UPS crushes my day once again...

rytr

Vinyl Junky
So I have been rocking mostly vintage intergrated amps for vinyl. However, I have been adding some modern stuff and decided to take the leap and go all modern.
So I found a sweet deal on a Used Vincent Sv-236mk. I have been lusting after this amp for sometime now and figured it was time to bite the bullet. It would go perfect with my Marantz t15s1 and Jolida JD9.

Yesterday was the day the amp would arrive at my office.
I was like a kid on Christmas morning...UNTIL I opened the box.

23d023600ec7a672bc227c971afa0505_zps950e3bf1.jpg

79ace26237de0c202b1f0a31765d95e5_zpse383d8cb.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
32b09ce967c9225aa2381fa077dbb2f2_zpse8deb78b.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
2ae48b31e045d61a2c43f67a9a4ee5b0_zps4d310802.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

It sonically still works. But boy did they have to drop this from up high to bend that back plate and heatsink fin.

I am working with the seller to make a claim. I will keep my fingers crossed and hope it all works out.

Good Luck, but that's not 2" of padding on those terminals and that's on the seller. Don't be shocked if the UPS puts it back on him and rightfully so.

Seeing as your deflection is less than 1/2", proper padding may have prevented this.

I wish you well and am glad that as of right now only an invisible in use cosmetic issue is the flaw.

Last edited:
Oooh, so sorry this happened to a nice amp. It looks heavy, and from 6 ft. up where UPS drops them (or says they might), all that weight on those terminals...

What I would do is not only more padding, but the first layer would have a hole in it for the terminals, and then more stiff foam across the whole side. That way if it gets dropped, the force is spread across the whole back panel.

Good Luck, but that's not 2" of padding on those terminals and that's on the seller. Don't be shocked if the UPS puts it back on him and rightfully so.

Seeing as your deflection is less than 1/2", proper padding may have prevented this.

I wish you well and am glad that as of right now only an invisible in use cosmetic issue is the flaw.

I can agree that the padding seems light. But that is the stock double box padding from the manufacture. It made it from China in that box.

You would assume that it could make 400 miles.

I can agree that the padding seems light. But that is the stock double box padding from the manufacture. It made it from China in that box.

You would assume that it could make 400 miles.

Well it probably didn't get handled by the UPS from China and was nice and safe wrapped to a pallet. Not handled a bazillion times by belts, rollers, trucks and people.

It's pretty common knowledge that 2" is the industry norm for shipper for packing items. From the UPS site...

Step 2. Provide Internal Protection
It is important to cushion the contents of your package properly.

Please be sure that you wrap each item separately. Fragile articles need separation from each other, and from the corners, sides, top, and bottom of the box.

Each item should be surrounded by at least two inches (5.08 cm) of cushioning and be placed at least two inches (5.08 cm) away from the walls of the box. This prevents product-against-product damage and protects contents from shock and vibration, which can pass from the outside of the box to the contents.

Just double boxing wont do in some cases. And while I see the 2" rule - I'd like to add -

A cuboid like an amp in a proper case - like this one has 6 sides.
Inner box should be tight to the amp but on only 2 sides. Preferably the left and right as you're looking at it.
The outer box should be tight to the outer box on only 2 sides - and not the same 2 sides. The top and bottom preferably.

The front and back - the most important parts should be packed with foam/crumpled paper, corrugated scrap cardboard etc etc as suitable and these should have 2"+ 2" protection inner + outer.

Or - Have we entered the era of triple boxing ?

Cool.
Srinath.

Just double boxing wont do in some cases. And while I see the 2" rule - I'd like to add -

A cuboid like an amp in a proper case - like this one has 6 sides.
Inner box should be tight to the amp but on only 2 sides. Preferably the left and right as you're looking at it.
The outer box should be tight to the outer box on only 2 sides - and not the same 2 sides. The top and bottom preferably.

The front and back - the most important parts should be packed with foam/crumpled paper, corrugated scrap cardboard etc etc as suitable and these should have 2"+ 2" protection inner + outer.

Or - Have we entered the era of triple boxing ?

Cool.
Srinath.
I think from now on i am just going to drive and pick it up myself...

if it's packed in the original manufacturers shipping boxes-the seller is faultless-it got shipped to the dealer that way,they didn't get a strapped pallet load at''Franks fine audio and hot wings'' or where ever it was originally purchased. Shame the shipping gorillas played football with it,nice amp-used one as my main for about a year with the Vincent tube cd player.

That sucks. I know the feeling as I am going through the same hassle with a claim for damage to my Ray Lumley M100 tube amps and FedEx. Is it just me or does it seem like there are a lot more damaged items lately? I think I am done shipping items, only local sales from now on.

Thin metal on the back plate is part of the issue. My Odyssey took a hit the same way and just cut the binding post insulator. No claim needed.

