Yamaha GT-2000 Turntable Social Group

gt2000l

did anyone recap their gt or does anyone know how many caps there are to be changed and how hard it would be to change them. Im just worried about stories when the caps goes your left with a 60lb door stop. thanx brad

If anyone needs the optional electric tonearm lifter YAL-1 there is one for sale on ebay now. First one I've ever seen. It's in Europe but will ship to the USA. I have one on my deck and it works well. Item 221401609551 Let us know if someone picks it up.

Nice to see an old thread revived. I'd second the recommendation to get the arm lifter, if your GT-2000 isn't already equipped with one. I got mine locally after starting out without one. Life is nicer and less stressful with it. No longer any need to get up and over to the turntable in a hurry when the record ends.

I'd also like to apologize for not doing more to keep the GT-2000 group active and updated. If anyone has acquired a GT-2000 and is not listed as an owner in the group, please shoot me a PM and I'll add your name.

Perhaps this is the right place to ask. Who manufactured the GT-2000, was it Yamaha? On the PF-800 and PF-1000 they got help from Micro Seiki who also built TT´s for at least (Luxman, Nakamichi and Onkyo). Some things reminds me of Micro Seiki but the T-tag says Fuji.

/Micro seiki enthusiast

Orsonic AV-1s

Hi Theo,

I tried to install a Denon 103 on my GT-2000 usining the Orsonic AV-1s head-shell today, I noticed the Denon cart was not at a 90 degree angle and it appeared the headshell was slightly lower on the left side & slightly raised on the right side when attached to the YSA-39 tonearm and viewing the cart front on.

As I'm still learning what this amazing turntable can do and my manual being written in Japanese - I was hoping you might be able to advise if there is an adjustment for the tonearm in relation to the headshell (aside from forward/backwards). I noted you are also using a black version of the Orsonic AV-1.

Thank you for your previous comments and enriching the little that is known about this turntable outside of Japan.

Tim (Sydney)

gt 2000l manual

Im trying to have a japanese foreign exchange student translate the manual to english if i get it done ill put it in a pdf file for all to get a copy. Keep your fingers crossed. Brad

Orsonic AV-1s

Hi Theo -thanks for quick reply,

I bought the headshell from 2juki who seems to have a good reputation on Stereonet.au amongst others.

I have included a photo with packaging,

Have to say the DL103 sounds very nice on the GT-2000

Cheers,

Tim

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 82
Orsonic head shell photos

image.jpgHi Theo I have included 2 more photos with the standard headshell & the Orsonic attached to the tonearm with a ruler to show more clearly the discrepancy,

Cheers,

Tim

GT2000 extras

Hi All,
I bought my GT-2000 in 2008 with a few "extras" that I rarely, if ever hear anyone talking about.

The first, and most important, is the YOP-1 external power supply. This power supply unleashes the full potential of this amazing turntable. When I first got the TT I did a lot of A/B comparisons between the stock TT and the TT with the YOP-1 attached. No contest. Imaging and soundstaging became far more stable and precise, bass more powerful yet tighter...basically everything the stock did went up a couple of notches. Because of the YOP-1 it now plays in the top league of turntables regardless of price.

The second "extra" I have is the Vacuum platter. It adds about 1Kg to the weight and having the records truly flat i think definitely improves the sound.

I still haven't seen things like the gun metal platter or the massive "cradle" but these are probably more like icing on the cake. I would also worry a bit about the longetivity of the bearing with an extra 9Kg load on it.

As for the rest of the analog system, I use the Audio Technica AT-150MLX MM cartridge, which is a resolution monster. I couple this to my pride and joy phonostage, the all tube Silvaweld SWH-650. This rig for me is probably the stopping off point for analog as it pretty much delviers flawless analog.

You guys out there with GT2000s owe it to yourselves to try and find the YOP-1 as it brings this wonderful machine to another level of performance

I have a custom made YOP-1 external power supply copy that I purchased from an AK member and it works well. While I've never spent the time to do back to back comparisons my initial impression was that there was more detail coming through the TT. One of these days I'll take the time to do back to back comparisons and post up. What I'd like to do is modify the external power supply to work on 120v and get rid of my power converter to eliminate another potential source of noise.

