Great Horned Heils Anyone??!!!

Checked the dimensions of the Heils and they are an exact fit for the top of these Frugal Horns. They're actually a better fit than Ed's HS horns as his are much deeper.

Anxious to give them a go as no one to my knowledge has tried this combination. Not even mentioned on the giant DIYaudio Frugal Horn thread. Same Fostex drivers so everything should be similar.

P3040014.jpg

Rather than the Pass ACA's I'd bi-amp the Heils and Fostex's with two of these TPA 3116's. Twice the power and I won't mention how little they cost. :D

picture.php

Rather than the Pass ACA's I'd bi-amp the Heils and Fostex's with two of these TPA 3116's. Twice the power and I won't mention how little they cost. :D

picture.php

Don't use Ed's crossover with any Class D or T amp; it will fry your drivers. At least that what is what they were saying on his forum. I think the Frugal Horns with the Heil's is a great idea.

On another note, I am about to buy some Tekton M-Lore's for my second system. I am going to run a SS amp and tube preamp. What do you think?

Don't use Ed's crossover with any Class D or T amp; it will fry your drivers. At least that what is what they were saying on his forum. I think the Frugal Horns with the Heil's is a great idea.

On another note, I am about to buy some Tekton M-Lore's for my second system. I am going to run a SS amp and tube preamp. What do you think?

I'd use one of my analog actives which wouldn't be a problem. In my 3 way OB's, using an Ashly active, I drove it's B&G planar tweets with a Topping.

The M-Lores are a great choice. If I had a pair I'd be using a TPA 3116 and a tube preamp. The Eminence based Lores won't have the detail and resolution of the Fostex but they'll make up for it in other ways.

Last edited:
I'd use one of my analog actives which wouldn't be a problem. In my 3 way OB's, using an Ashly active, I drove it's B&G planar tweets with a Topping.

The M-Lores are a great choice. If I had a pair I'd be using a TPA 3116 and a tube preamp. The Eminence based Lores won't have the detail and resolution of the Fostex but they'll make up for it in other ways.

Did you order the Heil's yet?

The price for new Heils is more than I'm willing to pay so I'm looking for a used pair.

They ARE expensive aren't they. I will keep an eye out for you and if I find anything I'll let you know. I am convinced the FH's will be taken to a new level, especially with an electronic crossover like you plan.

Back
Top Bottom