Comparing the yamaha AS 500 to the newer AS 501

Coop34

Folks,

I am seeking opinions regarding the advantages of the Yamaha 501 over the 500. Yes, the 501 has a built in DAC. But is this alone worth the extra $150? Or would the money be better spent on an updated CD player or an external DAC?

Will I regret going cheap and getting the 500 instead of the more expensive 501?

Thanks

From my understanding the amp sections are the same they just updated things with the addition of the DAC. Either way is not a bad option. You would have more options via an external DAC but I'm sure the one in the 501 is quite acceptable.

i have the as500 its a awesome bit of kit for the money the 501 is the same amp section the difference is the built in dac. from what i can make out the dac section is pretty good so may be worth the extra cash you would be best to try an get a listen against a stand alone dac an see what you think. :)

That Amazon price looks really good. You are trading a DAC for a record out selector, Yamaha dropped that on the 501 vs the 500.

500 vs 501

The big question would seem to be whether or not you have a DAC or want/need a new one. If not get the amp without the dac. Other way to look at it is that DAc technology is changing rapidly and with that comes improved performance and declining cost. Amp tech is far more stable and so you have little risk there. If you think you would rather buy your own dac or would want to upgrade to a better one then go for the basic amp. If not and you need a dac and will keep it for 2-3 years minimum then buy the one with the dac included.

The 501 lost the REC OUT knob if that's important. I'd only get the 501 since it's in Silver now. Otherwise the 500 would do just fine for me. I don't need a DAC

I was just in the same boat as you! I've read countless positive reviews for the A-S500, and found they can be had cheaply as open-box or scratch and dent specials. In the end, I decided to replace my receiver with an integrated amp, as I only have 2 speakers and don't need all the bells and whistles. For my setup, I did need the optical input and had to spring for the new A-S501. The ability to use it with my TV, blu ray player, etc is worth the cost. Especially true since I have to answer for all my purchases to the lady of the house. "But dear, we can use it with the TV!" Moreover, all the 500's I've run across have been black, whereas I prefer the silver on the 501 to match the other vintage Yamaha's I've restored.

If you are on the lookout for a non-amazon deal, I was able to get mine for around $100 off MSRP from the open-box section of crutchfield this morning. I'm excited to demo it!

Hello All.

Long time lurker, but this is my first post here. I was at a Best Buy last month to meet a friend as she needed my help/advice in buying a laptop. Well, as I was waiting for her, I walked around and found a A-S500 in a box, marked down. Apparently, it was a "customer return". I inspected it and not a mark anywhere on it. Could have sworn it was new. Saw the price on it - "$125" and proceeded to carry it out to the cashier! It was an impulse buy (hard to resist at that price), and it's in my bedroom now, driving a pair of Epos Epic 2's. If I hadn't made this plunge, I would surely have jumped on the A-S501 that was selling recently on Amazon for $372. Perhaps the Yamaha A-S5XX is the modern day NAD 3020.

- Lee -

Hello All.

Long time lurker, but this is my first post here. I was at a Best Buy last month to meet a friend as she needed my help/advice in buying a laptop. Well, as I was waiting for her, I walked around and found a A-S500 in a box, marked down. Apparently, it was a "customer return". I inspected it and not a mark anywhere on it. Could have sworn it was new. Saw the price on it - "$125" and proceeded to carry it out to the cashier! It was an impulse buy (hard to resist at that price), and it's in my bedroom now, driving a pair of Epos Epic 2's. If I hadn't made this plunge, I would surely have jumped on the A-S501 that was selling recently on Amazon for $372. Perhaps the Yamaha A-S5XX is the modern day NAD 3020.

- Lee -

You lucky son of a...I am envious as hell. I would pay that in a heartbeat right now.

Hello All.

- Lee -

they are getting that sort of buzz about them, huh? At any rate, welcome to AK and congrats on that deal. I paid $400 for mine, and no regrets.:music:

Back
Top Bottom