Tekton Owners Thread

"Did I jinx the thread?" Don't think so - I'm still waiting for the Lore Ss to break in. Mids & bass still have a ways to develop (I might be around 45 - 50 hours to date). I see they are on sale now but I'm not complaining - I got my moneys worth.

Morganc - the downside of on line sales is its hard to compare the models; earlier in this thread it was noted how closely the entire Lore family specs out. Makes it difficult to decide. The Pendragons are too large for my room but I was tempted. I've read they sound quite nice.

Hey guys. I have owned Pendragons and Lores in the past and am now looking for a pair for my bedroom and am trying to decide M-Lore vs Lore vs Lore Reference. Has anyone who has heard the Lore reference heard the M-Lore or Lore?

I have the Lore Reference, but don't know how it compares to the others. There's yet another model to consider, though, and that is the Oriel-Ten ($850), which they call a budget Lore. Too many choices!

I pulled the trigger on gloss red Lore References. I am going to pair them with a Decware mini torii, which when paired with Lores in the past was one of the best pairings I have ever heard!

BTW, any of you on the fence out there about the Pendragons or Lores should take a listen or take a risk and order a pair. I still miss my Pendragons, and in some ways enjoyed them more than my old Zu Definition mk IV's. Now I have GR research Super V's in my living room, and they do beat the Pendragon's hands down, but that is the case with most speakers vs the Super V's.

I recently moved my M Lores from my living room to my listening room and am loving them even more. The lower powered gear I have in the listening room is a better match for the Tektons than what I was using before plus the smaller room helps too ;)

I pulled the trigger on gloss red Lore References. I am going to pair them with a Decware mini torii, which when paired with Lores in the past was one of the best pairings I have ever heard!

BTW, any of you on the fence out there about the Pendragons or Lores should take a listen or take a risk and order a pair. I still miss my Pendragons, and in some ways enjoyed them more than my old Zu Definition mk IV's. Now I have GR research Super V's in my living room, and they do beat the Pendragon's hands down, but that is the case with most speakers vs the Super V's.

Damn man! Pendragons and Super Vs. Please tell us more. I believe you are the first AK member who has owned Pendragons. Please give us more information as to their sound qualities.

I'd also, being an Open Baffle user, interested in getting more info on your GRs. Specifically what you drive them with room size etc. Also, can you tell me what driver models they use. And welcome to AK!

cubdog

Morganc, I just noticed you've been a member since 2011 so I guess my welcome is a bit belated. Don't be such a stranger.

cubdog

You and I have the same turntable and amp.Is the 301 powerful enough for the Lores?I really want to try a pair myself.
Jimmy

The Lores are very efficient, 98 dB 1W@1m (listed). I was driving mine with a 7 watt tube amp for a while and they were plenty loud.

A modified P-Audio coax which is no longer made and dual 12" servo subs.
http://gr-research.com/super-v.aspx

Yes, this is it. Check out the GR Research forum on Audiocircle. Danny Richie is the owner/designer and he actually has a new OB low price model that is just coming out. He really knows OB. And there is a Super V pair for sale on AC as well. They are pretty much no longer available as the driver is no longer made. But the Servo Subs and the OB mate very well together. I drive them with a pair of Joule Electra Monoblocks. They are massive beasts that provide a pretty holographic all encompassing sound stage.

Damn man! Pendragons and Super Vs. Please tell us more. I believe you are the first AK member who has owned Pendragons. Please give us more information as to their sound qualities.

I'd also, being an Open Baffle user, interested in getting more info on your GRs. Specifically what you drive them with room size etc. Also, can you tell me what driver models they use. And welcome to AK!

cubdog

The Pendragons I had when they first came out. I really loved them and only sold them because I got a very good deal on a pair of Zu Definitions. The PArt Time Audiophile review is pretty spot on. The bass on them was a bit boomy in my old, untreated listening room, though I heard them at a friends house and he did not have that problem at all. Amazing tone, timber, and dynamics. I loved them and miss them in some ways.

My M-Lore's are thoroughly broken in now. I have run them extensively with the following gear:

AMPS:
-Pass F5 Amp
-Bottlehead Stereomour Integrated Amp (ran as amp)
-Dennis Had Inspire KT88 Amp
-AppJ MiniWatt (ran as amp)
-Emotiva UPA-200 Amp
-Kenwood KA-5700 Integrated Amp (Re-capped and restored)

Preamps:
-Audio Research SP16 Preamp
-Dennis Had Inspire Preamp

Source:
-Squeezebox Touch w/Chord Chordette Qute HD DAC
-Onkyo DX-C390 CDPw/Sim Audio Moon 100D DAC
-Technics SL-Q2 TT (Ortofon 2M Red Cart)
-JVC QL-F4 TT (LP GEAR AT95SA Cart)

Subwoofer:
Rythmik FV12 Servo Subwoofer

I tried the phono section on the ARC SP16, the Kenny, and I also tried a budget Emotiva XPS-1 phono section. I used decent cables: Morrow SP4's, MA 3's and Dig2. I also tried budget Signal Cables and White Lightning speaker leads. My goal when buying these speakers was to get a set of second speakers. They had to not need a subwoofer, be at least 95db sensitive, be able to handle high wattage, and not break the bank. The M-Lore's have delivered. I think I am keeping these for awhile . I tried about every combination available with the above mentioned gear and learned some things about them. Some bullet comments:

• They are efficient, but at least 3 or 4 db less than my Hornshoppe Horns.
  • Well built, easy on the eyes, just not Sonus Faber well built.
  • Big soundstage and nice imaging.
  • Nice bass.
  • Fast, snappy, dynamic with great attack.
  • Great tone with a "live" demeanor.

