Favorite Female Artists

i would say Luba Mason. shez new, so the musics, lyrics and sound of the new album is very fresh and refreshing. and she has something very soothing about her in her voice. listening to her was an absolute delight

My all-time top faves:
Emmylou Harris
Chrissie Hynde
(Their duet on "She," from "Return of the Grievous Angel" is a song that sends chills down my spine.)

Others:
Big Mama Thornton
Bessie Smith
kd lang: only based upon her rendition of "Help Me" from the Joni Mitchell tribute album.
Bettye Lavette
Diane Schurr
Janis
Grace - more because of her whole attitude than for her voice.

I've taken a liking to Amy Winehouse. Hope she gets her act together before she kills herself.

Posthumous career advancement

I've taken a liking to Amy Winehouse. Hope she gets her act together before she kills herself.

She'll be much more popular after she kills herself through her own lifestyle.

Then we can read threads about "her tragic life and untimely death".

I don't care for her, but I do wish her well as far as improving her lifestyle goes. There might be more talent there if she were more focused.

My Two Cents

Doing some hardcore work avoidance right now. AK's always good for that.

Did all 22 pages. Seems like all of my favs have already been mentioned.

Glad to see, at post 35, mention of Beth Hart. My latest fav.

Just posting my vote for Etta James. Could sing ANYTHING she tried. Have almost everything by her. Nary a dud in the bunch. My "desert island" artist.

And... Ella, Nina, Linda.

OK bye, back to work!

So many to list for me...

Ella
Julie London
Laura Nyro
Joni Mitchell
Marianne Faithful
Christine McVie
Annie Lennox
Chrissy Amphlett
Sam Brown
Alison Krauss
Alison Moyet
Amy Winehouse (we lost a great talent when we lost Amy, very sad)
Beth Orton
Debbie Harry
Karen Carpenter
Clare Bowditch
Amy Lee
Shirley Manson
Gwen Staffini
Janis Ian
Jenny Morris
Holly Cole
Jewel
Kate Bush
Madeleine Peyroux
Maria Muldaur
Mary Hopkin
Mazzy Star
Missy Higgins
Rickie Lee Jones
Sade
Tori Amos

And a special mention for the following as they would be little know by many here:
Merri May Gill
Malissa Forbes
Katy Steele

The latest female singer that has me in her embrace is Lana Del Rey, I find her vocally very versatile and at times when it suits her and the song... I find her haunting :)

I'm sure I missed some.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Although there are many female artists I like very well, even rather close to my favorite, it's an easy choice for me. Linda Ronstadt. I could come up with a list of at least a dozen who are close, but no real doubt about the winner.

Came across a CD of a local lady.
Dalannah Gail Bowen.:thmbsp:
Mama's Got The Blues.

Gotta say I totally enjoy her sound and this one's a keeper.

Among recent-ish artists, I'd have to mention Sarah McLachlan, Paula Cole (esp her first album Harbinger) Natalie Merchant/10,000 Maniacs, kd lang, Holly Cole, Gillian Welch.

One performance that never fails to slay me is Eva Cassidy doing Autumn Leaves live at Blues Alley. Absolutely excellent way to spend five minutes. She starts off so unassuming and the bulk of the performance is relatively subtle, yet she completely drags you in and captivates you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSXYu-3r1S8

Lorraine Feather.
Janis Siegel
Dionne Warwick
Kate Bush
June Christy

Crap....I forgot:

Dinah Washington
Marilyn McCoo
Sarah Vaughn
(Ten Wheel Drive) Genya Ravan

Last edited: