CR-2040 meter not working

myu701

Vintage futurist
I'm considering a CR-2040... I'd long wanted a CR-2020 but I've come to like the improvements made on the 40 series and they're easier to find. Anyway, I found one for a reasonable price with the usual bulbs out issue, but one of the meters (left signal) is not functioning. Is this a fairly common and easy issue to fix?

Last edited:
Is this a fairly common and easy issue to fix?
Might be real easy..
Make sure the METER switch, next to the speaker selector knob is in the LEVEL position.:thmbsp:

Last edited:
^ Thanks for the advice. I may still end up with this... Will post back if I do get it.

I thought I lost it... but seller was just out of town. Going to check it out this weekend and hopefully a little wiggle of a control will get the meter working again. :scratch2:

Got it! :thmbsp:

Seller was really nice. Set it up and played music through AUX and tuner, everything sounded just fine. All switches work. No static with the volume knob. Tuner pulls in stations pretty well.

So... two things.

I got it home and took off the wooden casing. OMG. A thin fuzzy layer of dust over the entire circuit board! Definitely not going to power it up again until that is cleaned up. Any recommendations as to how to proceed? I'd hate to have to disassemble the thing. I'm thinking of using just a fine dry paint brush and a can of compressed air.

Next... that left channel meter is not working. Seller said it was working fine for years, then after he took the receiver out of storage to use recently, it wasn't moving. So... sitting idle, doing nothing. Maybe upon power up something happened? Is there a connector to check somewhere on the main board? If something has to be replaced, would it be some inner component or does the whole meter need to be swapped out?

CR2040 meter not working (left one)

Next... that left channel meter is not working. Seller said it was working fine for years, then after he took the receiver out of storage to use recently, it wasn't moving. So... sitting idle, doing nothing.

OK , do you have a voltmeter and can you measure dc mV across each meter with music at normal level ? See if you have almost the same value .
If yes your meter is out and then send a PM .
If not it is coming from the meter circuit (switch , component ) difficult to say from here ....
Keep us informed about result

Thanks for your reply, clinic-audio. I do have a voltmeter -- great idea. I'm not at home right now, but do you recall if the contact points of the meters are pretty easy to access or is some disassembling required?

Hello

Here is the meter circuit schematic just to help you to find contacts points on the main pcb if meter contact are not easy to check

Attachments

• CR2040-meter-circuit-schematic.jpg
    CR2040-meter-circuit-schematic.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 23

Step 2

localisation on main PCB . You just have to take off the top cover of the unit , that's all !

Attachments

• CR2040-meter-point-main-pcb.jpg
    CR2040-meter-point-main-pcb.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:

Step 3

Details of meter test points

Left is between LM and E (ground)
Right one is between RM and E

Waiting to read your report

Attachments

• CR2040-meter-section-details.jpg
    CR2040-meter-section-details.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 22
Step 3

Details of meter test points

Left is between LM and E (ground)
Right one is between RM and E

Waiting to read your report

Excellent! I have the service manual, but I wouldn't have any idea about jumping the LM or RM to the last "E" contact point. Thanks very much. I should be able to do this in a few days and will report back. :yes:

Well, haven't been able to make time for this as yet. I'm in the throes of a hectic work schedule on top of actually moving to a new apartment. Might be another week before I can get to it, but will report back. Thanks again.

Well, haven't been able to make time for this as yet. I'm in the throes of a hectic work schedule on top of actually moving to a new apartment. Might be another week before I can get to it, but will report back. Thanks again.

I'm curious about this issue. I have a Sanyo integrated amp with two VU meters. A very long time ago, one meter was not working, but I determined that it was "stuck." I got the meter away from the faceplate and found, covered in plastic film, a tiny screw at the base of the needle. I punctured the plastic film and loosened the screw. Meter works.

Is it possible yours is just stuck?

Back
Top Bottom