Shut up and listen

Every show has fans talking, and most of the time , whispering between each other, nothing to loose your head about it.
It's not the first time LaMontagne goes nuts in a concert. This is not Salon Music, it's an open air venue.
Relax Mr. LaMontagne, you going to loose your fans.

There was a recent thread on here on the subject of people talking at concerts. I feel you should go to a concert to listen and not ruin the experience for others that paid good money to enjoy the music by talking during the performance.

There was a recent thread on here on the subject of people talking at concerts. I feel you should go to a concert to listen and not ruin the experience for others that paid good money to enjoy the music by talking during the performance.

Agreed.
People are going there just to jabber to each other and then cant even remember the show the day later. Those people are awful fans.

Fudge

Jack Black has tried to make his concerts cell-phone free, as in "Watch but don't record, you'll get more out of it that way."

Good for him. Whispering is one thing but people having loud conversations so they can be heard over the singer is disrespectful to the fans that paid to hear the performance.

Is there video of this 'meltdown'?

Ray lamontagne can hear people talking while he performs because much of his music is so quiet.

I can understand comedians getting upset because, well theyre talking in a closed venue. People that talk too loud in comedy shows are either drunk or werent raised to have consideration for other people, even if they dont like the comic. Beauty of comics is that they slay the talker and kick them out. I love it when that happens.

Im glad Ray did what he did, he shouldnt make an example of crappy fans. The writer of the article thinks ray shouldnt have shamed the yappers, I think he should have. Let them feel bad that they pissed off their favorite artist with their narcissistic selfishness. Worst off, parents took their kids there and got mad that he was cursing. I understand that parents want to explain curses to their kids when they want to, not when surprised, but parenthood is full of surprises, deal with it. The man is trying to deal with yappers in the front row right in front of him. I guess people in the back dont care when they cant actually hear the yappers.

This is why I dont go to concerts. People suck.

Last edited:
Mr. LaMontagne never heard people talking, he couldn't hear people talking, period.
Mr. LaMontagne had a meltdown because he saw people talking, or whispering, or whatever.

Good for him. I am sure that the people their to enjoy the show appreciated him tossing out the idiots ruining it for everyone else.

In the 70's they never had this problem. The bands played so loud. That you could yell to the person next to you and they could not hear you.

Mr. LaMontagne never heard people talking, he couldn't hear people talking, period.
Mr. LaMontagne had a meltdown because he saw people talking, or whispering, or whatever.

Based on the advertising for the show folks should have known he was on the lookout for people talking during the performance.

"We've got our eye on you, Grand Rapids! Come pick up a copy of tonight's poster at the merch table." Ray LaMontagne

10476376_10152273256816194_5141528846226291748_o.png

Lots of opinions both ways on his facebook page.

My opinion is Shut the **** Up at concerts!

https://www.facebook.com/raylamonta...3.181771.5771846193/10152273256816194/?type=1

Last edited:
In the 70's they never had this problem. The bands played so loud. That you could yell to the person next to you and they could not hear you.

Roger Waters would beg to disagree. Have you ever heard the tale of the Pink Floyd performance of 6 July 1977 at Olympic Stadium, Montreal, Canada? It is said that Roger's 'issues' with that audience on that occasion was the inspiration for The Wall.

An outline of the events of that evening's concert, courtesy of one Wray Ellis, a contributor @ the website Brain Damage who was in attendance.

Sheep
Roger Waters began the signature bass intro, David Gilmour strapped on a pre-‘71, all-black Strat with white knobs and 2 white pick-ups. An extra player, Snowy White, was in tow that evening, adding background under David’s crunchy solos. When the song finished, the first roar from the assembled 85-90,000 attendees was startling.

Pigs On The Wing (Part 1)
Roger doffed his signature Precision bass and put on headphones and an Ovation acoustic guitar. The crowd was a bit large for such a change in dynamics and there were whistles and shouts throughout the tune. Fighting feedback and constant shouting, he softly muddled through.

Dogs
During that echoing, "Stone...stone...stone...", in the upper corners of the stage, consumer goods and people slowly inflated... an obese, pin-striped man and the front end of a Cadillac slowly puffed out. When the music came back in, the car hood opened up and inflated snakes burst out and hung down grotesquely. The crowd went nuts.

