<$300 solution for high quality computer audio

invalidbuffa

My primary source of music is my computer (PC), playback is done via foober2000 either with optical to an onkyo HT receiver/speakers or on my HD650's through an X-Fi sound card (no external amp). I've found that compared to analog sources, digital audio through either the receiver or the sound card sounds mediocre, lackluster, cold...you get the drift. My objective is to spend no more than about $300 on something that will make listening to my digital music more pleasant and has connectivity for headphones and RCA line out.

After some searching around I've discovered there are many products that will potentially work...One option I've considered is upgrading my sound card to an Asus Xonar ST/STX, but I'm not sure how well it would drive my 300 ohm 650's. I've also looked into the JDS O2+ODAC combo and standalone DACs such as the Grant Tube DAC 09/Maverick TubeMagic D1. There's also some good Chinese DACs such as the Little Dot DAC_1 (no headphone jack) and the Audio_GD NFB series (11.32 was the one I was looking at). I'm sure there are more.

Out of the bunch, and without having heard any of them in action, the O2+ODAC is the most attractive and should do everything I need it to. Does anyone have remarks on any of these DACs/amps I mentioned, or can you recommend something else in the $300 range that will work?

I'm not necessarily looking for a sonic improvement over my vinyl rig, I mainly want more fidelity when listening to music from my computer.

Since you asked...Micro Seiki DD-35 + Grace F8C->Scott 355, recorder out ->input of HT receiver->speakers

Last edited:
You'll get 100 opinions, but here's mine. Very sweet sounding bang for the buck:

Maverick TubeMagic D2

I'll be the first to recommend the Emotiva XDA-2. It'll do much more than just add a DAC to your computer or feed your headphones. At only $219 currently it's an unbelievable deal.

XDA2_FRONT_2.png

I'm not necessarily looking for a sonic improvement over my vinyl rig, I mainly want more fidelity when listening to music from my computer.

Since you asked...Micro Seiki DD-35 + Grace F8C->Scott 355, recorder out ->input of HT receiver->speakers

That'd be a nice cart. Probably hard to beat at $300.
See if you can pick up some English DACs secondhand.

Musical Fidelity etc.

Just to give you a frame of reference before I make my recommendation, these are the sources I currently own -

Sony PHA-2
ADL Furutech X1
Chord Hugo
Oppo BDP-105D
Marantz SA-14S1

None of that makes me an authority - just wanted to give you an understanding of the kind of money I've thrown at DACs in the last 5 or so months. I owned the Objective2 for about 2 years and its a capable but overrated headamp - at least IMO. I also have the HRT microStreamer and that would have been my budget pick until I picked up one of these for use as a USB-SPDIF converter -

http://ifi-audio.com/portfolio-view/nano-idsd/

I just cant speak highly enough of this little guy - for under 200 bucks with coax and RCA outs I know of nothing else that can touch it. Forget the DSD hype - this DAC will take anything you can throw at it from MP3 up and you'll still have a hundred bucks to spend on music/beer/pretzels. It's big brother, the micro, is over double the price and they both get rave reviews - I just think the nano is the best BFYB deal in audio. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Another trick to consider along with your DAC upgrade:
Try some DSP/equalization to bring the sound closer to what your hear from your analog sources.

'Not sure about Foobar; I use JRiver which has its own capabilities (regular EQ, parametric EQ, convolution, headphone crossfeed which can simulate reduced channel separation etc.) and can also accept any of the tons of VSTs out there (compressors, expanders, tube warmth simulation, etc.).

You could even record an analog signal, then compare to digital and create your own settings to model what YOU have.

I like the Meridian Explorer I have and the Fiio E10 I had before it. I haven't asked it to drive any difficult loads though. Just my HD555s and UE700s. The Explorer is on deal right now for 150 down from 300. Good luck.:thmbsp:

I've never used Foobar so someone correct me if I'm wrong, but does it use WASAPI or ASIO formats for playback?

Also, is your sound card set up to not effect the optical out signal? Some don't have that option which is why many people end up with a USB DAC.

Back
Top Bottom