Who was the genius that greenlit a movie about killing a world leader?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJguy

Whoever at Sony greenlit a film, comedy or not (being it a comedy may even be worse) about killing a current real world leader even worse and enemy must really be regretting such a bonehead decision. And the actors probably are curled up in bed scared to death about their choice.

Seriously, im no fan of North Korea but come on, how would we feel if some foreign nation, especially an enemy, made a film about assasinating our real president?

I think sony deserves to be nominated for the 2014 Darwin award. Arrogant, stupid decision. And the fact that these hackers easily got what they wanted shows that they mean business.

Last edited:
Whoever at Sony greenlit a film, comedy or not (being it a comedy may even be worse) about killing a current real world leader even worse and enemy must really be regretting such a bonehead decision. And the actors probably are curled up in bed scared to death about their choice.

Seriously, im no fan of North Korea but come on, how would we feel if some foreign nation, especially an enemy, made a film about assassinating our real president?

Its been done before, the US did not go crazy - most of you probably don't even know this film exists (available via Netflix, tho I have not seen it yet) .

Death of a President http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0853096/?ref_=nv_sr_3
2006 R 90 minutes

This British mockumentary imagines the assassination of President George W. Bush and the fallout that follows, including the media's reaction, the rush to convict an assassin and the machinations of President Cheney. Directed by Gabriel Range (The Day Britain Stopped) and starring Hend Ayoub, Brian Boland, Becky Ann Baker and Robert Mangiardi, the film was awarded the Critic's Prize at the 2006 Toronto Film Festival.

Last edited:
Except that England is our friend. Quite different when you make mockumentary of a friend compared to a huge hollywood release about an enemy. As far as freedom of speech u make it sound [note the person above deleted his freedom of speech comment] like its unique to the US. Its not and actually i would question that. Why is it that every other day a celeb in the Us has tomapologize for saying something or someone lese loses a job because of something they said. Didnt an nba owner just have to sell his team because of something he said in the privacy of his own home. So much for freedom of speech huh.

Last edited:
If we are going to discuss "freedom of speech," let's at least get it right. For those of you who showed up to Civics class stoned, here's a primer:

U.S. Constitution: Amendment I

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

In other words, Congress cannot ban/chill/harm/prohibit "freedom of speech." But you or someone else can as long as it does not run afoul of other laws.

If we are going to discuss "freedom of speech," let's at least get it right. For those of you who showed up to Civics class stoned, here's a primer:

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

In other words, Congress cannot ban/chill/harm/prohibit "freedom of speech." But you or someone else can as long as it does not run afoul of other laws.
Thank you! It slays me that the same people that are slways spouting off about the constitution are the same ones that don't have a clue what it contains! Schoolchildren would still be reciting the pledge of allegiance to the flag if "under God" had not been inserted into the pledge in 1954.

Except that England is our friend. Quite different when you make mockumentary of a friend compared to a huge hollywood release about an enemy. As far as freedom of speech u make it sound like its unique to the US. Its not and actually i would question that. Why is it that every other day a celeb in the Us has tomapologize for saying something or someone lese loses a job because of something they said. Didnt an nba owner just have to sell his team because of something he said in the privacy of his own home. So much for freedom of speech huh.

The dollar rules, they don't have to apologize, but they do have to make money.

Thank you! It slays me that the same people that are slways spouting off about the constitution are the same ones that don't have a clue what it contains! Schoolchildren would still be reciting the pledge of allegiance to the flag if "under God" had not been inserted into the pledge in 1954.

They never would have had to do it if not for that dang monkey trial, or at least that how it seems.

Except that England is our friend. Quite different when you make mockumentary of a friend compared to a huge hollywood release about an enemy. As far as freedom of speech u make it sound like its unique to the US. Its not and actually i would question that. Why is it that every other day a celeb in the Us has tomapologize for saying something or someone lese loses a job because of something they said. Didnt an nba owner just have to sell his team because of something he said in the privacy of his own home. So much for freedom of speech huh.

Yep, but an NBA owner getting recorded saying racist things is a different tangent.
So is a leaked recording of a footballer punching his (then) wife-to-be.
Its perfectly legal to be an offensive idiot - but it may not pay very well.

But this is about hackers threatening 9/11 type violence if SONY keeps at it with that film ...
or if people go to see it in theaters, or whatever drivel they spout off next.
They are not threatening to sue anyone - they are threatening death or violence.

