Altec Lansing VOTT 1205A's

KTKimi

Hi, Does anyone have any idea what a used, but still useable pair of Altec Lansing Voice of the Theater 1205A speakers might be worth?

Thanks for any ideas. I can't seem to come up with much just Googling them.

kt

If all the components are correct, it's condition dependent. Rode hard and put up wet, maybe 400-500 at best up to a grand for the most nicely preserved examples.

Where did you find them? what condition are they in? have they been tested and everything work? Do you have pics? do they look like these?

attachment.php

Last edited:
More info on Altec Lansing VOTT 1205As

Hi Dswankey, Yes, they are the same speakers as in the Neil Young poster. My father actually bought these years ago and had them in our living room! Then my husband and I used them with some multi-media shows (picture 12 slide projectors and a 12x 36 foot wide screen in auditoriums) for a few years. They have been in storage and I think they still work, although we are not sure now just how we hooked them up to the AL 1210 Console. Would there be a way to test them out with something other than the 1210 Console? I think they are in pretty good condition. We never had any problems with them. Attached are some pics of the pair and the console. What do you think?

Thanks,

kt

Attachments

• 1205sFront.jpg
    1205sFront.jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 106
  • 1205sBack.jpg
    1205sBack.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 93
  • 1205BackClose.jpg
    1205BackClose.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 70
  • 1210Console.jpg
    1210Console.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 86
I'm no expert or anything, but general condition (cosmetic & working), and availability will help to determine value. If for example you threw them up on your local CL then you have a limited market/audience which could limit what you could get for them, on the other hand if you were to list them on the bay you'd have a much larger audience potentially offering more money.

That being said I defer to bowtie427ss and his answer. The console included might even fetch more. At this level of money make sure they work before trying to sell them it's the best way to get top dollar.

Start at a grand including the console. Go lower if you have to. I checked eBay--the console is pretty close to worthless.

until seeing the pics, i didn't realize these are the "bi-amplified" versions.

Not to rain on the parade, but the model 771 bi-amplifier was probably one of Altec's least reliable and most problematic electronic products. Fortunately, it sounds like this pair have lived their entire lives in good hands, and they may well still be in working order having been spared the abuse of being owned by multiple garage/rock bands seeking concert level output from them.

The other mystery i get from the pics, the aluminum dustcap of the LF driver should be visible through the grill cloth, and it's not.

Also, the low location of the bi-amplifiers suggests these are fairly early examples. Most will have the bi-amplifiers mounted in the crossover network opening just below the "towel bar" handles.

As I recall, my Dad purchased these in the early 1960's if that helps with this mystery.

Thanks for all the input!

kt

The Altec musical sound products line launched in 1968, this was the beginning of Altec's marketing to the musician and portable/live sound market.

1205A was introduced in 1971.

I think of I remember correctly that serial number is from 1973. I'll have to see if I can find the serial # database to make sure. Value wise, I'd say $800.00.

All of the components carry date codes.

Look for 6 digit numbers beginning with "391". The last 3 digits represent the date, the first digit being the year, and the last 2 digits representing the week.

For example 391327 stamped on any component identifies it first as Altec via the 391 manufacturer code, and in the case of something like 1205A we know the second 3 represents the year 1973, verified by several factors such as the color of the components, alnico vs ferite, and the time span that the gear was actually produced in. 27 simply represents the 27th week of the year.

Back
Top Bottom