Volume Knob for CX-2000 Control Amplifier

bmanone

Anyone know if a replacement volume knob for an A-S2000 (WN030100) will fit a CX-2000 Control Amplifier? Does anyone with an A-S2000 have the volume knob dimensions handy (diameter and depth)?:scratch2:
Thanks,
Barry

CX-1000 should be the same. I have a CX-1000 in the shop.I will get the dimensions when I get off work.If someone doesn't beat me to it.

Last edited:
Avionic,
Thanks for the help. I think the only difference between the CX-1000 and CX-2000 volume knob is the color. Do you have any leads where I can find one, a quick internet search did not turn up one.
Barry

Do you have any leads where I can find one
They are usually attached to a pre-amp.:D No. I'm afraid not. To answer your question.

Yep, I'm wondering what happened to knob on the pre-amp I'll be getting in a few days. :scratch2: I hope there is one that will work from a current model Yamaha still has spare parts available.
Does the knob on CX-1000 have a set screw to hold it on?
Thanks for your help!
Barry

CX-1000

45mm X 17mm with a 2mm recess on the back side to clear the volume control's hex nut. Held on with a 2mm setscrew.

Avionic,
Thanks for the dimensions.:thmbsp: Now I need to figure the dimension for volume knob on newer silver faced models like the A-S1000/A-S2000. Maybe the Yamaha parts department can get me the dimensions.
Thanks again,
Barry

Yamaha CX-2000 Is In The House

FedEx delivered the pre-amp yesterday undamaged.:thmbsp: I set it up in my system and it sounds much better to me than the C-45 I was using.:music: All the analog inputs work, however none of the digital inputs work (optical or coaxial). Good thing I have an Emotiva XDA-2 DAC. Does anyone have any suggestion on what to do to resolve the digital input problem?:scratch2:

The seller stated that he had tested the unit except video, and all was in working order. Should I ask the seller for some compensation due to the non-working digital inputs?
Thanks,
Barry

FedEx delivered the pre-amp yesterday undamaged.:thmbsp: I set it up in my system and it sounds much better to me than the C-45 I was using.:music: All the analog inputs work, however none of the digital inputs work (optical or coaxial). Good thing I have an Emotiva XDA-2 DAC. Does anyone have any suggestion on what to do to resolve the digital input problem?
Thanks,
Barry

How is your digital techniques..:D
http://electronicsclub.info/gates.htm
AND gate..
high & high = high
high & low = low
low & high = low
etc...............................................:D Big help..:D

avionic,
Thanks for your reply. I wonder if the Accessory Jack coupler switch and circuit might be causing the issue?
Barry

Avionic,
My digital technique is weak to non-existent, however cleaning the accessory coupler switch solved the problem. Now all the digital inputs work.:thmbsp:
The built in DAC sounds very good, but not quite as open and natural sounding as my outboard DAC. I guess DACs are a little better today than they were 1988.
I’m considering replacing the electrolytic capacitors in the pre-amp and was hoping you could share your opinion on these question::scratch2:

Do all the electrolytic capacitors need to be replaced? I don’t plan on using the video functions on the unit, so I think can skip the capacitors on the video input board (Digital Circuit Board (3)). Are the any other sections/boards I can skip?

Should I replace only capacitors that test bad, or replace all the electrolytic capacitors?

Are there any special size/shape capacitors beyond the typical uf x Voltage rating that needs to be considered? For instance I know c478 (6800 uf x 16v) on the Digital Circuit Board (1) has height constraints, the one in the unit is approximately 1in tall by 1in diameter.

Based on your experience do you think that replacing the capacitors in a ~26 year old CX-1000/CX-2000 will improve the quality of the sound?​

Thanks,
Barry

The volume knob for the A-S2000 (part number WN030100) works and looks pretty good to me. :thmbsp:

picture.php

Avionic thanks for the dimensions for the original knob, it helped decide to order the replacement from Yamaha.:bigok:

Sweet.
Pull the digital board loose and have a gander at the digital connections -solder connections to the PCB.
Are you using the optical Toslink. One of those TX or RX pieces may have a cracked solder connect.
Yes, C478 maybe a tough one to come up with.
I would go with panasonic stacked film caps for all those 1uf/50v at the rear of the main board.

I completed the re-cap on my CX-2000, I used mostly Nichicon KA series capacitors and replaced the smaller than 1uf capacitors with Panasonic stacked film caps. I didn’t replace the capacitors on the composite video input board (Digital Circuit Board (3)) and 6 x 22uf bipolar capacitors (ordered the wrong type capacitor). About a third of the capacitors measured at or below the low end of the tolerance for capacitance. After the recap and re-assembly I adjusted the offset per the service manual, but I didn’t adjust the Distortion Degree (see the service manual, page 7, Adjustments – Step 1: I’m not sure how to do this adjustment). The preamp sounds better than before to me.:thmbsp:
My son made a time-laps composite video using digital photo stills at an interval of 5 seconds between shots of the re-cap, I thought you guys might get a kick out of it. Here’s a link: https://vimeo.com/104352260 (no sound) :D

I completed the re-cap on my CX-2000, I used mostly Nichicon KA series capacitors and replaced the smaller than 1uf capacitors with Panasonic stacked film caps. I didn’t replace the capacitors on the composite video input board (Digital Circuit Board (3)) and 6 x 22uf bipolar capacitors (ordered the wrong type capacitor). About a third of the capacitors measured at or below the low end of the tolerance for capacitance. After the recap and re-assembly I adjusted the offset per the service manual, but I didn’t adjust the Distortion Degree (see the service manual, page 7, Adjustments – Step 1: I’m not sure how to do this adjustment). The preamp sounds better than before to me.:thmbsp:
My son made a time-laps composite video using digital photo stills at an interval of 5 seconds between shots of the re-cap, I thought you guys might get a kick out of it. Here’s a link: https://vimeo.com/104352260 (no sound) :D

ROFLMAO That video is hilarious.

....... The preamp sounds better than before to me.:thmbsp:

Glad to hear that!. Was the sound OK before the recap? Would you say is worth the effort, ...and that was some effort...liked the video BTW :thmbsp:

Back
Top Bottom