Technics SL 1700mkII Turntable Mint

kwatch

Technics SL 1700mkII Turntable Mint w/Audio Technica DR500LC Cartridge is listed locally and I can pick it up in person. Is $360 a good pricing?

This might end up in the Dollars and Sense area, just FYI.

Anyway, it's not a steal but probably fair market value, especially if the cartridge has a good original AT stylus on it. It partly depends on where you are as to actual market rates. On eBay you might find one for less but you have very real risks when shipping and might end up with a box of trash.

In a nutshell, it is worth that much compared to other turntables out there new and used. I have had several SL-1xxx series tables and currently own a 1700 MKII and 1600 MKII and would not sell mine for less.

Montycat got that right. I wouldn't sell mine for less than that price either. But many, maybe even most on AK would not buy at that price. Used turntables of decent quality have gone up over 100 bucks in the last year.

I'd offer $300 but would willingly pay $360 if the seller won't budge. That is if it really is mint which I doubt. Make sure he demonstrates all functions.

The suspended MK2 tables have really come into their own in the last couple of years. I'm not entirely sure why but it may be related to the inflated price for the 1200 during the time since production ceased. They may have been viewed as a way of getting 1200 performance on the cheap plus, in the case of the 1600 and 1700, some additional features.

The thing is, though, the 1600 and 1700 now regularly sell at or above the price of a 1200. The manual 1800 can still be had for less than a 1200 though so maybe the higher price fore the others is because of the extra features.

John

PS: You couldn't get my 1600 MK2 for $360.00. ;)

If in fact it is in mint condition and the cartridge is quite decent as I suspect the price is very fair in todays tuntable marketplace. If it's the original mature adult owner with box, packing material, accessories, manuals, receipts give it a listen and quickly pay the man the money and run home with a prize turntable. Not much if anything new will come close for that asking price. If this is a Craigslist table don't hesitate to audition the table, the really good ones go quick.

I was very fortunate to find a TRUE new old stock SL-1700MKII last year still in the original box. One thing that you have to realize is there is a derlin gear in the automatic arm return that WILL be cracked. Most of the time the arm will still function but they can easily fail. Fortunately, there is a fix and a replacement synthetic gear that can be bought. There is a thread on here somewhere about that whole thing. This is just offered as a heads up to the potential buyer. Mine was new old stock and when I looked inside, the gear was cracked. It's an age thing, not a mileage thing. The derlin simply doesn't hold up and retain its original integrity after 40 years! Imagine that! Everything else on these wonders seems to last forever though. I promptly bought the necessary replacement gear BUT have not had to replace it yet. There is also a belt in the tonearm lift mechanism that needs to be replaced many times- especially if it has never been done.

For mine I did order a new Cardas pre-wired tonearm wand and new Cardas RCA connectors to replace the original Technics RCA wires from KAB. Those are critical upgrades in my opinion that really make a huge difference in resolution. I run a Denon DL-103R cartridge on mine and I have not heard a better turntable that could turn me away from this awesome machine.

It sounds like you have a line on a real good one there. My advice is to get it!

Attachments

• 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 63
$360 isn't a terrible price but like somebody else said, If you get it for $300 your doing very well.

These 16/17/1800mk2 tables are just outstanding. I was lucky and found a 1600mk2 in excellent shape (minus a scratchy dustcover, but that will soon be resolved) for $180 plus 2 turntables in trade that were given to me.

The only problem im having now is sourcing a good rubber mat for it. Mine is hard as a rock (came from Arizona). I think i will buy a 1200mk2 mat and modify it for the infrared sensors.

The only problem im having now is sourcing a good rubber mat for it. Mine is hard as a rock (came from Arizona). I think i will buy a 1200mk2 mat and modify it for the infrared sensors.

I would probably try with a piece of cork first rather than sacrifice a Technics mat. You can often pick up 12" square cork bits at hobby/craft stores like Michaels, or go to a flooring place and buy some cork underlay. You can end with with a few sample mats for about $1 each with luck. The optical sensors do need a fairly thick mat to fit properly too.

I would probably try with a piece of cork first rather than sacrifice a Technics mat. You can often pick up 12" square cork bits at hobby/craft stores like Michaels, or go to a flooring place and buy some cork underlay. You can end with with a few sample mats for about $1 each with luck. The optical sensors do need a fairly thick mat to fit properly too.

Yes, the LED lenses stick up far enough so that two layers of cork are necessary but it works well.

John

The flooring underlay that I have left over from redoing my condo is pretty thick and I don't think 2 layers would be necessary. The proper Technics mat is thicker than many of theirs so if you are not careful you might get the wrong one anyway.

Of course, if you can always just buy a new one at KAB if you want to keep it original.

No, not for the 1600. The 1200 MK2, 1800 MK2 and 1700 MK2 take a different mat. The 1600 has three rows of rectangular holes in it for the LED lenses associated with the size detection system.

John

Of course, if you can always just buy a new one at KAB if you want to keep it original.

I don't think KAB has the mat for the SL-1700 MKII, or at least he doesn't list it. The only Technics mat he does list is the 1/8" thick one, but (I think) you need the 1/4" one, and need to make your own cutouts to work with the optical sensors for the automatic functions. It's worth an email though as he might have something.

I don't think KAB has the mat for the SL-1700 MKII, or at least he doesn't list it. The only Technics mat he does list is the 1/8" thick one, but (I think) you need the 1/4" one, and need to make your own cutouts to work with the optical sensors for the automatic functions. It's worth an email though as he might have something.

the 1700mkii doesn't have the sensors only the 1600mkii and you can get the mat from the 1200mkii

Yeah, I see that now. It's a shame that Technics is no longer making these parts. You used to be able to get the thick mat like the one that came on the SL-1700MK2 not too long ago on KAB. Now they only have the thin mat. Even so, with a thin cork mat beneath it, you'd have a win win solution- at least for a 1700MK2.

Back
Top Bottom