My Garrard Lab 80 Obsession

gillsev

Cult Lab 80

Why the Garrard Lab 80 (you ask)? It made its debut in 1964, the year I was born. The Lab 80 has been the turntable I was born into that it's almost synonymous to call it "Dad".

Background ...

I once had a Lab 80 that I ruined back in the days when I was only 5 yrs. old when "the automatic" peaked my curiousity (as my Dad would put me on a stool to watch it play and cycle). At that age, I was just amazed to see how the tonearm lifted by itself at the end of the record and return itself to its rest. One day when my Dad wasn't around, I got up on the stool and decided to spin the platter as fast as I could as I engaged the auto cycle. You could just imagine the arm going back and forth to and from the platter - to its rest - then back again at such speed (as the stylus hits the mat!), I was enjoying myself! Not for long though as my Dad returned home unexpectedly and caught me in the act! Boy could you see his disappointment! But what can he say, I was only 5. He tried to play a record and the auto function just came to a halt from then on. Oh well ... it was off to the attic.

Later on when I was in high school, I dusted off that Garrard and placed a Shure M447 on it. Still sounded good. But the auto malfunction just got into me that I started dismantling the table thinking that I might be able to fix it ... but no hope for me. I just didn't know how to put it all back together again. So this time its off to the the trash.

One thing I've observed though ... that this was really a quality automatic transcription turntable as they claimed it to be. From the heavy dynamically balanced platter to the craftsmanship of a well dynamically balanced armature of the motor, up to the execution of those lever switches! And even the arm itself with the aformosia wood, the feel of the controls, and just the whole unit itself was oozing with quality and craftsmanship.

I have never seen such quality ever displayed again ... not even on the later Zero 100 models (or even on the top of the line Z2000B) during the 70's. Those were just flimsy models with a lot of hype that didn't add up to performance. They just didn't have that quality feel at all as I had with the Lab 80. It was built like a tank.

The Lab 80 was engineered the best of its time.

Fast forward to today...

I just feel that I have to undo and pay my respects to the beloved Lab 80. Hardly could you find one these days that are fully functional and would require a total rebuild. But when I found this one for $50, I jumped on it ...

WOW! You would have thought that this Lab 80 came right out of a time capsule from 1964! This is totally immaculate and fully functional on all auto functions! It even came with the long changer spindle and I tried loading 8 records (for its maximum). It worked flawlessly! There's not even a hint of sluggishness to the auto cycle! I even haven't put a drop of sewing machine oil to it, and yet it's quiet and working oh so smoothly. Even the cue function ever so gently lands the stylus on the record. This is almost like New Old Stock condition! I am a very happy man knowing that my beloved Lab 80 is back to life once again, and that I didn't have to worry about rebuilding it. What a find!

Update ... I managed to take off the platter and lubed the bearing spindle and idler wheel post. Just a little maintenance after 45 years.

1000927sp6.jpg

1000950os4.jpg

1000986.jpg

lab80popularsciencejuly.jpg

lab80repportay9.jpg

Last edited:
I'm still on the hunt for that rare elusive "cake top" look original dustcover. So for the meantime, I got some materials from Hobby Lobby to make do for now ...

1000991tk8.jpg

1000988sk2.jpg

1000987ru1.jpg

Last edited:
This story falls under the category of "priceless". You obviously wanted to atone for the damage to your father's table, but from what I read, you needed those memories more than the atonement. You made my day.Thanks.

This story falls under the category of "priceless". You obviously wanted to atone for the damage to your father's table, but from what I read, you needed those memories more than the atonement. You made my day.Thanks.

The sad thing is that my Dad had a stroke 2 weeks ago ... and I really think my Lab 80 would really outlive him.

If you guys have the original "caketop" Lab 80 dustcover that you wanna get rid of, or know of somebody who wants to sell it, please PM me immediately. Thanks.

lab80dustcoverbk8.jpg

I've got one of those in the basement...brand new and still in the box. Unfortunately, the auto function does not work and it doesn't work in manual either. Do you really think this is worth fixing? There is no cover, though...

I've got one of those in the basement...brand new and still in the box. Unfortunately, the auto function does not work and it doesn't work in manual either. Do you really think this is worth fixing? There is no cover, though...

