by EVG (JICO sourced I believe) for $15-20 in my V15 Type IV. (The original stylus stays kept away safely). It fits in the V15 IV no problem and has the JICO voicing instead of the OEM of course.

It sounds fine, good value for the price, definitely not as good as the SAS or Original. Would like to hear a JICO DHE one day

OEM is all I'd use or was told to use for that matter, but some folks swear by the Jico, now becoming a moot point with how difficult and expensive they are to source. Eventually I am going to only buy carts. in which the Stylii are easily attainable. Probably once my IV needs a new Stylus I'll migrate to something newer that will mimic the characteristics of the V15IV, no easy feat, but who knows there might be something better I'm just not aware of, and by then might have a different table and tone arm that'll make me forget all about not having a V15IV.

There's a reason Shure used the stylus they did, that's all I'll say. If there was better not only then, but since, they would have designed it themselves. Aftermarket carts. are just that, aftermarket... some may give the perception of better performance but won't perform like the original. All depends what you are after I suppose.

jkilla said:
I run a VN35E replacement by EVG (JICO sourced I believe) for $15-20 in my V15 Type IV. ... It sounds fine, good value for the price [but] definitely not as good as the SAS or Original. ...
Awakening this thread just long enough to say I second the idea of this amazing-for-the-price Jico V15III elliptical stylus in the V15IV or V15LT. Tracks very well at 1.25g. It'll keep you going until you can finally hunt down a real VN45HE/MR/LT. Currently available from several online vendors.

I'm listening right now to my t.t-same cart with a Russell Industries stylus that the local vintage hi-fi shop brought in.Nice physical looking-indentical to the Shure.Seems to sound pretty good.Have about 16 hours on it.Cost me $85CDN.Not sure if i got ripped off or not.

Does your stylus have a hyperelliptical or other line-contact stylus like the original VN45HE? That could explain some, if not all, of the price difference.

Awakening this thread just long enough to say I second the idea of this amazing-for-the-price Jico V15III elliptical stylus in the V15IV or V15LT. Tracks very well at 1.25g. It'll keep you going until you can finally hunt down a real VN45HE/MR/LT. Currently available from several online vendors.

Stupid question...so the type III stylus will fit a shure v15 type iv?

III into IV?

Yes, the V155 Type III stylus will physically mate with the Type IV body. (It will also mate with a Type V body.) Not to imply that the sound will be the same.

However, the reverse is not true: Neither Types IV or V styli will physically fit into a Type III body.

Back
Top Bottom