Mystery Amp: Need help with ID

I don't have it here now but the sticker says Grunzwalds with an address in New Orleans. I assumed this was the retailer but maybe not.

That's most likely a repair sticker or a personal ownership tag but I'm betting on the first one.

The chassis looks like the E.H.Scott of the thirties. It would make sense as most all of their equipment I have ever seen has separate chassis' for the tuner, IF, and amplifier stages.

It looks like you have the power amplifier stage but you also have the IF stage(s) as well.

Last edited:
Yup, E.H.Scott! :thmbsp:

If it's all there, I would keep it intact for a future restore or sell or pass it along to a collector.

It's kind of a waste to even think about trying to run the amp solo as a power amp. Those things were meant to be kept and run together. :yes:

Collectible??? Very! :thmbsp: :banana:

Thanks for the great information. A google search turned up an almost perfect match. It's labeled as: E.H. Scott 800 B-6 All Wave Receiver.

A few other of the finds:

on top of all the hardware, I got hundreds of tubes that i'm going to catalogue.

Your first pics look like the amp, power supply and FM if section of an EH Scott 800B or similar model. There were so many tubes in the radio they had to put the FM IF and demodulator stagesa on the amp/ps chassis.

First amp is probably either from an 800B or a 510. Looks like an 800B to me, and most likely its the other half of the 800B tuner pictured.

Last item before the Heathkit looks like an Atwater Kent radio? Maybe an AK60c ?

The drum dial EH Scott looks like it may be an Allwave 12 ? There would be another piece to that puzzle that contains the power supply and audio amp. Also, there is a speaker that goes with it thats kind of hard to find.

The AK is a 55C. You might find a Pooley or Kiel table that it will fit into, or one of several console cabinets as well. It uses a 400 Ohm speaker, but you can fake it with an impedance matching transformer. Fully tubed as is, proabaly worth about 50 to 75 dollars (US). If you have the speaker, and the filter caps look okay under the chassis, there is a fairly good chance you can reform the caps and test it out.

yeah, could very well be a 55c. Its missing the top plate though. Looking closer, I see where the knurled nuts are to hold the plate. Mine was also missing when I got it, but I got one recently off of a parts chassis for the grand sum of $0.

I believe its a field coil speaker too, so you'd need to fake that out. From fuzzy memory here, the output transformer also lives on the speaker, and the 55c is push-pull 45 output tubes. I have a 55c in a highboy cabinet, but its been a while since I worked on it. I do remember the original speaker has a leather surround, which I thought was interesting.

The Scott is an 800B and the Atwater Kent is a 55c. I'm going to go back to the guy's house and see if any of the stray bits that you guys are talking about might be laying around. Good info from everyone!

Back
Top Bottom