Quartet Restore (first try)

Your project is a great inspiration to those of us who have not tackled veneering - - yet.

Many thanks for sharing. :thmbsp:

Took some time off, but now back at it. Wanted to make sure I included a few additional points for other first timers....

This is a pretty good description of the techniques to consider when getting the finish you're looking for. Basically, the spray on lacquer finish is pretty undesirable after 3-4 coats due to it's inherent coarseness. So, wet sanding and polishing is needed to really get that furniture grade finish you might be looking for:

http://www.woodweb.com/knowledge_base/Rubbing_Out_Wood_Finishes.html

Last edited:
Finished up the second cabinet and very happy that the finish matched!

I wouldn't separate the first and second speakers if I had to do it again. I think there's more efficiency in supplies and labor, not to mention matching finishes, by doing them at the same time.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Here's a quick look at the caulking going into the seams on the interior of the cabinet. I had left this step out of my first cabinet. Pretty straightforward step. Will it make a significant difference?

I don't know, but since the patient is open, nothing to lose by trying.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 33
And, done.

That took longer than I had hoped, but that's summertime audio projects, I suppose....

Finished pics below....two lessons: veneer rocks and if you haven't tried it, please do! Plenty of errors and miscues, but wood is an imperfect medium and if you remember that, who cares how a bunch of small mistakes might look?

Also, cherry is a tough stain not to love...so many dark or black cabinets, the lighter finish really differentiates.

Thanks for following along and so much encouragement. Good karma to you!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 30
And one more...

Oh, how do the sound? Just awesome. The upgrades are really tight and really shine with live music....and really everything I throw at it. Driving them with a Pioneer SA-7700...a great vintage amp.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 21
Back
Top Bottom