Thorens Td160 mkII No right channel

omni434

The rest of the audio path is working properly, amp, preamp, speakers. Where would I start to see why I have no right channel?

I had similar unexplainable things happening on mine. I figured it was caused by static. I could fix the channel again by individually touching all the cartridge pins with a paperclip (amp low volume to prevent nasty hum). I guess this could be fixed if the turntable would have an earth wire soldered.

If it has the original RCA connectors it could be that ? Cut them off and solder on a new pair , might fix it ?

Start from the RCA connectors and work back.

1. Switch the RCA's going into the pre-amp. If the dead channel now becomes the left, the problem is the cabling. Replace the RCA cabling.

2. Make sure the head-shell pins going into the tonearm are clean and make a snug fit when inserted. I had a similar problem with a Thorens TP60 headshell and discovered that the pins were not inserted tight enough.

3. Make sure the four head-shell wires are in good condition and are soldered properly at all eight locations (four connecting to the cart and four connecting to the head-shell).

4. Switch the left/right cartridge connections. If after you switch the left/right connections the left speaker is dead, then it's the cartridge.

If after you have tried the above the problem still persists, then there's probably a bad connection in the tonearm wiring.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom