No love for current Marantz range on AK ?

estreeter

Not sure if it's just me, but other than John's TOTL PM-11Sx (S1 or S2 - which I think he sold to make way for new kit), current Marantz electronics dont seem terribly popular with AKers. If it's a sound preference, fine, but if it's an issue around perceived reliability, I'd be interested to hear your feedback. Love them or not, they have a huge dealer network, including AV stores that sell very few stereo amps. I see references to current Denon gear here, but for some reason Marantz gear seems to get very few keystrokes on AK. I've only heard their entry-level amps and receivers : looking forward to hearing the PM-11. :yes:

Thanks in advance.

I like some of their pieces and others I do not. I really love their AVR's and enjoy my SR5005 immensely.

I like some of their pieces and others I do not. I really love their AVR's and enjoy my SR5005 immensely.

I guess I'm just weird, but I like that fact that Marantz continue to offer slimline receivers - both AV and stereo. I was also quite surprised by just how good the SR5023 sounded in the barn-like store I heard it in. Sure, its warmer than most purists might like, but each to their own. I would add that finding silver Marantz isnt as tough as it might be for some other brands :D

136_product_1_big.jpg

I guess I'm just weird, but I like that fact that Marantz continue to offer slimline receivers - both AV and stereo. I was also quite surprised by just how good the SR5023 sounded in the barn-like store I heard it in. Sure, its warmer than most purists might like, but each to their own. I would add that finding silver Marantz isnt as tough as it might be for some other brands :D

136_product_1_big.jpg

Silver isn't offered here...champagne however...!

I had a chance to preview the top of the line CD/SACD, preamp, and the big monoblocks (300w at 8Ω, 600 at 4Ω...etc). Played through Dynaudio speakers it was quite incredible. About $25k worth of electronics. No way you'd believe that the tiny Dynaudios were throwing up that soundstage if you didn't hear it. The biggest danger was that it sounded so good and unfatiguing, that at first,I kept wanting to try it louder. I never made it past -17db. no way...

I like Marantz....especially the older stuff. Wish they'd get back into tubes....and start making their own TT again.

marantz-t1-2.jpg

marantz-t1-back.jpg

marantz-music-link-series.jpg

Last edited:
Excellent - I wish I'd been in that room. I've seen photos of the SC-11/SM-11 combination. but that's it. Compared to the flagships from other brands, they dont seem to get a lot of attention from the audio media.

The Marantz reference is bigger in Europe than the US. Most people find them dynamic, but a little to warm for their taste. Some say they are not fast. I find their reference sound very elegant sounding and smooth while still dynamic. I also noticed on the official page there are no more separates or mono blocks...I wonder if they are coming out with some new ones?

I would be surprised if D+M Holdings is prepared to put money into new high-end Marantz electronics, but fortunately I am regularly surprised. Fingers crossed that one of the most established brands in audio continues to honor it's two-channel roots for many decades to come, regardless of whatever technology they elect to share with Denon.

I just bought a Marantz CD6004 player a couple of months ago. It replaced a Cambridge azur 540. I think it sounds quite abit better. I like its internal DAC better also. Plus the flash drive on the front. I run them both through a Decware Z box.

We use the NR 1603, their network receiver in our TV setup. Sounds decent, and the connectivity is really convenient. We had the SC11s1 for a while and enjoyed it but found it to be lacking in the clarity we have in our Classe.

I picked up a used (6 mo. old) SA-8004 and I'm floored. I'd read numerous reviews and didn't know it sounded that good. Great detail, dynamics, imaging and taller soundstage. It's a real treat listening to older cd's and hearing new and clearer details. The best thing for me is no fatigue.

Yes, it's warm, but I prefer warm vs. a super detailed "clinical" sound. Replaced a Cambridge 640C V2. Now I'm wondering what would be an upgrade without breaking the bank?

Recently I listened to one of their Reference integrateds and the matching SACD/CD player. I really liked what I heard and they would be on a short list if I was starting over. The trouble is.....and it's a nice problem to have...is that I've reached a level of contentment with my main system after years of trial/error.
As much as I like the new Marantz it's out of my budget for a 2nd system.

A few years ago, I decided to treat myself to a new integrated amp paired with a matching CD player. I ended up getting the Marantz PM8004 integrated amp and the Marantz SA8004 SACD/CD player. They make for a good pair but the amp, which is to me breathtaking in appearance, tends to sound a little "darker" than I'd prefer.

I really liked the SACD player however and I now own three of the damned things!

I've been a Marantz guy since I purchased a 1060 integrated amp back in the mid-70's. I still like the vintage Marantz stuff and presently have five 2200-series receivers scattered throughout the house.

But going back to the original thought, the new Marantz stuff is, in my opinion, definitely top shelf.

Absolutely love my Marantz SACD player. Sweet and dynamic. Changed my mind about digital sources.

I recently acquired a nice PM 8004 and was quite impressed. I had to have the bass, mid, teble, controls. The imaging is quite good. A bit to "dark" as others have said but tolerable. I find the build quality is very good, solid. I think it excells with Jazz more than anything. I've tried it with rock and other genras and when the music gets "busy" to really busy, it just lags, doesn't work for me, it loses it's definition and clarity......oh, btw, the midrange on this thing is killer!

Back
Top Bottom