If you are a sentimental kinda guy like me, then it is worth fixing. That model is one of the highlight being Garrard's historic moment as the world's first "Automatic" Transcription turntable made in 1964. Second only to the 301 (& 401) respectively.

I love my Lab 80. I am glad you found a nice one. What I like the most, aside from the impeccable 60's styling, is that in manual mode it is truly manual. The Lab 80 really is a well kept secret. When I turn mine off that 6 pound platter keeps spinning forever. I have posted several threads on AK regarding the Lab 80 and there are some real fans of that TT here as well.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=271392

Attachments

• P1020532.jpg
    P1020532.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 875
  • P1020324.jpg
    P1020324.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 998
  • P1020388.jpg
    P1020388.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 973
Last edited:

Yes! Fix it... the Lab 80 is definitely worth the trouble... I used to have one and sold it in a fit of upgrade-itis, still wish I hadn't. I'll get another, someday.

I love my Lab 80. I am glad you found a nice one. What I like the most, aside from the impeccable 60's styling, is that in manual mode it is truly manual. The Lab 80 really is a well kept secret. When I turn mine off that 6 pound platter keeps spinning forever. I have posted several threads on AK regarding the Lab 80 and there are some real fans of that TT here as well.

Hey hey, I see we got a Lab 80 Cult going on here :banana:

I thought it was just the (Thorens) TD 124 that has the cult.

Good going guys! The Lab 80 is very underrated model among purist audiophiles (due to its automatic mechanism), but for us who have experienced this table firsthand, we know the quality to be superb, if not equivalent to the 301! :thmbsp:

Great read...

This hobby is a lot of fun. Your past parellels mine. Still love watch an LP turn. The Lab 80 is a good table. Got hooked on Duals. Had a 1010S back in the 60's Would like to get a Lab 80. Got to make room. Too many tables around here again.

Eric:music:

Count me in as a member of the cult. Like my avatar? Woooooooo, that has got to be the ugliest dustcover I have ever ever ever seen but I suppose its necessary. Why do they call it a caketop? Doesn't look like the top of a cake. I always thought the caketop is the rectangular clear styrene thing with the black square knob on top; or is that called a potlid? I've seen potlids that fit the base. I'd gladly trade my caketop for a potlid. :D

Oh, and as info, I did see a Lab80 NIB on Audiogon a couple months ago. It went for around 400 bucks.

Last edited:
Count me in as a member of the cult. Like my avatar? Woooooooo, that has got to be the ugliest dustcover I have ever ever ever seen but I suppose its necessary. Why do they call it a caketop? Doesn't look like the top of a cake. I always thought the caketop is the rectangular clear styrene thing with the black square knob on top; or is that called a potlid? I've seen potlids that fit the base. I'd gladly trade my caketop for a potlid. :D

Oh, and as info, I did see a Lab80 NIB on Audiogon a couple months ago. It went for around 400 bucks.

I LOVE your Lab 80 avatar man! What a profile!
Yeah, that "caketop" is one of the ugliest out there, but it's a classic (besides being a necessity). It's called caketop because it looks like a birthday cake from the sides :yikes:

I saw that NIB Lab 80 from Audiogon ... in fact it sold at Ebay instead.
This is the exact Ebay ad and picture that I've saved (45 bids and ending @ $355.00, you know there's a big demand for the Lab 80 out there!) ...

Attachments

• MIB Lab 80.jpg
    MIB Lab 80.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 310
  • 5215_3.jpg
    5215_3.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 403
Last edited:
Sounds like you've been forgiven and karma has been restored. :tresbon:
Not to buzzkill, but share that karma with your dad, while you may... I lost mine at 54 (his age, not mine) which was just over 14 years ago, a period when I was largely absent, off being the responsible son (still am.)

Sounds like you've been forgiven and karma has been restored. :tresbon:
Not to buzzkill, but share that karma with your dad, while you may... I lost mine at 54 (his age, not mine) which was just over 14 years ago, a period when I was largely absent, off being the responsible son (still am.)

I was thinking of it ... maybe I should forward this thread to him. Thanks :thmbsp:
(My Dad is 76 now.)

There's a very clean looking MkII on eBay right now. It looks very clean and I like the plastic base more than the wooden one.

I would love one of these. I'd set it up as a dedicated mono table or something. And so neat looking! A "60s Modern" classic!

Back
Top Bottom