New Separates from Line Magnetic...

Ultralight

Yes my review is at dagogo. You have to google dagogo LS-50 as I am not permitted to direct link reviews at AK.

I would not get into the mode of whether something is good enough to be connected to something else by prices. The LM amps will not be embarrassed even if you stick $50,000 speakers on them. The meager 211 sounded really quite excellent on the $20,000 ATC SCM 100 pro monitors. Sure a better amp will sound more excellent but at some point we have to use our senses. As a reviewer I am kind of forced to NOT use my senses and I am somewhat forced into hobby and or critical listener mode than just being someone out to find a truly great last system.

Nevertheless, I do believe in the importance of system matching and KEF and SET isn't an ideal match. IME good SET amplifiers tend to sound better with all speakers not just easy to drive speakers - this is kind of why I have gravitated to SET amplifiers. Having said that, Low Efficiency speakers don't get the best out of the SET amplifier so it's like mixing oil and water. I think the KEF is a very good speaker but if you're planning to go down the SET amp world KEF as a brand is not the speaker to be looking at in my view.

I have since purchased the Audio Note E/Lexus Hemp speakers with Stands which is far more suitable to tube amps and the combination is obviously far superior to the LS-50.

Thanks. Currently overseas but will check to see if there's an audionote dealer in the US near me.

My guess is that I can't get an Audionote speaker that exceeds the LS50 for the price that the LS50 is going for - particular for the deal I got my new one for.

RH67, I'll also look into powercords though the TWL is probably out of my range for a cord.

Thanks!
UL

Last edited:
That's true - the AX Two at $1k is basically same but different - if I had the KEF LS-50 I would not sell it to get the AX Two (or vice versa). So if you have the KEF and you like it and you want to go SET - then get a powerful 845/211 type. But the problem there is those amps require bigger power supplies and tend to cost a lot more. Something like Rogue Audio KT120 or various KT88 have oomph.

Thanks. Currently overseas but will check to see if there's an audionote dealer in the US near me.

My guess is that I can't get an Audionote speaker that exceeds the LS50 for the price that the LS50 is going for - particular for the deal I got my new one for.

RH67, I'll also look into powercords though the TWL is probably out of my range for a cord.

Thanks!
UL

ultralight
The TWL power cord will set you back about $500 and overall added more body and texture to the music.

Having had the LS50`s in my home twice using the LM 518, 501 and the AR Reference 150 and a BAT 500 amp it was not a matter of power as the speakers sounded their best with the 518 with only 22 watts, for me the LS 50`s have a metallic sound and a zing that is present reminding me of what speaker manufactures did in the 80`s and 90`s to make up for the limitations in the actual speaker design itself, an artificial representation of what has been recorded and it wears on ME over time while others do not seem to notice.

Thanks to you both. For the $, I really like the LS50's microdynamics if that's the term. It outperformed the likes of the Martin Logan ESL, Totem (something), Triton Seven etc in our home in terms of realism. But I sure do miss the scale of the Martin Logan and the holography of the Triton Seven. And I would not mind a bit more warmth from the LS50. But am being realistic in terms of bang for buck performance.

THANKS again to you both.

UL

It`s all about what brings joy to us regardless of brand, model or price. Flaws can be found in any piece of equipment, truth be told i can find flaws in 100k speakers or 150k amps. Bringing a smile to our face within our own budgets is what it`s all about.

Question Gentlemen on the 518.

What exactly is the two knobs labelled 'Hum Balancer'? I've not ever touched mine. Have you? And is it hard stop left right or does it turn on forever?

Thanks,
UL

Hum Balancer refers to setting a "null" point between the positive-going and negative-going halves of the audio signal as divided by the phase-splitter to the input of the power tubes; each power tube amplifies 1/2 of the signal. Each channel will have it's own potentiometer to accomplish this. Even precision matched output tubes will have some variance in gain structure and output transformers will have slightly different impedances because both halves of the transformer cannot have all of their windings for both halves of the signal at precisely the same flux density.

Wow, that was fast Ths364.

Thanks.

LM does make adjustments at the factory so if one is on stock tubes, should that hum balancer be just left alone? And if one gets new tubes, is the hum balancer turned and position gauged by the ear for minimum hum?

Thanks,
UL

There are a couple (or more,perhaps) different ways to accomplish this- by ear is one. If I understand it correctly it is similar (in theory)to setting the DC offset in a transistor amplifier, but because the output transformer blocks DC and prevents it from getting to the driver, the procedure differs.

Happy Saturday morning folks.

I'm now a happy owner of a Line Magnetic 219IA amp :) It took a while but it's finally here! A big thank you to all the contributors in this thread who've shaped my bias towards wanting only this amp (RGA, RH67, ArtK and others). Your feedback and comments have been incredibly helpful.

