Best SACD players of 2014

Bigerik

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
As SACD is far from dead, and actually seems to be enjoying a Renaissance in 2014, I thought it might be useful and helpful to have a thread dedicated to the best SACD players that are currently available in all price ranges.

Only 2 rules:

1) must be currently available for retail purchase

2) must be pure DSD - no conversion to PCM along the way.

So what ya got?

Last edited:
I am enjoying my Sony XA5400 ES sacd player balanced into my Krell S-300i. Still available both through Sony and some online stores have picked it up.

The Yamaha CD-S3000. I have never heard it but I have the CD-S2000 and it is a great player. I had a Music Hall Maverick and it was a fine sounding player but the Yamaha was even better. I don't know if it is worth $6K but I bet the new CD-S3000 sounds mighty fine!
41737_12075_1.jpg

Last edited:
I am enjoying my Sony XA5400 ES sacd player balanced into my Krell S-300i. Still available both through Sony and some online stores have picked it up.

Seconded. I continue to chase the analog dream and I have two very good vinyl rigs. And somehow the 5400 continues to be one of my favorite sources. It just makes everything sound so good and effortless. I don't listen to "it" if you know what I mean - it just gets out of the way.

jblnut

And just to clarify, that can be best at any price point. I'd love to see some good $500 players on here too. If there is such a thing.

I know that how something looks in side has no relationship to how it sounds, but damn, that Yamaha does look pretty!

Onkyo C-S5VL. Seems to no longer be available in the U.S. (so not sure if this counts), but they can be had new on Ebay, shipped from Japan, for about $600.

Onkyo C-S5VL. Seems to no longer be available in the U.S. (so not sure if this counts), but they can be had new on Ebay, shipped from Japan, for about $600.
Seems close enough to me. Good price too.

Has anybody tested the Pioneer BD-160 or BD-179 Blu-Ray player's capabilities as a SACD player?

Has anybody tested the Pioneer BD-160 or BD-179 Blu-Ray player's capabilities as a SACD player?

Can I throw this into any such comparison ?

http://www.piyanas.com/?page_id=2689

If I didnt already own the Oppo I would have been sorely tempted to give the LX55 a shot - it gets rave reviews and is much cheaper than the Oppo. The biggest complaints levelled against Pioneer and some of the other Japanese brands is that their gear is 'too polite' - I'll take that over 'rides roughshod over my music' anyday :D

I just got in a Oppo BDP-105-D. I will be doing a shootout this weekend I hope, between it and my older Marantz DV-6001

Back
Top Bottom