I also have an after-market 'YOP-1' - I suspect it was from Japan as the previous owner sold me the GT-2000 with the power supply. Certainly made the GT-2000 sound more refined well worth hunting one down. I also installed the auto lifter which is pretty easy to do. I saw a gunmetal platter YGT-1 in the sold section of hifido it sold in 2015 - http://www.hifido.co.jp/KWYamaha+ygt-1/G1/E/0-10/C15-02192-63788-00/ the cost was enormous :(. Theo where did you see the YGT-1 clones for sale? Did you have any idea of their price?
There was also a YDS-1 Vacuum platter.for sale on hifido in February this year (2016) cost was around $1000 AUD.

Greetings all. I am also looking into buying a decent turntable platform for the GT-2000. I currently have mine on the Yamaha made dedicated wood rack (GTR-1B). Anyone in the group have any thoughts on using a Ginko cloud or Silent running audio platform or any other suggestions?

I'll give you a friendly bump. Theophile is usually all over this stuff! Must be a busy time for him. If you're really interested, he's done a great job of documenting his vibration reduction system. It doesn't sound like it's a job for the faint of heart!

Yeah Theo did go to length to explain his vibration reduction system - I was looking to buy a platform as I don't have tools to make one. I had a look into the cost of his and I wanted something a bit cheaper. Hence the silent running audio SRA VR Series 3.0 this platform weighs 45-50lbs & seems to be well regarded with turntable users in USA. The Ginko system also seems highly regarded too.

Thanks for the update Theo appreciate your input.
I calculate roughly the price of the last Yamaha gunmetal platter for sale on HiFiDo in 2015 as approximately $4222 USD. I'm sure it makes a difference however it's too expensive - considering they now sell at over 4 x original price (120,000 yen). The aftermarket platter is more reasonably priced just not sure about quality and fit - it certainly looks well made. Theo did you ever consider buying the vacuum platter? Just wondered what your thoughts are on that upgrade?

Theo you make some valid points for sure - I would also factor in the rarity of the platter too. They hardly come up for sale. I had a look through the sold listings on Hifido and noticed a big jump up in price over the last 3 or 4 years. Prior to that the platter cost around 170,000 yen. I even saw one for sale on a gt-2000 & another one on a gt-2000x for reasonable prices about 5-10 years ago. This month a GT-2000x went for sale for a bit more than the platter.

Just another question- the Yamaha vacuum platter to flatten out records - it had a hand pump (I think) do you think this is a worthy option. Prices go for around 700-800 as it's pretty rare too.

I wonder Theo if you also have any thoughts on how the new "audiophile" Techics 1200 turntable due for release this June 2016 would match up to the GT-2000. I think the platter on the new Technics Grand Class SL-1200 GAE weighs around 4-5 kg. It has some interesting new technologies too.

I have a Yamaha GT2000L on the way from HIFIDO and need some advice. I have been using a Audio‑Technica AT‑OC9ML/II very successfully on my PX-2 and my PX3. I guess I got lucky because I didn't pay attention to the compliance. Based upon a couple compliance calculators it looks like my OC9 will not work with the GT2000's arm. I want to stay with a LOMC cart. Any advice would be great.

I have an OC9ML/II I have tried on my GT-2000. Though I prefer a couple of other carts over it on mine I think theophile is correct - You should listen first and read second. It is in no way a slouch or a terrible fit for the YA-39 in real life. Be sensitive in getting your VTA right and consider using a different headshell than the original and I think you'll be happy. Turntables like these and my beloved DP-59L's sound better when you watch them work too... :)

I agree with Theophile & captmark - give it a try and decide whether you think it's a good match. I'm using an AT-ART9 / YA-39 on my GT-2000 and it's an excellent combination.

Back
Top Bottom