I'll be clear. I'm not an audiophile (I think audiophiles limit their overall enjoyment of music) but I play guitar and woodwind instruments so I've always appreciated hifi equipment which simply let me enjoy my music. What I've found challenging has been to find an amp that can play all genres of music well.

I've got my LM 219 Integrated amp paired with my trusty Klipsch Cornwalls. I can't get my Macbook Pro to talk to my usual Eastern Electric Minimax Plus DAC ever since I upgraded to Mac OS X 10.9.5 so I'm using my PonoPlayer as a source for now (its surprisingly good). My existing amps are a Leben CS300X and a PrimaLuna Dialogue Two. I won't bore you folks with the rest of the gear I've cycled through.

After a week of listening to the amp, these are my thoughts. Music simply sounds more enchanting when the LM 219IA is conducting. Bass is clearly tighter, there is a clearer separation of instruments, with more air surrounding the notes. Struck piano notes and plucked guitar strings have more palpable decay. Vocals are glorious. Pop music sounds fabulous. Sometimes I can't help but get up and boogie to the Pet Shop Boys and the Police. And I haven't really got started on my collection of classic jazz!

So now I'm camping in, savin' n waiting for a nice pair of Devore OrangUtans or a pair of the best large Horn speakers I can afford. Life's always more interesting when there's something to aspire towards eh. In the meantime I'm really close to sonic nirvana :)

Last edited:
Congrats on the LM! I have been itching for either the 219 or 518 and then this Melody AN845 dropped in my lap. I love the Melody and would love to match it up against your amp. If only this were possible in Chicago. Sounds like you are really enjoying it and I wish you the best of happiness with this incredible beautiful powerful amp!!

Congrats on the LM 219IA. An amp I have been blessed to enjoy now on several occasions. Fabulous piece that should bring you many years of sonic bliss. My dream speaker is the 0/93...yum!

Congrats the LM 219IA have had for well over a year now 1.5 years and I have no real desire to change it. The preamp tubes can be changed out but that's about it really - the power tubes and driver tubes are fine. PSvanes.

There are tons of speakers that will be fine with this amp - 90db and above 3.5ish ohms should be plenty of efficiency.:D

I had AC/DC's "Thunderstruck", Motley Crue's "Kickstart My Heart," Aerosmith's "Love in an Elevator" and more of that kind of stuff playing at idiot levels a little while back and pushed the meters into the red. No Problem - just clean and undistorted drive and impact.

The amp will take anything from orchestral to rock and plays it all well. Make sure you check the bias though because after shipping it may be out and if it is you're going to blow a tube early.

Last edited:
I was told to expect 2000 hours from the 845s

A lot has to do with the way the amplifier was designed. ARC went through tubes faster than Garfield went through Lasagna.

The rest is not related to your question:

Some people claim the WE 300B lasts 40,000 hours.

In reality - you get a 90 day warranty - they're big ole light bulbs and some lightbulbs last 10 years and some last 10 weeks.

I had an 845 go on me within 3 months and got the replacement and it's been fine since.

I've had my OTO for 10 years and my ASL MG Head DT for 15 years and all the original tubes (I did have a preamp tube in the OTO go).

It is one of the appealing things about the EL84 - first they're cheap to replace and they last and last and last.

It's why I told a guy who like the OTO at $3,500 versus a high power tube amp for $2,500 that over the long haul the OTO was going to be cheaper. And that the resale would probably be double.

In reality that holds true when looking at the OTO versus the Line Magnetic amps. The 218 is cheaper but the tube replacements are far costlier - $150 pair (845) plus higher burning driver tubes means they will need to be replaced. In ten years the LM you might sell for $1200 and you've bought at least 3 pairs of the tubes. So you lose $1300 in resale and another $700-$1000 in tubes - total cost is around $2000. The OTO will likely sell for what you paid for it in ten years because the company raises the prices every couple of years. My OTO today sells new for more than double what it sold for in 2003. Plus I've replaced one tube for $10. Essentially my OTO has cost me $10 for a decade. And then people wonder why I go on about them so gall darn much.

Last edited:
I really just don't know why some people have to go on about their OTO's so much....;>)

Enjoy your amp Tz, certainly a good one.

I'm feeling good vibes here in this thread :) Really enjoying the amp every time I fire it up.

I'm really keen to hear LM speakers but the LM dealer here in Singapore hasn't brought one in yet. He's a good guy to deal with though. Always patient and never pushy. Anyways he went for a hifi show in China couple of months back. Here's some photos of recent LM Gear. Check out that industrial looking turntable!

http://www.xtremeplace.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=163135.msg1032138#msg1032138

RGA,

What is your digital front end? My Mac book Pro is dying on me. I am considering getting the Auralic Aries or something else that is good and user friendly to connect to my Eastern Electric Minimax Plus Dac.

Appreciate any feedback thanks.

Back
Top Bottom