The unidentifiable Turntable with crap pics

Windir5

Okay, so my father purchased this turntable around 15 years ago from a local hi-fi store called sound world. He got this turntable with a variant of the bozak concert grands. There is not a single makers mark on the turntable itself anywhere to speak of. I am terribly sorry for the horrid photos that I took. I am not sure what type of tonearm is used, and I think he has the other part of the tonearm assembly elsewhere that I was unable to find. I don't know much about turntables, nor what it could be made of. One part or another runs on air, as there was an air pump thing you plug into the wall included. It is REALLY FVCKING heavy. I'm not sure if it is the acrylic platter, the base or both combined. I couldn't get a good angle on it to lift it out of the box at the time. If I get around to it I will try to get it out of the box with more detailed photos.

I am hoping with perhaps someones general knowledge with the base layout, platter (almost 2" think) and the fact it is ran on air.. (oh as you can see it is belt driven) that you may have an idea who may make it. Or, if perhaps its just a prototype someone built in his basement.

any help would be appreciated as this has been bugging us for years!

I think that is an eminent technologies arm and the turntable looks like a clearaudio (?) maybe on a homemade plinth. Worth getting up and running.

Good information, I'll try to get some more detailed photos shortly if I can! Maybe help try to identify this!

Just a few more... Sorry these are the best I could take.. And the platter is more like 1 1/2" think by the way... Each of the 3 corners has that ummmmmmmm.......... sharp looking things in the corners. Sorry I'm not much of help, I looked EVERYWHERE for any sort of markings..... Only thing I found was on the cartridge and that was "monster cable Genesis 1000"

sorry about that bit of foam, came off the ceiling, lol

Best way to remove it from the box to cut the box on the corners so you can figure out where to lift it to prevent any damage. Don't try and lift by the arm.
Get some more pics, looks like a neat project.

BillWojo

Typed that as you added more pics. Looks cool!

The arm is definitely not an E-T tho it is a pneumatic bearing LT, there should be an air pump for it.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

There is an air pump for it, but if I am not mistaken I think it was for a fish pump as the original got lost. Just how we got it. Never did plug it in as we haven't a clue really.

I am terribly tired I'll try to get some better pictures tomorrow. The thing is like a block of lead I'll try better tomorrow.

I've seen that table before somewhere in my deep past. I wish I could recall what the name was, though. The base isn't a DIY but original as it is as I recall seeing the table exactly as in the pics. If I could remember what friend owned it maybe it would come back to me.

I was a friend of Rick Roberts from when I first moved to Houston in 1988. I did a LOT of business with him up until he left Houston for Key West back in 2012. His audiophile store was called Esoteric Ear and SymplyPhysics was his design and component modification company.

I have a SimplyPhysics “DarkStar Signature Turntable/Tonearm” system, which comes with an “Aviator Signature” tone arm, air gauge & valve box, and a two-pump Wisa air pump system. It retailed for $6,500 with the stand, which I also have. He used aquarium pumps on earlier versions of his air bearing tonearm.

I used a Benz-Micro Glider M2 until my housekeeper broke the stylus while dusting the turntable. (She is no longer allowed anywhere near that turntable!) Fortunately, I had an extremely good backup cartridge – an AudioQuest AQ 7000-FE5, which is a far better - or at least more expensive- cartridge than the Benz-Micro. According to Audiogon’s Blue Book, the AQ retailed for $2,450 and the Glider for just $750.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom