New table day - Pioneer PL 518

Jnevill

Super Tweeter
I've been wanting to upgrade my table collection, I have a Technics SL1300 MKI, SL3200, and a Realistic LAB440, but I've been wanting a Pioneer for a while. I finally found it on CL, but had to drive almost 100 miles to go pick it up. It was a little dirty, and the dust cover was trashed, but a little elbow work and she cleaned right up! I used this Novus plastic polish on the dust cover, now I can see through it. Pics tomorrow, not enough light right now to do it justice.

Great table, wow, it sounds SO nice, listening to MSG one night in Budokan right now, I am definitely impressed by this table. Absolutely NO noise to it, just pure music, I didn't realize these old Pioneers were THAT good. Definitely no frills to the table, other than auto return, but it holds its speed prefectly, and sounds fantastic.

Anyone have one they want to brag about too?

Jim

I don't have a PL-518 but I'm a Pioneer fan. I have a PL-41D and a PL-L1000 that I picked up cheap. Less than 100 bucks for both and I'm very impressed with the build quality of each unit. The PL-518 looks to be built equally as well and I understand your excitement. There will never be TT built like these again. Do a good cleaning and lubing on it and enjoy years of listening pleasure with no fussing around with belts or anything else. This is a good time to be into vintage TT's.
There is a sticky on how to bring your dustcover back to like new, I hope it's not cracked. If not it will come back very nice with a bit of effort.
Congrats and enjoy.

BillWojo

My first Pioneer table was a PL-514 that I purchased new in College. And yes, I still have it and still use it and still like it.

Unlike the 518, the 514 is a bit more basic with no strobe. I've had to replace my belt a few times since 1980, but it's been a great table with no issues other than standard belt replacement. I happen to like the unique color and texture of these older Pioneer tables, and they are simple great tables.

Enjoy.

My first Pioneer table was a PL-514 that I purchased new in College. And yes, I still have it and still use it and still like it.

Unlike the 518, the 514 is a bit more basic with no strobe. I've had to replace my belt a few times since 1980, but it's been a great table with no issues other than standard belt replacement. I happen to like the unique color and texture of these older Pioneer tables, and they are simple great tables.

Enjoy.

I'll probably sound like a rookie here (imagine that, a 50 year old rookie), but, with no strobe how do you know what speed it is running at? If everyone sounds like Mickey Mouse, slow it down, if they sound like Satan speed it up?:dunno:

Well, in the cold light of day, she's a little rough. Like I said, you literally could not see through the dustcover last night when I got it home, it's clear now, but has deep scratches and is yeller. And the OEM plastic veneer is fugly, changing color as well.

And yet it sounds amazing!

What a great start! The next time you see it it will have real wood veneer, probably walnut, maybe cherry, somthing with character. And will still probably have that yeller dust cover!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 32
Back
Top Bottom