Budget amp to test a theory?

RamblinE

(╯°□°)╯彡┻━┻
So here's the system as it stands. Desktop bedroom system consisting of sources: Technics SL-D2, Ortofon 2M Red and ART DJ Phono Pre II for analog. Spotify Premium and Audioengine D1 DAC for digital. A Headroom Micro Amp drives my headphones, selects my inputs and acts as a preamp. A Topping TP21 is the power amp. Hafler M5 Reference Monitors sit on my desk with an Infinity PS10 250watt sub underneath tuned to blend in. I split the signal right at the Micro Amp's line level output. Split one way to the sub and the other way to the Topping.

The problem: I've been listening to speakers more and more lately and at higher volumes I feel that the sound is getting very congested. It loses some separation and dynamics and seems to jumble together.

The theory: Is my Topping TP21 hitting a wall in how much power it can put out before the legendary T-Amp THD kicks in? Could that be what I'm experiencing as congestion?

The part where I ask for your opinions: I want to try a budget amp with more power. Something that won't take much skin off my back to buy. Something I can put away and keep as a backup unit in the future after I've purchased a real upgrade. The two candidates are the Audiosource Amp 100 and the Dayton Audio APA 150. These two units have much more power than my Topping. Toroidal power supplies. Inputs and pass through circuits. Small footprints. Starting prices under $200. PE's asking price for the Dayton is perfectly acceptable. B&H offers the Amp 100 for about the same as PE offers the Dayton. I've had the Amp 100 in the past so for me its a known quantity. The Dayton on the other hand is not however it does make a little more power and could serve a future purpose as a subwoofer amplifier what with its built in crossover.

So what would you guys go with? Who has experience with either unit or even both units? I know Celt had one for a while so I'd be interested in your feedback. I know your homebrew speakers are a little demanding. My Hafler M5s are 6 ohm but don't require any amplifier gymnastics that I'm aware of.

I'm interested in hearing some input :D

Sent from my ZTE Olympia

so... what about the TPA3116 people have been raving about for 20 some pages ? mostly avail as DIY but there are a couple sold in cases and pretty much ready to go... (however i think you need your own laptop ~ or similar power supply for them.)

so... what about the TPA3116 people have been raving about for 20 some pages ? mostly avail as DIY but there are a couple sold in cases and pretty much ready to go... (however i think you need your own laptop ~ or similar power supply for them.)

Hah. Forgot about that for a second. There are one or two ready made plug and play examples I could order. I have them bookmarked. Wonder how the two amps I posted would stack up to it.

Sent from my ZTE Olympia

Oh no. The Topping TP60 vs HLLY T-amp 90 thread has yielded a super cheap ready made example of the TPA 3116.

Sent from my ZTE Olympia

Oh no. The Topping TP60 vs HLLY T-amp 90 thread has yielded a super cheap ready made example of the TPA 3116.

Sent from my ZTE Olympia

is it the $35~ one.... two channel ... if so might as well get it first, would doubtless be easy to sell on here or wherever if you didn't like it...or for the money not that big of a deal to just keep it anyways.

is it the $35~ one.... two channel ... if so might as well get it first, would doubtless be easy to sell on here or wherever if you didn't like it...or for the money not that big of a deal to just keep it anyways.

Talk about a no skin off my back attempt at testing my theory.

Sent from my ZTE Olympia

Durrr... I reread your initial post. Like others have said, the TPA3116 might be your winner.

Last edited:
I'd say yes... I can barely get enough volume out of my Topping 21 for ordinary playback. Get a more powerful amp and it will sound volumes better...

As for amps under $200, look at used SS from the 80s and 90s on CL and eBay... You'll find something great.

Something like the Kenwood Basic M series still flies under the radar as the prices just keep steadily rising on others

Last edited:
If you want to try something with a little more power, I've got an NAD integrated here I'd be happy to loan you to see if a few more watts is the answer. I think its rated to 35 a channel or something like that. If that ain't enough, you can borrow my Phase Linear 700 and see how long it takes for the smoke to come out of the speakers :)

I see some bigger probably than you had in mind amps being mentioned...

I have historically had good luck finding awesome estate / thrift ..etc deals

so I do have a Parasound 75WPC amp that is pretty awesome... I am not currently but have previously hooked it up to the pre out on my FiiO E09K and then put it on a shelf elsewhere in room ...NO.. shortage of power in my case going that route..

so blah blah blah cheap~ish used amp of some manageable size someplace in room and small preamp (schiit and emotive both have something nice but not too expensive at $50~ price point) on desk.

but personally i think the $33~ish TPA3116 is a good place to start myself.

If you want to try something with a little more power, I've got an NAD integrated here I'd be happy to loan you to see if a few more watts is the answer. I think its rated to 35 a channel or something like that. If that ain't enough, you can borrow my Phase Linear 700 and see how long it takes for the smoke to come out of the speakers :)

You can borrow my Topping TP60 if you want take a test drive.

You can borrow my Topping TP60 if you want take a test drive.

I might have to get back to you on that after I have that cut price TPA3116 in the house.

What did you get to replace the Topping driving your Tektons?

Sent from my ZTE Olympia

IMO *most* of the Cheap Chinese Chip amps are Lame.
I've bought too many of them,, sigh.
They cut corners and use Fake parts.. even Fake main chips in the Tripath based ones, and you wonder why it craps out ??.
Try and find a Quality Lm 3886 based amp.
Preferably a domestic maker :).
When Well executed (not all are) these are genuine High End amplifiers. (35w to 60 w /channel.. power is not a usual issue )
Better bass, presence and detail than a NAD actually
Hearing is believing.. look around for a source?

Not sure why looking at tpa3116 amps if you want more power. They're similar power as the tp21.

Bear in mind it takes twice as much power to make just a small increase in volume.

Also, that these sort of chip amps are typically listed at 4 ohms load for the power spec and often at pretty generous distortion levels like 10%.

Last edited:
IMO *most* of the Cheap Chinese Chip amps are Lame.
I've bought too many of them,, sigh.
They cut corners and use Fake parts.. even Fake main chips in the Tripath based ones, and you wonder why it craps out ??.
Try and find a Quality Lm 3886 based amp.
Preferably a domestic maker :).
When Well executed (not all are) these are genuine High End amplifiers. (35w to 60 w /channel.. power is not a usual issue )
Better bass, presence and detail than a NAD actually
Hearing is believing.. look around for a source?

I'm just trying to see what I can do with more headroom. I'm ready to spend real money on a real amp yet. And if I were I'd have a lot of listening and research ahead of me before making a concrete decision.

At $35 however there's literally nothing to lose by trying a TPA 3116

Sent from my ZTE Olympia

Back
Top Bottom