Pigs On The Wing (Part 2)
Again with headphones and his acoustic, Roger attempted to have a quiet moment with 90,000 of his closest friends. He tried several times to start but the din was unrelenting. When someone at the back let off a barrage of firecrackers, he lost it. He stopped and demanded that they go outside to let off their fireworks because people wanted to hear his tune. "I want to hear it", he concluded. The audience cheered in loud approval and the song resumed without further interruption.

Pigs (3 Different Ones)
Roger picked up a black and white Strat and Snowy switched to bass. Of the four songs they’d played so far, Roger played bass on only one of them. The fireworks seemed to subside and a pig floated overhead as David played some of the best solos I’ve ever heard him play. As the song wound down, and they were doing a quiet vamp, Roger became... demonic. He called into the audience and pointed at a kid somewhere off to my right - just in front of him. He called the kid up to the stage, like you would a dog. "C’mon boy... come back... all is forgiven... just a bit further... there’s a good boy..." I could see an exuberant teenager climb over the barricade and with the help of a roadie, he was lifted up to the edge of the stage. I’m sure he thought he was going to meet his idol... until Mr. Waters let fly with a wad of spit that was as remarkable for its volume as it was for its accuracy. "Sch-plaugh" - right in the kid’s face! Dazed, the kid was tossed, like garbage, back over the bars into the darkness. The song ended, the band retired for a 20-minute break and I was left trying to process what I had just seen.

JUMP OVER TO ENCORE SET

Money
The house lights stayed on for the duration of the show. By this time, even the outwardly tranquil David Gilmour seemed irritated. The rear screen projector didn’t come on until well into the second verse. When it did come on, it caused spontaneous cheers, and an indignant, "It’s about time!" from Mr. G.

Us & Them
While the crowd could accurately be described as a "beast", it was more noisy than dangerous. It was a huge party atmosphere - but they wanted more. Cries of "’Ostie - Pink Floy!!" came from the locals. Maybe this was misinterpreted because when they finally returned, Roger said they’d do a quiet one so they could "end this thing peacefully". (Never at any time did I see anything threatening, nor did I ever feel threatened - and I was right in the thick of it!) I’d already started inching my way back to the exits and when they came back on, I was right beside the soundboard so I remained there for the rest of the show. It was an odd scene - the rear projector on and smoke emanating - but the house lights were all on. When "Us & Them" ended, the roadies began to tear down the stage but the chants of "more... more..." and "’Ostie!!" continued.

Blues
David never came back. I’ve read that he watched this song from the soundboard, but I was right there and I didn’t see him. While Snowy, Roger, Nick and Rick played the blues, roadies quickly tore down the equipment around them. By the end of the song, only Roger and Nick were left - Nick was down to just a snare drum and high-hat. Roger’s flat "Good-bye!" signalled the end of an unforgettable night.

(This would be the last time PF ever played "Blues", as an encore piece or otherwise, @ a live performance)

I have listened -- or tried to hear -- this performance. The sound of the audience was so friggin' loud and incessant that it in fact disrupts the soud of the band's music from the sound system. The Audience were LOUDER than The Band on 6 July 1977.

My pet peeve....when…mostly ladies…..”whooooohooooooo” at the beginning of a tune or in the middle after say a lead part or solo. I hate that. It’s breaks the spell and live records. AND you hear it a lot with comedians too!!!!! It's like someone is going to go "WOW that was great but did you hear that person over there??? VERY TALENTED!!!" :)

Based on the advertising for the show folks should have known he was on the lookout for people talking during the performance.

"We've got our eye on you, Grand Rapids! Come pick up a copy of tonight's poster at the merch table." Ray LaMontagne

10476376_10152273256816194_5141528846226291748_o.png

Lots of opinions both ways on his facebook page.

My opinion is Shut the **** Up at concerts!

https://www.facebook.com/raylamonta...3.181771.5771846193/10152273256816194/?type=1

If you disagree with somebody opinions, fine, you certainly have the right to you own opinions, but quoting my post using the word "****" wont change my mind.:rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom