what speakers are you using with your Fisher 400?

bolero

what speakers are you using with your Fisher tube amp?

hopefully will be getting my 400 back from the shop soon, the phono circuit was noisy

I am curious what everyone else is using with their Fisher tube amp?

do any speakers match up particularily well with them?

thx!

Last edited:
My Fisher X100B int. amp has a choice of 3 speaks to drive. All of which he does quite well.
Klipsch forte'
Altec Bolero
Sansui SP3500
I know it's not a 400 but it IS a Fisher.

I don't have the 400, but on my 500-C, TA-800, TA-600, and X202B I only use My Klipsch, and Frazier speakers. Room size will have something to do with your choices. The Cornwalls seem to do no wrong with Fisher tube equipment, but they are BIG! Frazier speakers tend to fly under the radar, It really seems they were made for tubes, and wow will they surprise you.

I've run 400's on KLH 17, Dynaco A25's, Sansui SP200 and SP2500, Pioneer CS66G, New Large Advents, AR2ax's, minimus 7's, Scott S-10 and S-15's, Plus some 50's Lafeyette Coax in Homebuilt cab's, and Bozak (12" with the twin tweeters). It sounded very good on all of them. Some were brighter than others(depending on cap condition and speaker types.). Wharfdale 60's and 90's are supposed to sound excellent on the 400. As it's a mid watt unit, it should do well on most speakers.

I use Klipsch Forte with SET12 crossovers and titanium midrange and HF horns. The upgraded Klipsch Forte are far superior to stock. Best I ever heard are JBL L300s though.

I use Klipsch Forte with SET12 crossovers and titanium midrange and HF horns. The upgraded Klipsch Forte are far superior to stock. Best I ever heard are JBL L300s though.

I agree. :yes: :thmbsp:

I also second the recco for Wharfedale W90's/70's/60's

ah, I didn't mean to be exclusive, I just modified the original post to refer to all Fisher tube amps :thmbsp:

thx for the info!

I suppose they are all ~35w or less, so any speakers suitable for one of their models would apply to all

Last edited:
IMO, if the speakers sound good to begin with and they are of sufficient efficiency compatible with tube amps, usually 85db/watt/meter or better, more is better, they will continue sounding great on your Fisher tube amps. But thats just IMO.
Ive got magnavox consol pulls that sound just wonderful on my speakers mentioned above.
Others may not agree.

My x-202 has a choice of Dynaco A25s, A35s, Klipsch Quartets and KG 3.2s. I like the Quartets and the A25s the best.

I don't have a 400 but with my Fisher 50a mono amps/400c pre im running a 1960's pair of Braun L-1000 studio monitors,13 drivers per cabinet.Have a dandy pair of EV interface D's for back-up but nothing sounds as good to my ears as the brauns

hunter

I've run 400's on KLH 17, Dynaco A25's, Sansui SP200 and SP2500, Pioneer CS66G, New Large Advents, AR2ax's, minimus 7's, Scott S-10 and S-15's, Plus some 50's Lafeyette Coax in Homebuilt cab's, and Bozak (12" with the twin tweeters). It sounded very good on all of them. Some were brighter than others(depending on cap condition and speaker types.). Wharfdale 60's and 90's are supposed to sound excellent on the 400. As it's a mid watt unit, it should do well on most speakers.

For Wharfedales, the earlier ones with all cone-drivers are best for Fishers, due to the higher sensitivity/efficiency. The ones with the alnico Super 3 tweeters are an especially-outstanding match. My W90's are so-good with Fishers, it's freaky.

Speaking of Fisher, tomorrow I'll be picking up my 800C (early 1964) from Urban Antique Radio, which just got a full restoration including a quartet of n.o.s. Westinghouse 7591's and RCA long-plate 12AX7's. Thought I might have to settle for some lesser tube choices, but he searched around and found me the ones I REALLY wanted, so this is gonna' be fun. He even replaced the disintegrated foam rubber behind the faceplate and replaced missing tuner bulbs, so it should light up nice. It'll be nice to spin some vinyl again. My first fully-restored piece of tube hi-fi gear.

Last edited:
I'll bet your 2000A is Jealous as all get out, too. Is it getting any action, or is it just collecting dust now?

I'll bet your 2000A is Jealous as all get out, too. Is it getting any action, or is it just collecting dust now?

Well, 2000X actually, but same sound. The Snazui needs to go to the repair shop, but I wouldn't mind putting it back in the circuit. It's a catch-22 though. The 2000x is no joke, but with my W90's, the Fisher runs away with it. Put simply, the alnico Wharfies CRAVE tube gear, particularly the warm, involving, musical kind. But I haven't tried the Sansui since before I put oil caps in the W90's, so I don't want to pass final judgement until after it's back up and working proper again. It's hard to keep up with the repair & upkeep on numerous vintage items. I need to learn how to do more of this myself. I can solder the occasional capacitors and cartridge terminals, but tube-biasing is above my pay-scale.

I'm pumped about picking up the Fisher though. It's been a long month without it (Urban Audio finished it in 3 weeks, one of those weeks spent sourcing the tubes I really wanted).

Last edited:
I had a 2000A a couple years back and kick myself for getting rid of it. I have a 2000now(going backwards here...HAH!) and it's pretty much the same sound. I wouldn't mind another "A" or even an "X" one of these days. A/B one of them and a 1000A and the only difference I can tell is the wattage. They are that close in SQ although the 1000A has a bit more control with the added presence (high bass and mid boost). Probably the best series SANSUI made in the Early 70's.

OK now back to the FISHERS!!!!

Last edited:
I think we can safely say that most any speaker will sound good or better with a FISHER. Except for Panasonic "THRUSTERS"....There's no HOPE for them.

Back
Top Bottom