Now that's the build quality I'm talking about

Vintagear

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Preface: This post is about build quality and real measurable specifications which are objective and not about sound quality which is subjective.

"Yamaha still builds ‘em like they used to"

"Remember those big ol' amplifiers with the level meters on the front? They were, and still are, the envy of many audiophiles, conjuring the glory days of overbuilt audio gear when sound quality trumped features and connectivity. But you don't have to scour specialty shops for the remaining few vintage amps out there. Yamaha has created a modern version, with all the benefits of those classic amps — even the level meters — alongside the latest audio technology. The A-S3000 integrated amplifier is a seriously sophisticated machine with an important mission: to get the best performance from your speakers while keeping every detail of your music intact."

That's quote is from the Crutchfield online catalog describing the beautiful Yamaha A-S3000. This beautiful amp was brought to my attention by an astute AK member as a modern alternative to the build quality and real power of a Sansui AU-20000. Although the power is lower and the distortion is higher on on the Yamaha I'll take it.

It seems like you really have to pay for that build quality of yesterday. The inflation adjusted price of the Sansui was $2,500 "street price" and $3,993 retail vs. the Yamaha at $6,999.99 "street price" and $7,999.95 retail. Notice how Yamaha highlights the innards of this bad boy (nice video too).

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/hifi-components/amps/a-s3000_u/?mode=model

http://www.musicdirect.com/p-161292-yamaha-a-s3000-integrated-amp.aspx

I can't imagine what something with the performance and build quality of a 61 lb. Sansui AU-X1 would cost today.

http://audio-database.com/SANSUI/amp/au-x1-e.html

Last edited:
I'll ask again, what do meters have to do with audio quality? Sure they look nice (eye candy) and may be helpful in some situations, but, what do they have to do with audio quality?

I'll ask again, what do meters have to do with audio quality? Sure they look nice (eye candy) and may be helpful in some situations, but, what do they have to do with audio quality?

Please don't derail this thread. I guess what you are leading to is that without the meters it an A-S2000. I disagree.

Build quality is no guarantee of sound quality. Being an audiophile, I think sound quality is paramount.

Build quality is no guarantee of sound quality. Being an audiophile, I think sound quality is paramount.

Please read the preface. While what you say is true, if we go down the sound quality route there will be an opinion for every set of ears on AK. I don't think build quality will be as divisive.

I made no comment about the sound quality or lack thereof in the amplifier in question. Actually I would think and hope that Yamaha got it right and has produced a good sounding (good looking too) amplifier. I still fail to understand what having meters has to do with audio quality.

I like meters, they're nice to look at. They impress guests and attractive women. However, they have absolutely nothing to do with audio quality. Most of them do not even accurately reflect actual amplifier output power.

Eye candy, yes. Have an effect on the audio, puleeeeeze!

BTW: IMO the amplifier in question is absolutely gorgeous and seems to have a very good build quality. I haven't heard it so I can't comment on its sound.

I made no comment about the sound quality or lack thereof in the amplifier in question. Actually I would think and hope that Yamaha got it right and has produced a good sounding (good looking too) amplifier. I still fail to understand what having meters has to do with audio quality.

I like meters, they're nice to look at. They impress guests and attractive women. However, they have absolutely nothing to do with audio quality. Most of them do not even accurately reflect actual amplifier output power.

Eye candy, yes. Have an effect on the audio, puleeeeeze!

BTW: IMO the amplifier in question is absolutely gorgeous and seems to have a very good build quality. I haven't heard it so I can't comment on its sound.

Respectfully, I think you misread/misunderstood the Crutchfield quote. They never said or implied that the meters benefit the audio or sound but that meters were one of the benefits that old amps had.

Man,
Someone want to buy me one of these?
I do like the looks, but i own some yamaha units so i may be bias.

oooooo discrete MM and MC stages... :thmbsp:

Although at that price point there is no shortage of very well built modern equipment, the likes of which you are referring to - but it is refreshing to see larger brands entering the foray again...

Last edited:
It's nice but I would rather have a McIntosh MA8000.
There is nothing wrong with eye candy if it has the sound quality to back it up.
I like my eye candy blue.

There's no tone and/or loudness controls on the M6500i.

I understand that doesn't bother some people, but I refuse to purchase any stereo amp that doesn't have these controls.

You don't want to go down the sound quality road, but you bold-faced the following "when sound quality trumped features and connectivity".

Anyway, how about this little unit?
44lbs in a 16x13x8" chassis for only $2195:

images

412cayin.bac2.jpg

or a Luxman L505?
1.jpg

L505u_inside_small.jpg

The A-S500 seems like it gives the real bang for the buck. 5% the price of the top of the line model 3 db. less output.

Last edited:
You don't want to go down the sound quality road, but you bold-faced the following "when sound quality trumped features and connectivity".

Good catch, I fixed it. Is that better?

how about this little unit?
44lbs in a 16x13x8" chassis for only $2195:

Don't know the specs but while I assume it's well built it does not make me think of the physical build quality of an AU-20000.

a Luxman L505?
Love the Luxman (always have) but it doesn't seem to go to the extreme of the A-S3000.

Back
Top Bottom