new turntable....Clearaudio Concept or Rega RP6

tnmike1

AK Member
I'm Upgrading my turntable and am considering these two. I'm led to believe both have great build quality with great cartridge selections. So all this said anyone have opinions or is it a tossup between the two. I'm not interested in future upgrades sovthis will be my last decent turntable

I'd go with the Clearaudio! I'd take German gear over British....two differnt sounds.

Edit: unless it's a Nottingham!

Last edited:
I'm very fond of the Concept as long as the floors aren't too springy. I gather it isn't the best table for dealing with that situation. Other than that is a really nice sounding deck. In the RP line the RP-8 is the one I like, but it is bunches more money.

I just got a Marantz TT-15, which is made by Clearaudio, and has their Virtuoso cartridge. It gets very good reviews, and I sure like mine, especially for the $1500 total price.

I've heard from others that the MC cartridge is worth the extra money, if you go with the Concept.

Definitely the Concept. Apart from the build quality, the ceramic magnetic bearing is something special.

I believe the ceramic-magnetic bearing is not on the Concept, only on higher models.

You're right. It is an option though, I believe. I've one on my Emotion.

I'd still go for the Clearaudio, though!

I just got a Marantz TT-15, which is made by Clearaudio, and has their Virtuoso cartridge. It gets very good reviews, and I sure like mine, especially for the $1500 total price.

I've heard from others that the MC cartridge is worth the extra money, if you go with the Concept.

I believe the ceramic-magnetic bearing is not on the Concept, only on higher models.

After reading your post, went to the Music Direct site, read the info on this table and seems they're putting a $900 cartridge on a $1600 turntable which leads me to wonder the build quality of a $700 turntable and the justification of using a cartridge of that high quality? Just a thought

After reading your post, went to the Music Direct site, read the info on this table and seems they're putting a $900 cartridge on a $1600 turntable which leads me to wonder the build quality of a $700 turntable and the justification of using a cartridge of that high quality? Just a thought

I don't think the cartridge is worth $900 though. A few people buy the package, sell the cartridge off and then get one that is a bit more value packed. It is a good way to subsidize some of the cost of a cartridge.

I would go for the Clearaudio also. My thought process is that the arm bearing is top notch, actually the whole arm in general. The panzerholtz wood is a better choice than MDF, and the bearing assembly looks to be top notch also.

The only caveat on the Concept is that you have to isolate it well since its a non suspended table of light to medium mass. Get a good wall shelf, or a sand box base and you got a very fine table.

Regards
Mister Pig

I own a TT-15. IMO, it's a great package.

The standard I was used to, in my "prime" :), was a pair Sota Star Sapphires with SME arms and several cartridges including a Koetsu Urushi. There came a point where I just wasn't listening to vinyl much anymore and had the right buyers at the right time so I let them go.

The Marantz is what I chose for listening to my favorite records when the mood strikes. It has some magic that a few others in that price range did not. Very pleasantly surprised at what it does .

I don't think the cartridge is worth $900 though. A few people buy the package, sell the cartridge off and then get one that is a bit more value packed. It is a good way to subsidize some of the cost of a cartridge.

I would go for the Clearaudio also. My thought process is that the arm bearing is top notch, actually the whole arm in general. The panzerholtz wood is a better choice than MDF, and the bearing assembly looks to be top notch also.

The only caveat on the Concept is that you have to isolate it well since its a non suspended table of light to medium mass. Get a good wall shelf, or a sand box base and you got a very fine table.

Regards
Mister Pig

Clarify "isolation" I've heard it's susceptible to footfalls, but I'm in a totally carpeted "man cave" and sit on my sofa while listening. So am I OK or should I isolate this further? Wall shelf no problem, but just curious on the isolation thing

Clarify "isolation" I've heard it's susceptible to footfalls, but I'm in a totally carpeted "man cave" and sit on my sofa while listening. So am I OK or should I isolate this further? Wall shelf no problem, but just curious on the isolation thing
You should be just fine.

Of the recent crop of tables I've heard relatively extensively in recent years three grabbed me by the ears. The Concept was one, the other two being the Rega RP-8 and the Nottingham, the latter two being far more expensive than the former. That gives you some idea of the relative bargain the Concept appears to be to me.

I have had first hand experience with both of them. Today I have a RP6.

The Clearaudio has the looks indeed, but it is quite demanding on vibrations and placement. You really want to place this on a solid wall. Its really easy to tickle.
Stock PU sounds a bit....analytic. But then again, PU´s can be swapped! My unit had a kind of low motor noise too, same as the demo unit on a local HIFI-shop around here..so I think its "normal" on these decks. I was not all quiet the same way as my Rega RP6 was at stock level (I have added som mods to this brilliant unit, and now it sound even better :thmbsp: )

That said, I had the Clearaudio for almost a year and I was mostly satisfied. I got the deck up on a wall, so no more problems regarding regarding vibrations. I kept to the stock MM PU that came bundled with it, played a lot go records and had e great time. Then the Rega came along and I preferred it over the other, easy as that. I preferred the Rega sound over Clearaudio and listen to a lot of rock genres and metal ++++ The RP6 really gets that foot going!

I don't think you can go wrong with either to be honest. Both are great decks within its price range.

There really are a few Rega lovers around these forums eh ?:scratch2:

Last edited:

I think it's just that Marantz negotiated a high-volume, screaming deal with Clearaudio. I really like the Virtuoso cartridge - as refined as some MCs, but with a lot of punch and impact. I think most TT/cart combos really shortchange the cartridge, and this one doesn't. IMO, it's a keeper, not a trade-away. YMMV...

As for the table's build quality, it is superb, for the price. Very smooth, quiet operation. With the mat off, it's difficult for me to tell whether the platter is turning or not! Very non-resonant too - plinth, platter, and arm all pass the tap and scratch tests convincingly. I've had both a Rega P5 and a Music Hall MMF-5 develop faint rubbing-sound issues. Won't happen here. I use a two-handed technique when switching it on and off, putting my right thumb on the motor to keep it from shifting, while flipping the motor switch with my left hand. Thought that might be an annoyance, but I'm totally used to it, no problem.

I'm not trying to talk you out of the Concept, or the Rega, for that matter - I'm just very pleased with the Marantz. It's my go-to table now. :D

Last edited:
Never had a brand new off the shelf turntable /stylus combo so figured what the heck. My Technics 1800mkii goes into a second system, that along with all my Shure carts. Shoulf be fun. Could be final upgrade. Who knows?

Back
Top Bottom