You got to be kidding me

I cant believe how many members constantly blame the seller and not the crap lousy job these shipping companies do. Like the one fella said, it made it thousands of miles , until UPS got there hands on it. This week alone I have had a personal loss to USPS. my son had a loss to UPS, and his was perfect professionally packed, no if and or buts about it, UPS damaged it due to there lousy work ethic and the fact they find it acceptable to treat stuff like trash. I cant understand for the life of me why I keep reading it was the seller's fault, makes no sense at all, that they have to throw and drop packages. We get 5 to 10 shipments in a day where I work, FedEx usually in pretty good shape, UPS and USPS usually crushed, dropped, kicked , ran over and so fourth. I asked our UPS rep and our USPS rep and they both had a similar story, the way the sorting whse or areas are set up, some stuff falls 3 to 10 feet, per the rep because they wont spend the money to change it ?????? I almost fell off my chair. They also had similar stories on the kids that get hired to do the sorting, they overload them and then stuff starts getting tossed, damaged and ruined. I think that this issue is beyond stupid and not the sellers fault many times. Even on my loss, while it wasn't packed perfectly, it should have made it to me, if they would not drop and toss things and care less. Its too easy to blame the seller and not the shipper since the shipper are mega huge companies that find it harder to fix the issue than just ruin stuff and then pay the insurance claim after they try and not pay it if they can avoid it. B the way the FedEx rep which is our best rep overall anyway, didn't have the same story, he said they go out of there way to avoid damaging shipments. They try not to drop anything that's over 5 lbs he told me and they don't have a sorting area where things drop at all. I believe him because the incoming shipments are in much better condition than any other shipper.

My two cents. Flaps

Local cuts down on selection

After my rant I am sorry to hear FedEx damaged your item, guess were just lucky with FedEx here. We cant find anything worth anything locally in Vintage Audio, We did two fun trips to thrift stores and so on over the last month and almost nothing worth anything anywhere. We also hit up local CL, nothing except for one nut-bag that in his listing after asking for way too much money actually said, If your don't like the price move on, its what I want. You have to be kidding me on that one.

Hopefully you live in an area where there are some sources for vintage.

We also have a vintage store for Hifi and repair but I question there offering, since there not open on weekends and they have no late hours so the average working Joe will never shop there, makes no sense at all to me, but hey it must be nice having all that time off :)

Flaps

That sucks. I know the feeling as I am going through the same hassle with a claim for damage to my Ray Lumley M100 tube amps and FedEx. Is it just me or does it seem like there are a lot more damaged items lately? I think I am done shipping items, only local sales from now on.

That's pretty bad, I feel sorry for you! I've been having better luck with the Post Office,
I haven't been using UPS of late a lot of the people who work just don't care and just
throw everything around, When I got my last amp thru the mail the seller put on the
box Fragile Glass and it got here in good condition.

Tube

I cant believe how many members constantly blame the seller and not the crap lousy job these shipping companies do. Like the one fella said, it made it thousands of miles , until UPS got there hands on it. This week alone I have had a personal loss to USPS. my son had a loss to UPS, and his was perfect professionally packed, no if and or buts about it, UPS damaged it due to there lousy work ethic and the fact they find it acceptable to treat stuff like trash. I cant understand for the life of me why I keep reading it was the seller's fault, makes no sense at all, that they have to throw and drop packages. We get 5 to 10 shipments in a day where I work, FedEx usually in pretty good shape, UPS and USPS usually crushed, dropped, kicked , ran over and so fourth. I asked our UPS rep and our USPS rep and they both had a similar story, the way the sorting whse or areas are set up, some stuff falls 3 to 10 feet, per the rep because they wont spend the money to change it ?????? I almost fell off my chair. They also had similar stories on the kids that get hired to do the sorting, they overload them and then stuff starts getting tossed, damaged and ruined. I think that this issue is beyond stupid and not the sellers fault many times. Even on my loss, while it wasn't packed perfectly, it should have made it to me, if they would not drop and toss things and care less. Its too easy to blame the seller and not the shipper since the shipper are mega huge companies that find it harder to fix the issue than just ruin stuff and then pay the insurance claim after they try and not pay it if they can avoid it. B the way the FedEx rep which is our best rep overall anyway, didn't have the same story, he said they go out of there way to avoid damaging shipments. They try not to drop anything that's over 5 lbs he told me and they don't have a sorting area where things drop at all. I believe him because the incoming shipments are in much better condition than any other shipper.

My two cents. Flaps

FedEx employees are required to handle two packages every few seconds. They use boxes to ram down the conveyors to open jams, they even ride the big boxes that expensive guitars are shipped in. I have seen it all. No matter how well you package, there is a gorilla out there who can take it out

Sorry to hear this man, I have lost a few pieces of audio shipped to me as well as two vintage Dean guitars worth over $4500 to UPS

They paid, especially after I showed then the bootprints on the box and the boxes were always well packed. I never lost a claim with them. There is no excuse for that kind of handling

It's getting to the point you need a doctorate in engineering to pack anything these days to survive the ever so resourceful UPS at damaging goods.

Matt.............tubeornotube

My two cents. Flaps

So if you know all this abuse exists, and most sellers do too, why wouldn't you pack it better??? Or at least to meet their minimum standards??

The bottom line here is that a bit more padding may have prevented the damage and certainly wouldn't give the UPS or their insurance carrier an out.

Nobody here is saying that UPS didn't beat up the carton. Nobody is giving them a free pass on their handling. I am saying the seller should know that's what happens in transit and didn't package accordingly to protect the goods and ultimately himself.

BTW, I've been selling online for years and have shipped thousands of cartons, yet the damage claims I've had you can count on both hands.

If that's an eBay or Paypal item, their buyer Protection will cover it if the UPS doesn't and that will come back on the seller.

Back
Top Bottom