A couple of things to note. I felt they were best paired with amps that had some wattage. Although they sounded good with my low powered tube gear, they were even better with SS amps. I was also surprised by how well they did with the vintage Kenwood KA-5700 and in fact this combo proved to have the best bass without a subwoofer. Also, sometimes when in my listening chair, the soundstage seemed lower than my listening height. I almost want to try some small stands or tilt them upward, but feel I may lose some low bass response. The M-Lore's sounded good with my best equipment as well as with my not so great gear such as my 80's mid-fi TT's. I liked them better augmented with a sub, although I could easily live without the sub. As good as the M-Lore's sound, my Hornshoppe GHH's are by far the superior speaker as long as the GHH's have a sub. The GHH's have better highs and far more clarity and resolution, but I can honestly say that I am very happy with my M-Lore's. At over less than half the price of my Great Heiled Horns's, I can live with that.

Last edited:
Having owned Zu's with Eminence drivers and spending an afternoon with the GHH's your conclusions are pretty much as I expected.

I've heard the Fostex 4.5 is a favorite with Eric but as you noted it needs bass augmentation.

The fit and finish of my Fostex Tektons are comparable to the Zu's which was first class.

Source:

• They are efficient, but at least 3 or 4 db less than my Hornshoppe Horns.
  • Well built, easy on the eyes, just not Sonus Faber well built.
  • Big soundstage and nice imaging.
  • Nice bass.
  • Fast, snappy, dynamic with great attack.
  • Great tone with a "live" demeanor.

A couple of things to note. I felt they were best paired with amps that had some wattage. Although they sounded good with my low powered tube gear, they were even better with SS amps. I was also surprised by how well they did with the vintage Kenwood KA-5700 and in fact this combo proved to have the best bass without a subwoofer. Also, sometimes when in my listening chair, the soundstage seemed lower than my listening height. I almost want to try some small stands or tilt them upward, but feel I may lose some low bass response. The M-Lore's sounded good with my best equipment as well as with my not so great gear such as my 80's mid-fi TT's. I liked them better augmented with a sub, although I could easily live without the sub. As good as the M-Lore's sound, my Hornshoppe GHH's are by far the superior speaker as long as the GHH's have a sub. The GHH's have better highs and far more clarity and resolution, but I can honestly say that I am very happy with my M-Lore's. At over less than half the price of my Great Heiled Horns's, I can live with that.

My Lore Reference are not broken in yet, but I would have to agree with the last 4 on your list. I also noticed the soundstage being lower despite the fact that I have them tilted back a little less than 1 degree. I may increase the tilt to see what that does. So far, I must say that I am not sorry I bought them. They really seem to have what it takes to make up for what the Maggies lack. If they keep getting better, I'll be a happy guy.

I'm at about 70 hours & can't say how impressed I am with the Lore S's. If they give a bit of presence to the Vandersteen CI's (rebuilt with upgraded mid ranges), they make up for it in spades with detail and crispness. Bottom end has filled out nicely without being boomy and and its easy on a good recording to pick out each instrument individually. Last night we were listening to a passage where a piano & female vocalist did a phrase together. Instead of hearing one sound combined, I could hear a voice & a piano. I was concerned that the detail the Seas drivers are know for would make listening fatiguing (at one time I had a bad match with some Yamaha equipment that would make your ears bleed after about an hour), but that is not the case. The speakers are "comfortable" & musical. The Lore S's are exceeding my expectations now, if they have another 30 hours of growth in them as MWalt suggests, well, I just can't imagine. I'm not a professional reviewer by any means but wanted to share my impressions to date. Excuse me now, I think I'll go listen some more......

I'm at about 70 hours & can't say how impressed I am with the Lore S's. If they give a bit of presence to the Vandersteen CI's (rebuilt with upgraded mid ranges), they make up for it in spades with detail and crispness. Bottom end has filled out nicely without being boomy and and its easy on a good recording to pick out each instrument individually. Last night we were listening to a passage where a piano & female vocalist did a phrase together. Instead of hearing one sound combined, I could hear a voice & a piano. I was concerned that the detail the Seas drivers are know for would make listening fatiguing (at one time I had a bad match with some Yamaha equipment that would make your ears bleed after about an hour), but that is not the case. The speakers are "comfortable" & musical. The Lore S's are exceeding my expectations now, if they have another 30 hours of growth in them as MWalt suggests, well, I just can't imagine. I'm not a professional reviewer by any means but wanted to share my impressions to date. Excuse me now, I think I'll go listen some more......

How about some pics of your set up. Since you spent a lot of time on a remodel you should show off you're work! :thmbsp:

Back
Top Bottom