Goodbye Static Pops and Clicks

Jfh535

So, Ive been suffering from some serious static problems with my turntable. I didnt want to spend the money on a static gun, but I did invest in a cleaning kit to try and alleviate the static problem. However, due to the dryness of this New England winter the problem was persistent.
Last night while talking about this with my wife she told me about a trick that she uses to keep static out of her hair, which is to wrap the hairbrush handle in dryer sheets. Well, Id try anything at this point, because I just cannot tolerate the pops and clicks after spending so much on my rig and records. So, this morning I took my record mat off the table, laid out four dryer sheets taped together, traced my mat onto the dryer sheets, and then cut the sheets into a disk. I put the dryer sheet disk directly onto the platter, placed my mat on top, put a new record on the table, and guess what.......NO MORE STATIC!!!!! Holy s**t! Why have I not come across this trick on the web? I have done so many searches for a solution, and never seen this offered up. I dont know why.
If you suffer the static pops and clicks, try this out. Let me know how it goes for you.

The record doesnt touch the dryer sheet. it sits between the bare platter and the slip mat.

I don't know if residue would be transferred to the record, as the OP placed the dry sheet on the platter and then the mat over the dryer sheet. No contact with the record. This year, I added a humidifier to my listening room in the cellar, no static issues.

Gruv-Glide seems to get rid of static. Been using it off and on for nearly 25 years now. If properly applied it seems to take care of static and "assist" in the cleaning process.

:thmbsp: Good to see you found a solution.

I've never had a problem with static in the last 15 years since purchasing an RCM ... not trying to talk you into an RCM ... it's just a statement of my experience.

Every record that is placed on my TT goes through the RCM first ... every-time, vac then play. I believe the moisture takes care of the static. Most people don't clean vinyl like I do (vac every time) ... but it's the way I've been doing it for the last 15 years. I don't batch clean.

I remember using a static gun back in the day ... I still have the gun but never use it anymore. It was part of my Discwasher record kit that I purchased in the 80's.

683581-vintage_discwasher_record_cleaning_kit_w_zerostat_pistol.jpg

Glad this helped you!

However, it never worked for me.

I use an old Discwasher brush, a small 99 cent spritz bottle filled with 50% distilled water, and the other half is 91% IPA. Wet the brush with a few spritzes, drag it across the vinyl, let it spin for 30 seconds, all good.

The record doesnt touch the dryer sheet. it sits between the bare platter and the slip mat.

Oops- I missed that. Now I am wondering why it works in this capacity at all. The sheets need heat (dryer) to release the anions in the fabric softener. I do not doubt that what you say works, but I am a science guy and try to figure things out from that angle.

... pondering, pondering...

There was a reason why platter mats used to be made from slightly conductive rubber. Those who use cork or othe materials just ignore the problem.

Sorry to rehash old subjects in this thread. I had searched for solutions so many times using google, but never had come across this solution for some reason. Im wondering why my Google search didn't turn up any of the previous threads about this solution from Audiokarma. Seriously, it was driving me INSANE. I had gone back to my CDs for tinker free listening. Anyways, Ive been thrilled with it all morning. I can finally enjoy my records again. Sorry again for the old news.

It never hurts to revisit from time to time; threads get buried, lost in time, and the ideas move further away from the collective consciousness. Don't sweat it. :thmbsp:

I've tried it before without positive results. I did not care for the little bit of debris that the sheets left in the general area. I did not go to the lengths of the OP to carefully cut and place the sheets.

Works for you? That's all that matters and happy :music:

I had the same problem and bought a leather (suede) mat and the problem went away.

Is there a way to employ this trick when removing dried wood glue? There's always a massive static discharge when I do that.

Glad this helped you!

However, it never worked for me.

I use an old Discwasher brush, a small 99 cent spritz bottle filled with 50% distilled water, and the other half is 91% IPA. Wet the brush with a few spritzes, drag it across the vinyl, let it spin for 30 seconds, all good.

That is what I use. No static at all......

:)

Sorry to rehash old subjects in this thread. I had searched for solutions so many times using google, but never had come across this solution for some reason. Im wondering why my Google search didn't turn up any of the previous threads about this solution from Audiokarma. Seriously, it was driving me INSANE. I had gone back to my CDs for tinker free listening. Anyways, Ive been thrilled with it all morning. I can finally enjoy my records again. Sorry again for the old news.

Oh don't be sorry as bringing it up helps others.:thmbsp:

I don't know if residue would be transferred to the record, as the OP placed the dry sheet on the platter and then the mat over the dryer sheet. No contact with the record. This year, I added a humidifier to my listening room in the cellar, no static issues.

The humidity is the key. I have forced air furnace and it drys the air out; lots of static. Add the humidifier and no static; the house is also more comfortable. This is the same trick used in electronic assembly facilities for general static control.

Back
Top Bottom