35 year old yamaha p2100 - what to service?

cubby01

aka Buck
I asked a similar question in a brand specific section without the insight I was looking for so trying again here in DYI.

New to me Yamaha P2100. 35 years old and last 10-15 yrs sat unused. I blew out enough dust bunnies to check DC offset and hook her up. Still works and generally sounds fine.

What should be the first priority replacements ie avoiding ticking time bombs? Is it a given that those big PS filter caps need to go? The dozens of other electrolytics on the various boards?

What should be second wave of updates? ie. Likely out of spec stuff that affects sound quality?

It's not the worst layout I've seen but I don't relish tearing into this thing to get to parts if I don't really need to worry too much about them. Just looking for a priority to-do list of sorts.

Thanks.

I'm thinking about buying one for $90, stumbled across this thread while looking for opinions, did you still need advice?

For $90 bucks? Well yeah, go buy it, don't just think about it. Yamaha pro gear are solid, great sounding beasts.

well I'm going to try to buy it, I apologize for drudging up a old thread and partially taking it over.

Ha, good ol' thread resurrection. You know I still have that P2100 but it's been sidelined until I have some time to fiddle with it. I started hearing some faint noises in use so swapped it out for a Hafler DH-220. I'm still open to any advice on priority what to update or look out for on the P2100. I'd like to feel confident about using it.

well I'll just say what I'll do with mine I guess:
Recap everything, especially the main filters. I'll try to get a bunch of smaller (1000uF) caps in instead.
I might put in speaker protection.
Put in multiturn bias pots
That's all I can think of for now, I probably will make sure all the transistors are quality.

Back
Top Bottom