New Production Audio Technica AT-440MLa?

vincei

aka MasterControlMedia
I just bought another AT-440MLa from B&H and when I opened the box several things struck me. One is the cantilever is very shiny now compared to the others I've had. It also looks thinner. I also noticed the plastic grip and stylus guard seem "cheaper" than the older ones I've used. Any one notice this? Of course as soon as I mounted it, it sounded as good as ever, not sure why I try anything else LOL. :D

Just as a side note, the first Purple ML I got was in 1989/1990 or so, it was an AT-140ML with gold body, very pretty. The next one I got was an AT-440ML (early 90's), black body, mat finished cantilever and slightly tinted stylus guard. So they seem to be getting "cheaper", at least to my eye, then again, they still track better than anything I've tried. Who knows maybe the cantilever is improved?

Any comments? :scratch2:

Below are the AT-440ML and 140ML

Audio Technica AT-140ML by mastercontrolmedia, on Flickr

Off topic, but related. I've just received my ATN150MLX stylus and it certainly doesn't look like any nude stylus that I've ever seen. There is a 'cloud' of material surrounding the stylus. It doesn't look like a bushing. I wish that I had the ability to post magnified images!

I just ordered my first AT-440MLa today. I'm not sure if it's the right cart for me, but IGD on my Shure carts are starting to drive me crazy.

I wish the ATs still had the gold body in the OP's photo - that looks sweet!

Off topic, but related. I've just received my ATN150MLX stylus and it certainly doesn't look like any nude stylus that I've ever seen. There is a 'cloud' of material surrounding the stylus. It doesn't look like a bushing. I wish that I had the ability to post magnified images!

I noticed that on my 150MLX too, I think it's some sort of cement.

I just ordered my first AT-440MLa today. I'm not sure if it's the right cart for me, but IGD on my Shure carts are starting to drive me crazy.

I wish the ATs still had the gold body in the OP's photo - that looks sweet!

The 440MLa will solve IGD, as long as the groove is not damaged. I tried all types of styluses, but the ML is my favorite. I think you will be happy. :yes:

I noticed that on my 150MLX too, I think it's some sort of cement.

Exactly. Welcome to exotic cantilevers, in this case boron. They can't normally be pressure fitted through a hole in the cantilever like aluminum. They're glued.
neo

Looks like its going thru a square hole to me, then glued from the top side...........

Just like the other, older AT440MLa carts.

Looks like its going thru a square hole to me, then glued from the top side...........

Just like the other, older AT440MLa carts.

It does, like the older ones I had. I noticed on this one, the cantilever is a shiny aluminum, where as the older ones had a mat finish. Overall it looked like there was some cost cutting on the grip. Sounds great though...

Dang, I didn't know the ATx40 had been around so long. I always assumed it started with the AT440ML in the early 2000s!

I love my AT140LC and am seriously considering buying an AT440MLa for one of my other tables. I have seen the light of line contact/microline and it's glorious.

Last edited:
Dang, I didn't know the ATx40 had been around so long. I always assumed it started with the AT440ML in the early 2000s!

I love my AT140LC and am seriously considering buying an AT440MLa for one of my other tables. I have seen the light of line contact/microline and it's glorious.

Yep...I still remember when I upgraded from a Shure M105E to a AT-125LC in 1988, the sound improvement was great. I was so impressed, I bought the AT-140ML a year later and was impressed once again. From that point, I could not use anything else. I tried a few other cartridges recently to see if I feel the same way, and yes, no comparison in terms of tracking.

vincei: I'm still waiting for replies to several questions I asked AT Germany regarding some changes I spotted on the Japanese AT web-site - including the now glossy cantilever on the AT440MLb, which would indicate a slight downgrade from anodised to non-anodised alu. So thanks for your pics, 'cause your new AT440MLa not only seems to confirm that suspicion - but from AT's pic I also wasn't sure, whether that glossy variant would still be tapered or not, and from your pics it would appear tapered, so that the new version shouldn't be too much of a downgrade...

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

It does, like the older ones I had. I noticed on this one, the cantilever is a shiny aluminum, where as the older ones had a mat finish. Overall it looked like there was some cost cutting on the grip. Sounds great though...

I have 6 AT440MLa cartridges on various tables here. I think its the biggest bang for the buck MM out there. I bought mine when they were around $100. I also bought a supply of stylus assemblies for about $80 each. Even at its new price (about $329-350), its a great value for those that want to be a little frugal with their music dollars. The Absolute Sound gave it (and the 150) a recommended component listing, if that makes any difference or not.

They are virtually immune to hum, track like a bastard and have a fairly flat frequency response. My favorite table has it running the the iFi's iPhono preamp, it is producing a sound stage the is wide and deep.

Wayner

vincei: I'm still waiting for replies to several questions I asked AT Germany regarding some changes I spotted on the Japanese AT web-site - including the now glossy cantilever on the AT440MLb, which would indicate a slight downgrade from anodised to non-anodised alu. So thanks for your pics, 'cause your new AT440MLa not only seems to confirm that suspicion - but from AT's pic I also wasn't sure, whether that glossy variant would still be tapered or not, and from your pics it would appear tapered, so that the new version shouldn't be too much of a downgrade...

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Interesting. I am very detail oriented, so I noticed these differences right away. I find the overall build quality to be less than the the older ones. However, the good news is that I find it still sounds great and tracks very well as the older ones.

I have 6 AT440MLa cartridges on various tables here. I think its the biggest bang for the buck MM out there. I bought mine when they were around $100. I also bought a supply of stylus assemblies for about $80 each. Even at its new price (about $329-350), its a great value for those that want to be a little frugal with their music dollars. The Absolute Sound gave it (and the 150) a recommended component listing, if that makes any difference or not.

They are virtually immune to hum, track like a bastard and have a fairly flat frequency response. My favorite table has it running the the iFi's iPhono preamp, it is producing a sound stage the is wide and deep.

Wayner

I've bought several over the years myself and find them to be excellent as well. For me it's all about tracking and the Microline stylus does not disappoint.

The only thing I am not crazy about is the look. I prefer "square" cartridges, such as the older AT's and the Denon DL-110 for example. :music:

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

It looks like the frequency response on the AT440MLb is slightly greater than the current AT440MLa.

AT440MLa: 20-20,000 Hz
AT440MLb: 20 ~ 25,000Hz

Wayner N I see the 440mla for less than $200 US free shipping in stock from wal mart online?
Yes the stylus mount to the boron rod cantilever on the 150MLX is very slobby compared to the perfectly clean mount of my ML170/OCC boron tube cantilever!

SSd: I'd suggest not to waste much of a thought on that, 'cause unless properly defined (e.g. with a +/- 2 dB limit) frequency response specs are pretty worthless and somewhat arbitrary anyway. Just for example, the good old AT140LC was still specified with 5 Hz to 32 kHz.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Back
Top Bottom