Sea Foam users?

I'd like to hear more about the whole steam cleaning with water.

I love seafoam, but it did ruin, or hasten the ruining, of my catalytic converter in two different vehicles.

I don't understand how Sea Foam could damage a catalytic converter, it's nothing but hydrocarbons. However there are more things in Heaven and Earth than my tiny mind can grasp. If you have more info I'd be interested in hearing about it.

I forgot the link to the clone recipe above, now added.

tox, I've no idea, and really, no proof.

I ran it thru the brake booster, and boy, did that thing buck and kick and fart black filth.

My guess is that the exhaust funk gets gummed up in the cat.

I'm not daunted, I swear by the stuff.

I had that thought, although once at operating temp with some air it should burn off that stuff, that's what it's supposed to do. Unless the filth had a bunch of metals content, that would be bad. Or mechanical damage if it backfired? It's a ceramic honeycomb, somewhat delicate.

tox, I've no idea, and really, no proof.

I ran it thru the brake booster, and boy, did that thing buck and kick and fart black filth.

My guess is that the exhaust funk gets gummed up in the cat.

I'm not daunted, I swear by the stuff.

I had that thought, although once at operating temp with some air it should burn off that stuff, that's what it's supposed to do. Unless the filth had a bunch of metals content, that would be bad. Or mechanical damage if it backfired? It's a ceramic honeycomb, somewhat delicate.
To me, this translates to "only attempt this with a well warmed engine, and don't introduce the magic juice too fast"

^^Sure, before it completely erodes your paint.

I've been using seafoam for years with great success. I typically see a small increase in fuel economy and throttle response. Smoother idle, too.

Sea foam gas additive has the most noticeable effect in the spring with my motorcycle and lawn mower. After a tank or two, it really smooths out the engine.

I use it in my car each spring as a result, but effect not as noticeable in my Honda's.

I use Berryman's B12 every 20K mi's or so. TC-W3 oil goes in everything I own, 1oz per five gallons of gas.

I asked my mechanic about SeaFoam; he said it was overrated and overpriced. He recommended a bottle of Techron once a year in the fuel tank. He also used Techron to clear out a plugged-from-lack-of-use fuel injector in my mom's Crown Vic.

Tom

When I replaced the intake manifold on my Crown Vic, I cleaned the injectors with electronics cleaner.:D

I have a 2001 Corolla. It suffers from the burning oil syndrome, caused by plugged oil holes in the pistons. On the Corolla forum some folks suggested using Sea Foam in the gas and oil. I just tried it today in the gas. I put 3/4 of a can in a bit less than 3/4 of a tank of gas, and drove to work. I don't know if it's going to help the oil situation, but within about 4 miles I realized I couldn't hear the engine! It is much quieter and idles perfectly smooth now. I'm a believer. I'll add some to the oil before the next oil change, drive it around 20 - 50 miles and then get the oil changed.
So, what does Marvel Mystery Oil do? I have only used it as a lubricant so far.

I have heard that it could be damaging to higher millage engines that never had sea foam treatment before. Apparently sometimes carbon buildup can help with compression on a worn engine.

I have heard that it could be damaging to higher millage engines that never had sea foam treatment before. Apparently sometimes carbon buildup can help with compression on a worn engine.

Oddly, I'd say there is some validity to that.

My buddy had a completely craptastic old camaro. It chugged and farted around, and one day we seafoamed it pretty good.

It never ran better, but from that day on, it leaked oil like a sieve.

Apparently, the Seafoam blew away the "scabs" holding that sad old motor together. It blew out the head gasket a few months later.

Those older 2-strokes like my Yama 130 build up so much carbon in the exhaust that they run really badly after a while. With the "shock" method you pour it into the fuel filter glass until you have a 50/50 mix or more then you run the engine for fifteen minutes and shut it down. Come back in 20 minutes and fire it up and run it at 1500 rpm that smoke cloud billows out along with a truly awful smell like burning dog turds. Chunks of carbon literately blow out of the prop center exhaust. then it smooths out and the sound changes as the pipes clear out. You are then running well again.
I also use it in the 4 stroke Onan generator on our motor-home. It has a small carb and a tendency to load up the exhaust so I spray it in. I think it does well with all engines but it is the only one that I have used that cleans all the way through the exhaust pipes.

Back
Top Bottom