What's British in your system?

I really do not know if the 5 grams tracking weight is significant or not. The most important thing, in my opinion, is that the stylus not mistrack the groove. When these changers were first made, the typical tracking force was, on average, much higher than 5 grams. If I was fortunate enough to own a set of the mono Beatles reissues, I would use the Dual 1019 with the M91 cartridge.

Yes, that is what they will tell you.

Yes, I am in that club too.

Amen. Yes, I have been playing a lot of my mono LPs and 78 rpm pressings on my mono version RC 88/4. My take; they do, to some degree, sound better with this table with the Pickering NP/AC (which is, as far as I can tell, that same as the Pickering V15 you are using).

That's good. It'll be a while before I can get this project up to speed, but that's one plan of mine. I also have another project that involves a pair of the old Wharfedale corner enclosures (just the woofer enclosures and the 15's that go in them (I think these were constructed to the same specs as that model, but I still need the tops and crossovers, which were boxed standalone units back in the '50's if I want to make them complete 3-ways... But I can still throw some Super 12's in the woofer cabs if I get a pair of the alnico ones with the roll surround from like 1959-'63).

I have too-many projects.

Don't know if it counts as not made in Britain but is British company NAD 5420 CD player

Sent from my super fast moto g

Nad

NAD started in London in the early 1970's and made history by never actually manufacturing anything. Instead, they did design work and then outsourced everything to factories in Asia, Sometime in the 1990's, after an earlier foreign acquisition, NAD was purchased by a Canadian company, who continued the tradition of making things in Asia.

I think its connection with things British tenuous at best.

NAD started in London in the early 1970's and made history by never actually manufacturing anything. Instead, they did design work and then outsourced everything to factories in Asia, Sometime in the 1990's, after an earlier foreign acquisition, NAD was purchased by a Canadian company, who continued the tradition of making things in Asia.

I think its connection with things British tenuous at best.

Ah... So, that explains it. I just figured they were a Japanese company. I have a 3140. I may or may not have blown a right channel when I was pissed one night (Angry, not schnockered). The preamp in the thing just didn't wake up my W60E's.

B&W 802FS , B&W CM1, Goodmans SL3 magnums, Celestion 3 , Tannoy DC200 , Richard Allen CG10 , Warfedale Denton ll , Diamond 9CM , Diamond 8.1, Rega Exor monoblocks

British Gear

Hi All:

I have an Arcam FMJ-A19, British by way of a PRC assembly point. I also have a formerly British (now Canadian) NAD CD-520 CD player also by way of the PRC. I used to have a pair of Mission M-772's that were made in the UK.

Sure glad Lucas never built audio equipment. There would be many short circuits and the capacitors would leak oil like an old Triumph Trident.

B&W 802FS , B&W CM1, Goodmans SL3 magnums, Celestion 3 , Tannoy DC200 , Richard Allen CG10 , Warfedale Denton ll , Diamond 9CM , Diamond 8.1, Rega Exor monoblocks

How do you like the Denton II's? Are those the 2XP Dentons or an earlier version that perhaps preceded the Denton III's? I have the REISSUE Dentons from 2012, but I also have W60D's and W60E's from the late '60's and early '70's, as well as several early '60's and even late '50's Wharfedales. Haven't heard the OLD Dentons yet though. And how about the 9CM and 8.1 models?

Hi All:

I have an Arcam FMJ-A19, British by way of a PRC assembly point. I also have a formerly British (now Canadian) NAD CD-520 CD player also by way of the PRC. I used to have a pair of Mission M-772's that were made in the UK.

Sure glad Lucas never built audio equipment. There would be many short circuits and the capacitors would leak oil like an old Triumph Trident.
Oh cool, a fellow FMJ-A19 owner. Which speakers do you have it paired with?

Sold my only British amp a year ago. (Can't keep all stuff)

This is a Rogers Ravensbourne.
It has transformers to drive the output transistors (heatsink is on the bottom of the amp)
It did have a very nice sound!
I consider the build quality much better than average.

Most of the amps from that era were a real "wire mess", but this one has not much wiring. (there is also no wire mess hidden under the circuit cards!)
The inside picture is after refurbishment.

Kopie%20van%20rogersnieuw1.jpg

Kopie%20van%20rogersklaar.jpg

I just welcomed a Naim Nait 5si into its new home last night...mine!
With only SONOS as a source, my Spendors must like it. It sounds fabulous. :banana:

Attachments

• nainait5si,41146-1200px.jpg
    nainait5si,41146-1200px.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 11
I just welcomed a Naim Nait 5si into its new home last night...mine!
With only SONOS as a source, my Spendors must like it. It sounds fabulous. :banana:

How does it compare to the MF you had? These Naim units have been on my radar lately. I'm looking for dynamics and punch.

How does it compare to the MF you had? These Naim units have been on my radar lately. I'm looking for dynamics and punch.

The MF might win the punch battle in the contest but as far as dynamics and detail, the Naim has much more finesse.

The M6i had total grip on the lower octaves, the Naim presents more detail in the same range. Ray Brown's bass is all there but with more "air" around the strings, more than just the pluck.

Listening to Renee Olstead, Sunday Kind of Love, with Chris Botti. You can almost see the mute in his trumpet, lots more detail. More edge to piano.
Subtle bite of percussion and reeds are better with the Naim. Renee's vocals, very good with both amps, just a little more detail with the Naim.

The MF was more forward in the mids, very clean but at a little higher volume was "in my face just slightly.

Lots more listening to do. Hard to go wrong with either. Downsizing forced me to look at a smaller footprint but I wanted to maintain quality as well. I can't say I'm missing anything with the Naim.

Meridian electronics and speakers, 200 and 500 series
Rega TT
IFi Audio amp/DAC phono pre
Tannoy speakers
ATC speakers
Sound Org equip stands

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lowther DX3 made in Kent.

Paul Voigt, Lowther founder, designed and built the first twin cone full range drivers in the 1950's.

picture.php

That's a modern Lowther driver, right? I've yet to hear the Lowther full-rangers. The DX3 is 8", right? If I were to try a full-ranger in my own system, it would be at least that big. I know Lowther made/makes 6" ones, but that never really made sense to me, unless it was going to be augmented with some type of subwoofer. I've been looking at subwoofers all weekend. It's time. I need to know.

That's a modern Lowther driver, right? I've yet to hear the Lowther full-rangers. The DX3 is 8", right? If I were to try a full-ranger in my own system, it would be at least that big. I know Lowther made/makes 6" ones, but that never really made sense to me, unless it was going to be augmented with some type of subwoofer. I've been looking at subwoofers all weekend. It's time. I need to know.

The DX3 is one of the newer models and is 8 inches which is the most common Lowther size. Mine are from 2012 and you can see the rolled edge whizzer that effectively put an end to the infamous Lowther shout in older models.

The cone material is so light it's almost transparent.

393537-lowther_dx3.jpg

Back
Top Bottom