Post your good experiences with the USPS

I had a pair of Altec 804B horns shipped to me via USPS a number of years ago. Shippping was easily half the cost of the other two companies and they seemed to use care in handling the packages. Didn't hurt it was one of the veteran AKers who packed them either. It was a shock to receive them without any damage at all. As delicate, huge and unweildly as the multicell horns are. It really made me a believer in USPS and I started using them for almost everything.

However, this was all before USPS raised their rates to be the same as Fedex. I still sometimes use the Post Office for small stuff. It is still the cheapest there. And they are good with those packages. Anything over 15 pounds goes Fedex. I tend to prefer their service and shipping costs for bigger, heavier stuff. You get up to a certain weight and size at USPS and the price skyrockets. Not so at Fedex. Plus at Fedex I don't have to wait in a line of 8+ people. It can get crazy sometimes where I stand in line for 30 minutes. That is my experience. Before the rate change, USPS was by far the best choice. Just on a cost basis. And to this day, I have yet to receive a damaged package from them.....I think. Unless it was just totally, blatantly packed wrong. Like a set of tweeters i just received. Seller had no packing sense at all. But overall, 95% of damaged packages are UPS. They are bad. A few from Fedex. So honestly I give USPS the thumbs up for being careful. At least with my packages.

Last edited:
Nope. Two Media Mail packages from Jersey to two different locations in California. Both delivered in less than 48 hours. This included processing at "The Black Hole of Bell, California". Makes you a believer.

I have had nothing but good experiences with USPS. I buy 3-4 records a week, never so much as a dented corner. My carrier will knock on the door with packages - she knows that I work in my office off the side of the house during the day and brings them all to me there. And if I don't answer the door the first time she comes, she'll make a second trip later in the day on her way back through the neighborhood. Excellent, excellent service.

I use USPS First Class to ship reel to reel tapes and they often get to their destination in as little as 36 hours, for less than media mail ($2.83). NO BRAINER!

Keep in mind that today is the busiest day of the year for the USPS. Long lines at the 'window', no parking spots nearby. I already made my AM drop, going back later. I'm busy and all smiles.

I'm not sure if I will get flamed, but the 0.00001% of the time where things don't go as advertised, well I have had one of those recently...shipped a head shell out to MI first class parcel envelope last week, and it's been 7 days now and tracking shows it's in NJ...still in transit.

As a business owner running two businesses simultaneously, I have vast experience with shipping and receiving overnight letters and standard ground parcels.

I have had bad experiences with UPS and FedEX is simply too expensive.

UPS twice took over a week to deliver overnight letters that could NOT be late. They blamed their HUBS that are set up for parcels and not letters. Both letters went missing for a week or so. Big time bad news. I should have sent them FedEX or USPS.

FedEX has been pretty good but they are just plain too expensive. I know this is going to sound trite, but I have also been cut off, surprisingly, more than once by FedEX drivers. One actually give me the birdy as he cut me off. That leaves a very bad taste in a consumer's mouth when a delivery guy cuts you off and flips you off. I won't use FedEX now, because of that and their higher price than the USPS.

The USPS has been my best experience bar none. I've probably shipped well over 100 overnight letters and every one of them, EVERY ONE, has been delivered on time, for a very fair rate that rivaled FedEX. I've shipped thousands of parcels through the USPS and only ONE that I know of was damaged, and their insurance took care of it promptly and conveniently.

So my experience with the USPS has been very good from a personal and from a business standpoint. I ship with them 100 percent of the time now. From Hawaii, you can't beat their Priority mail rates to the mainland, and when I ship overseas, they are without a doubt the best.

I'm a happy customer.

I'm not sure if I will get flamed, but the 0.00001% of the time where things don't go as advertised, well I have had one of those recently...shipped a head shell out to MI first class parcel envelope last week, and it's been 7 days now and tracking shows it's in NJ...still in transit.

No flame from me Pat. I hope it arrived.

I just got a batch of cookies from Fresno in two days. MmmMMmmmmm.:thmbsp:

No flame from me Pat. I hope it arrived.

I just got a batch of cookies from Fresno in two days. MmmMMmmmmm.:thmbsp:

It was actually to Toledo, OH and yeah, it finally made it out there this morning..took 9 days for First Class, but I understand I was competing with Christmas traffic...

Glad your cookies arrived in two days!

Back
Top Bottom