New Rega RP40 -YIPPEEE!!!

LazySounds

I have saved all my pennies, I've sold some stuff, and I am now a very happy owner of a brand new Rega RP40.

I still have the stock Elys 40 (2) cartridge on, I was originally going to put a 2M blue on, but the Elys seems to be a good compromise on the balance of strengths and weaknesses of the vinyl format. It may not be a detailedd as the 2M, but it is kind to some of my less than stellar recordings while still highlighting the great one.

The RP40 spins perfectly at the correct speed, and is dead quiet between tracks.
The arm cartridge combination tracks very well, no IGD or sibilance issues.

It just sounds RIGHT.

:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

Happy for you!

Rega was my first experience with a modern, manual 'table. I've made several upgrades since and have yet to feel like the turntable or arm is holding me back.

The 40 looks like a nice piece of equipment-got pics?

Pictures

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• Above.jpg
    Above.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 136
  • Close Up.jpg
    Close Up.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 132
  • Glass.jpg
    Glass.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 131
  • Light.jpg
    Light.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 133
  • Red.jpg
    Red.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 136
After 24 hours

Reasons to be happy:
1) Sounds big, open and musical (I hate saying it sounds "musical" but I have no better way to describe it)
2) My well recorded excellent condition records sound spectacular
3) My bad recording and heavily worn records are treated kindly by the RP40, the shortcomings of a recording or disc are never over emphasised.
4) Wide deep soundstage, everything has a nice distinct place.
5) Doesn't trip pup on dense mixes.
6) Grounding actually works.
7) NO Inner groove distortion except on a few knackered records.
8) Very good suppression of surface noise.

Reasons to be disappointed:
1) Plastic hinges on the dustcover
2) ....................mmmmmm, I think there was something else but I forget?

Awesome table! Enjoy. I'm curious what other tables are you comparing with?

Technics SL1200 + OM20, DL300, OM10, Various DJ cartridges
JVC QL A2 + Audio Technica AT3600, AT95e, Shure M44G
Marranz TT120 + Shure M44G
Project Debut II + OM10
Project 1Expression Carbon Classic + 2M Silver (only auditioned, never owned)
Vestax PDX3000 + various DJ carts
Stanton ST.150 + Stanton 600v.3
Rega Plannar 2 + OM10

The way I see it is that all audio design tends to involve a lot of compromises, the RP40 is currently the best combination of compromises that works with the existing compromises that make up my existing system and room. that over all sound consistantly most enjoyable and engaging to me.

This is entirely subjective on my part, I didn't buy it to meet a certain set of specifications, or even to sound a certain way, or to have a specific frequency response.
This time I went out and bought a turntable that can consistently reproduce a specific feeling of musical enjoyment and engagement.

This to me is my best audio purchase so far.

Last edited:
Nice. I always love it when someone gets a new table, and I love it even more where there is a reference! Our choices are 'usually' subjective and, in my opinion, it's usually something like 'I like listening to this more than that'. Your opinion matters to me because you have experience with tables that I may or may not have experienced. I'm not questioning your judgements, but I find it curious that you would prefer the debut over the expression. But these are real world experiences and it matters to me, which tables you prefer! Thanks for taking the time!

Don

P.S. I realize now that you weren't ranking the tables, but listing them!

Last edited:
Nice. I always love it when someone gets a new table, and I love it even more where there is a reference! Our choices are 'usually' subjective and, in my opinion, it's usually something like 'I like listening to this more than that'. Your opinion matters to me because you have experience with tables that I may or may not have experienced. I'm not questioning your judgements, but I find it curious that you would prefer the debut over the expression. But these are real world experiences and it matters to me, which tables you prefer! Thanks for taking the time!

Don

P.S. I realize now that you weren't ranking the tables, but listing them!

I owned the Debut III about 10 years ago in a different system in a different house, I had B&W DM308 speakers and an older Harmon Kardon amp and it seemed to work quite nicely in that system.

In contrast I very recently auditioned the 1Expression Carbon Classic with a pair of Monitor Audio RX6 speakers and I was comparing directly to an RP3 and the RP40.

So I enjoyed the Debut II in comparison to turntables I had previously experienced (over 10 years ago) and I still quite liked the 1Expression but I preferred the two Regas by quite a large margin.
I think if I stacked the Debut III up against the 1Expression now, I would probably prefer the 1 Expression.

I think the one of the main reasons that I prefered the RP40 to the 1Expression was that I heard some inner groove distortion on the 1Expression that was absent on the RP3 and the RP40, also there was some sibilance on the 1Expression which was similarly absent on the RP40 and RP3.

Because I had done quite a lot of research on the 1Expression and the RP3/40 I had started to obsess about the 8.6 inch short tonearm on the Project.
I don't know if the slightly shorter tonearm really has any material effect on the sound but it became a "thing" in my head which may have coloured my listening experience.

The dealer kindly let me take home a demo RP3 fitted with a 2M blue and no TT PSU for a few days, my wife and I loved it.
I went back and listened to it back to back against the RP40 which has the TT PSU. I can't explain it, but the TT PSU really increases the depth of the sound stage by a huge amount. So I got the RP40.

I am thinking the next step will be to replace the Elys 40 with either the 2M Blue or Bronze, or possibly my Denon DL300. But this will be someway further down the track as I am still very much enjoying it with the Elys 40.

The Rega's don't always get a lot of feedback here, but there is a retailer here in Ann Arbor, Mi. that has an unbelievable setup using a RP6. It was by far the best demo I've ever heard!
Enjoy!

Very cool looking TT! Congrats and may it bring many years of happiness! :yes:

Back
Top Bottom