Sherwood TD-2010 CP specs?

musician2358

Sherwood TD-2010 CP specs

Anyone have any specs for the Sherwood TD-2010 CP tuner? I was at a local thrift shop and snatched one after noting it was pretty heavy for a digital tuner. I carry a small screw driver when thrift shopping so I opened the case and noted the MPX decoder chip was a Hitachi HA11223 that is generally found in high end tuners (e.g. Kenwood L-01T, KT-917, Sansui TU-X1, TU-919 etc.), which was enough for me to snag it for $20.

My test for a tuner is to see if it can render a weak public classical station (KQAC) in our area with no objectionable noise floor during quiet moments with a 300 ohm dipole for an antenna. Any tuner that is good enough to do this will almost surely have been designed to sound good to boot. Anyway, this tuner passed this test easily, not quite, but almost as quiet as my Onkyo T-9090II (which few tuners can claim), and eminently listenable on this station. While this tuner won't make anyone's candidate list for top 10 tuners ever, sound quality is also very nice.

I've not been able to ascertain the varactor diode count despite being able to visually inspect the circuit board, but I think it has the varactor equivalent of a 4-gang tuning capacitor. Noise is quieter than the 4-gang tuner in a Sansui G-5500 and also than a Sansui TU-7500, also a 4-gang tuner. Anyone know the varactor count and/or stereo separation?

Thanks,

M2

Last edited:
Well, I decided to purchase a service manual off eBay. This tuner has 3 varactor diodes for the FM front end and 2 for AM. Probably this tuner would have average selectivity at best if you have a crowded FM band where you listen. That said, it is working well for my needs, sensitive and quiet enough for me to pick up a 5900 watt public radio channel well. I actually prefer the sound to my Onkyo T-9090II that I decided to sell as a result, the latter being a little bass-heavy in sonic rendition.

Some specs from the service manual:

S/N Stereo: 72dB (78dB mono)
Stereo separation at 1kHz: 50dB
Frequency response: 20-15kHz +0.5dB/-1dB
50dB quieting sensitivity IHF, stereo: 50uV (39.2dBf)
Usable sensitivity when (S+N+D)/(N+D) = 30dB: 2.0 uV (11.2dBf)
Audio output: 600mV

While it's not going to knock any top-rated tuner off its perch, very respectable numbers nonetheless. For comparison, the high end and highly rated Onkyo Integra T-9090II specs out at 55dB stereo separation at 1kHz and 85dB S/N in stereo.

M2

Well, I decided to purchase a service manual off eBay.

hello my name is Max and I live in Italy. I'm looking for the sherwood td 2010 cp service manual but can't find it.
You got it?
Could you send me a pdf copy please? I'll send you some money.
Best regards. Max

Back
Top Bottom