Stanton 500 and Ortofon f15 S

RJee

Hi guys, i have two cartridges lying around, gotten from old turntables. Are these (Stanton 500 and Ortofon f15s) any good and worth getting new stiluses (stili) for?

Thanks

2ba75793b05c60f5171f3926c10deae7.jpg

I haven't heard neither, but I have owned all the VMS-series carts and that F15S was a spherical budget version. Ortofon has the tech data in their historical products section and they still sell somekind of replacement styli, albeit not the really good ones. It is a good cartridge I bet, even the humble VMS 10 I found very enjoyable.

The Stanton 500 is a very old and primitive design, but I hear it's a fun and enjoyable cart to listen to - if it's worth a new stylus is up to you, but it would probably be very nice for old and beat up records.

Compared to what though? Aren't most of the cartridges we have an old design?

Yes, but the 'old design' we are mostly stuck with is one or two generations younger than the 500 design, meaning we are stuck in the 70s instead of the 60s :D Of course materials have gone forward since then.

Being old and primitive is not necessarily a bad thing, but it usually means you're not looking into most transparent, accurate and detailed delivery, but on the other hand sometimes the simplest and cheapest things deliver something else fundamentally enjoyable, at which point you won't care.

Comparing the two carts in question, the Ortofon F15 could be compared to the later Stanton 680 series I think, both moving iron 4-coil designs (unless I'm mistaken), while the Stanton 500 was earlier and uses only two coils.

Thanks all for your replies. I guess I'll try each cart as is for a minute, with the current stylus and decide based on that. Also have a pickering xv15 which I love and an Ortofon om10 which I think is ok but a bit dull.

We still use Stanton 500 & 500 mkII cartridges at the radio station for broadcast use in Technics 1200 mkII turntables. Fortunately we have a decent stash of original Stanton stylus for them. It's a very good cartridge all things considered.

Playing Sonny Stitt on vinyl on the air right now, Stanton 500 in a Technics 1200 mkII. Sounds great on the studio monitors.

The 500, a rebadged Pickering was put into a lot of tables and universally well liked. No, not a 68x level cartridge but on a price performance competition very competitive. I think I read somewhere they are still produced, will not swear to it.

As for the 2 vs 4 coil fight, either can be 1st quality or trash, just a matter of design and whether the assembly person was sober of drunk that day. I think for consistent quality of a mass produced cartridge, so to speak, the only company was Grado when it hit the dealer's shelf. Next was Micro Acoustics. All, others were hit or miss; even their totl hand picked, tested and check pieces.

You may want to look at the Grados, also. Even for most of their older bodies they can supply a replacement stylii for. If I were to need a cartridge today, Grado would be at the top of the list.

I have an old Pickering V-15 which I believe is also the Stanton 500.
Mine came with a basic elliptical, and is designated the V-15 TE, and sounds fantastic in both my Technics SL-Q303 and SL-1210mk II. Very clean and detailed, but with a very powerful bass and smooth midrange :)
Not the easiest thing to find a stylus for, but I'm still on low milage with the original ugly old original!!
Going from memory, those old Ortofon cartridges used to sound good too.... back around 1980!! I don't know the F-15 S, but I do remember the elliptical; the FF-15E sounding pretty nice :)

I have the Stanton 500 in my MK2 and ordered the pickering floating stylus suggested to me by a person here on AK. I love the sound of this cart and have been hesitant on changing to my new Shure 97. if the Shure falls flat(doubt it will)I will be changing back.

wait. back up. did I say the 500 was good?
it's junk man. pure junk.
mail it to Pittsburgh 15202 and I'll make sure it never leaves here.:yes::D

We have a stash of virgin Stanton 500 & 500 mkII cartridges as well as the correct Stanton stylus for them. I have them tracking at 2 grams.

Yes, and a lot of the Pickering V 15 ellipticals are upgrades over their Stanton counterparts to boot. Pickering was marketed more to consumers, Stanton marketed more to professional users. Both sister companies with comparable cartridge offerings.

Stanton 505 cartridge Would this one work D5300E MKIII

Hi All
i'm new here my setup is Technics sl 1210 mk2
Yamaha m50 and Yamaha c60
yamaha ns-99 av speakers

all mounted on technics headshells

cartridges audio technica

stylus AT120E

stylus AT440MLa

cartridge Stanton 505

stylus 5100 11sk

stylus d5127 78 rpm

cartridge Stanton 505 v3

stylus 505
I want to get Elliptical Stylus for my Stanton 505 cartridge
Would this one work D5300E MKIII anyone got any ideas

I also want to add that there is an eBay seller right now with D5300E MKIII styli available right now. These are .4 x .7 ellipticals rated for only 1 g tracking force so very compliant. I bought one of these a while back and it is a truly excellent performer at a bargain price.[/QUOTE]

Needlestein, just wondering if the D5300e is the best option for the Stanton 500 in your opinion. I have a gold bodied 500 that I have never heard and would love to hear how it sounds on my lightweight h/k Ito arm.

Thanks,
Dave

I can't talk about the Mk. III needles: they're products of the lately-departed Florida Stanton company. The roughly-equivalent Mk. II needle from the "real" Stanton company in New York, from the early '80s, was well-reviewed in the UK. The Florida outfit was very shaky about product information, but from what I could gather, all their 500s, 400s, and more, were the same as the previous Mk. IIs.

The traditional gold body was slightly different electrically, so to get the best sound from a Mk. III needle, I'd want to use it in the appropriate cartridge body: a Mk. II, Mk. III, or 400. Don't forget to ensure that your load capacitance is a total of 275 picofarads.

Your painted brass-color body is for the traditional needles that dated from the 1960s through approximately 1983. The great range of styli made them very versatile (same body as Pickering V15 and original "N" models).

Richard Steinfeld

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom