TD145 mkII Motor Noise

I removed the rca plate that I installed on the back of the plinth, just to be sure that there was nothing touching.

The internal RCA leads haven't changed, so they are as they were in the first picture above. I added another wire from the bridging earth wire (running from the deck to the suspended deck) and joined this to the tonearm earth wire that Vicky circled above.

The buzz is faint, and can't be heard whilst playing music - to quote J Clarkson, it's like chlamydia - no real symptoms, but you know it's there! I can still grip the plinth with both hands and the buzz goes away.

I have tested continuity with a MMeter, from the cartridge, right through to internal RCA's to the external RCA's, through to the phono preamp. Everything seems in order. I don't have another cartridge, and I have the wires now soldered to the cart pins (a big no no) but I broke one of the pins during my problem solving attempts, and it was either take a chance and solder, or wait weeks to repair it. I chose the former and it plays well - present problem excluded.

Thank you all for your efforts in trying to get my problem sorted, it really is appreciated. Particularly for me livingout in the country, with no support for 100's of km's.

Attachments

• IMG_1942-2.jpg
    IMG_1942-2.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
If you are still experiencing a change in the hum when you touch the table with bare hands, you are simply not getting ground relief to your other electronics through the wiring. It could be as simple as the power cord being out of phase (flip it over) or some other piece of gear that is receiving a different ground or electrical phase than your table.

I would take an alligator clip wire and clip it to your amplifier or receivers case and touch all the inert pieces of metal on your table while the table is turned up loud but not playing a record so that you can hear any slight difference in the hum change. You will find out which piece of metal in the table is picking up the hum and getting discharged once you are able to make a good connection with the test clips.

No disrespect for your skillset, but some of those solder blobs are much larger than needed and look as though they may be causing an issue due to over heating within the wiring, causing a short. Solder tinning running up a wire is a good thing, but a huge round blob up to the wire casing is too much.

Last edited:
Dennis I'm one of the best solderers in my household! I know it is not my strong point, and I have tidied a lot of these up this afternoon. We cannot flip our cords over here in Australia, however I will get the alligator clip tip done. Every time I open up the table and check something, the problem changes ever so slightly. I was getting a slight buzz in both speakers yesterday, now it is only in my left speaker, and I cannot quiet the table by touching the plinth! I'll keep attacking.......

I have one earth cable running from my TT to the amplifier. It doesn't seem to matter if I have it running to phono or amplifier, however I haven't tried two cables. Is that common practice? Easy enough to try

PunkJr, looked at the picture below and answer me please:
1.What is working this two screw marked me with 1. I am afrade that this screw's are for traveling and must be unscrewed when playing.
2. Check that springs worked well and gum's are healthy.
3. What is distance from one frame to other frame ? They must be not touched each other.

I am just thinking how to remove your buzz...

----------------
Vicky

Attachments

• Question.jpg
    Question.jpg
    185.9 KB · Views: 17
That screw holds the clip that keeps the subplatter from falling out if table is turned upside down. Not all Thorens TDs have this screw and clip.

That screw holds the clip that keeps the subplatter from falling out if table is turned upside down. Not all Thorens TDs have this screw and clip.

Dennis, is that means are the screw is fitted so they contact to other frame?

I am just trying to elimanate any contact of each frame...

I'll have to open her up again later today, however those two transport screws are undone and loose, and I don't think are touching - I'll check. The springs have been checked, however I will check the distance of the platters - again, I think this is fine, but won't hurt to take a look.

It may be worth noting that neither my TT, phono pre, and amplifier have the third Earth on the power plugs.

Attachments

• powplug.gif
    powplug.gif
    4.3 KB · Views: 5
It may be worth noting that neither my TT, phono pre, and amplifier have the third Earth on the power plugs.

That is normal. Too many ground cords on items that may not be plugged into the same circuit tend to pick up hums from those grounds and put them back into your signal. (Ground loop)

You need to think of an earth ground simply as a path for any noise to travel to ground to keep it out of the signal path. It should be a goal to have only one ground path for your whole system to shunt the noise to ground if a ground is needed. Many audio systems work best without any physical ground path. (Floating ground)

So replacing with a valve phono that has a 3 pin won't necessarily help? I'm now thinking that it must be my cartridge. I'll have to rewire my armwand first as I broke a pin and soldered the wires directly the Stanton 681EEE.

Back
Top Bottom