How Many Separate pieces of Gear do you own?

How many seperate peices of gear do you own?

• Less than 10

Votes: 81 13.9%
  • 10-19 Average

Votes: 174 29.9%
  • 20-49 Hey!, I'm a collector !

Votes: 222 38.2%
  • 50-99 Yes, I buy everything I see.

Votes: 43 7.4%
  • 100+ I lost count! I need a Psychiatrist!

Votes: 61 10.5%

• Total voters

Haoleb

What i want to know is, How many separate audio related pieces of equipment do you own?

this includes pairs of speakers and every other separate component imaginable.

Why? we need a new poll on index! :D

I'm just a collector, but I'm trying my best. If I would've included pairs of full range drivers needing cabinets I might have made the next level.

I used to collect, but in the past year or so have been in a *purge* mode, having let go of everything but the basic essentials. Recently, for some insane reason, I've felt compelled to build a 300B SE tube power amplifier. "Boredom" I guess. :rolleyes: Figure it will end up here for sale at some point.

Throughout the years I've had close to 30 total; now I only have 6:

Klipsch Cornwalls
BEZ Model T3B
BEZ Model Q4B
AMC CD8b
Nakamichi DR-1
Monster Power HTS5000

If I had only known then what I know now, look at all the money I could've saved!:rolleyes:

easily over 100, perhaps over 200 - arrrgh, this will probably send me off all over the house 'rediscovering' where everything is 'distributed' (a few pieces here, there, and everywhere kinda disguises the problem from my better half...:rolleyes: ).

This week with the Technics SA-800, Yamaha CR-640, and Tandberg TR-2075 (new office receiver, for now) I climbed to 90 receivers alone (see, its starting to happen, first I open the spreadsheet, then I start updating, then I start looking around, and before I know it the house is in disarray...).

Receivers: 90
Tuners: 15
Amps: 7
Speakers: 64
CD Players: 12
Turntables: 24
Cartridges: 15
Cassette Decks: 21
8 Track Decks: 5
R2R: 3
EQs: 2
Headphones: 8
Accessories: 9 (e.g., Pioneer DT-500 timer, RG-2 expander, BIC FM-8, etc.)

Grand total: 275 pieces of audio gear. Ooooh...if I count the speakers as pairs, then its only 243 pieces. Hooray!

Ouch. Thanks guys for reminding me.

:eek:

Still waiting on Auditech's total - I'm sure he'll blow all of us awaaaaaaaaaayyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Let me think...about twenty pieces in the storage locker, minimun thirty downstairs, ten for the downstairs system, another ten for the bedroom setup, twenty in the spare bedroom and a half dozen pieces on loan to the gear impaired would be roughly just under a hundred.

Whew! I made it! I don't have to see the shrink(boy).

Oh, wait. I forgot about my Sony STR-V45, Aiwa tape deck, Sanyo TT, Pioneer timer and BIC Beambox over at my mom's. Damn.

When's the next available appointment? <sigh>

As for Auditech, remember he said he was nearly at 130 receivers alone. Anybody care to start a pool? I'll bet its 250+

Oh, unless I misread, the poll has a hole between 70 and 100 (which is where I would have picked)

Last edited:
I voted in the 20-50 category, then I started looking around...not 'rummaging around' mind you...just looking from where I sit, and there's at least that many just in sight. I guess the 'real' answer would be somewhere around a hundred or more.

jak

Let's see.... ouch... yeah, I need help... From where I sit, in my computer room, I can see:
Panasonic Quad receiver
JVC cassette deck
Pioneer cassette deck
Sanyo Betacord VCR
Harmon/Kardon hk670 receiver
another Pioneer cassette deck
Sony CD changer
three pairs of speakers
Technics turntable

And that's just in this room - I know I've got one hell of a lot more, easily 100+. I don't know what's worse, the fact that I've got all this stuff, or the fact that I probably didn't spend more than $200 total on everything - I'm a packrat, I can't help it. And what can I say, stereo stuff stacks well. Don't even get me started on all the computers, I don't even think I can count that high. I definitely need some serious help - I keep dragging home wayward electronics, homeless hi-fi's and outdated computers. I keep telling myself "that's it, this is the last console television I'm bringing home", or "I don't _need_ another tape deck", or "I need another PC/XT like I need another hole in my head", but it never works :).

We should start a new forum here on AK - Electronics Anonymous.

-My name is Ian, and I'm an addict.

Wel I voted in the 10-20 category, but I may have erred.
Main System:
Yamaha CR-2020, Polk Monitor 7Bs, Rega Planar 2, Samasung DVD, Toshiba cassette

Bedroom System:
Fisher 500C, second Large Advents, Yamaha R-1000 cassette, Onkyo CDP

Shop System:
Yamaha CR-2020, 4 Original Advents, Technics SL-1600, Yamaha K-350 cassette, Mitsu CDP.

Nope thats 19, just under the wire.

Now there is a bunch of stuff waiting for the auction prices to improve or for me to build cabinets (Fisher 400) or re-veneer cabinets (Yamaha CR-620), but that is not quite like 'ownership'.

Rob

Well, I voted in the "20-50" category based on a quick count, but I counted each pair of speakers as one item - and you know what? I don't even really think of myself as a "collector" - more as a pack-rat :)

Too Much Stuff

I went 20-50, but sure don't want to count. Much, if not most, is for resale, so that really doesn't count does it? Of course it just never seems to actually HIT the Internet for resale, so maybe it does count (?). Hmmmmm.

If we count satellite receivers, test equipment, etc., answer is well over 100 at the time, whoops, probably over 200, forgot about the 2-way VHF's, phone switch equipment and all that stuff. Anyone need some ceiling-tall aluminum free standing electronics racks? Got about ten of those that I've stripped repeaters and stuff off of. That stuff was ALL going to go away LAST winter! Hmmmm. Crud. Winter is rapidly fleeing. I may sell it by the pallet just to move it out!!!

9 amps
13 recievers
1 preamp
2 tuners
6 cassette decks
4 rtr's
4 tt's
19 speakers-counting subs, centers, surrounds and pairs
3 accessories

Thats 61. I can only hope that I will need a shrink someday.

mac

RichPA said:
Well, I voted in the "20-50" category based on a quick count, but I counted each pair of speakers as one item - and you know what? I don't even really think of myself as a "collector" - more as a pack-rat :)

Me too. something like that. Only a few items aren't in a full system out of 5 seperate systems. Those pieces with a few add on's, will make six. :music:

Back
Top Bottom