I'm not much of a fan of Rogen/Franco movies on general principal,
but they do have the right to make them ...
A pity SONY did not keep their networks secure -
but this is not the first time Sony tech sloppiness has bit them hard.

http://sfappeal.com/2014/12/the-sony-pictures-hack-hollywoods-snowden-moment/

Last edited:
Isn't getting hacked by North Korea JV league? Or are they that good.

"They" don't necessarily have to be that good. No doubt in my mind there are hackers for hire, and good ones at that. We, as in the USA or anyone for that matter, certainly don't have exclusivity to that process (finding hackers for hire).

Didn't one of the Naked Gun movies start with Detective Frank Drebin beating up a bunch of world leaders that the US was not friendly with. No outrage there.

This is all about corporations and money. No one is going to be physically harmed because of a stoner movie.

Read first amendment. end/thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In Marvel Comics Captain America kicked the shit out of Hitler every chance he got. :D But, we were at war.

Along with our rights we're are individually responsible for how we exercise them and Sony is paying the consequences. What did they expect in this age of technology?

Last edited:
Didn't one of the Naked Gun movies start with Detective Frank Drebin beating up a bunch of world leaders that the US was not friendly with. No outrage there.

This is all about corporations and money. No one is going to be physically harmed because of a stoner movie.

If this movie was made back then, N.Korea wouldn't have seen it or really heard about it until it was well into it's box office run. And those leaders were likely not quite as nuts as Kim.

Should they have the right to make the movie? Sure. Should they have made the movie? Maybe, but maybe they should have thought about it sober a few weeks first.

Funny, I don't read from the op comment that he was saying they don't have a right to make such a movie, just questioning the the intelligence in it.

It's like your wife asking you if her pants make her look fat. Do you tell her, "No, it's your fat making you look fat"? Not really. You make a choice though you have the right to reply any way you like. But you realize there are consequences to your actions.

Same thing here. There may be consequences. Without getting too political, N.K. is a nuclear power and it's leaderships sanity has been called into question. Japan has a long and difficult relationship with Korea. Even S.Koreans express a strong dislike for Japan. N.K. commonly tests long and short range missils that fly over Japans main islands. It does make one wonder. But, yes, they do have the right to make the movie.

There's no real threat here. None. Fighting a terrorist organization is like trying to nail jello to a wall. They have their pick of destabilized countries to move around in forcing their opponents to play whack a mole every time they pop up. But N Korea is a regime based in a country surrounded by enemies and fair weather friends with satellites pointing at it always. Their threats are political semantics because they're not stupid. They know we can cease their existence and turn their country into the surface of the moon in the blink of an eye. And the (kind of) funny part is that nobody would raise a finger to stop us. Sure China, Russia and Iran may make a stink but that'll just be all politics too. Putin is facing a crashing economy. Iran is currently ringed by US troops, planes and missiles based in Iraq, Afghanistan and the Persian Gulf. China with its massive army would never survive the Pacific crossing enough to give an American citizen a paper cut.

Read first amendment. end/thread.

I don't get it.

Reading the OP (as it now stands), I'm under the impression that this thread is about the relative advisability of making such a film. Choosing to make this movie is like a kid making fun of another kid on the playground. The first kid might be bigger than the second kid, but the second kid is the one that everyone knows is going to grow up to be a serial killer.

There are many people who value their rights above self-preservation, but they aren't all the same.

Some of them challenge the government when it oversteps its bounds and risk attention from the IRS.

Some join the military during times of war and risk death at the hands of the enemy.

Some insist upon riding bicycles on busy highways when there is a quiet, parallel running neighborhood street only a block away and risk death from some texting SUV pilot.

Ya gotta choose your battles.

Yesterday South Korean activists air dropped 1000's of copys of this move over North Korea. of course DVD players are about a scarce as food is but still.

If you study the history of the US Movie industry it has always been this way. Starting about 115 years ago in New York City when Thomas Edison formed a cartel to take over the move business. They would strong arm theaters into only showing their movies. A studio would complete a move and sent it to their theater so show it, the bicycle message delivering to would have been on the take from the Edison bunch and would deliver the move to one of the cartel's theaters. I got so bad that these studio moved the Hollywood Land to get away. It is said in Hollywood the only time someone is honest is when they are dead. The fact that Sony Entertainment dirty laundry is being exposed is a howler.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom