My 1st Thorens

PureQuill

AK Member
I found this Thorens TD166 MkII on CL.

I tested it as good as one can with no amp or speakers & decided to take a gamble figuring if there was major problems it is worth what I paid in parts. Other than the missing dust cover and hinge it looks to be pretty much all there.

Any advise on how to clean this TT and get it back in good working order.

I understand the TD 166 MkII is an entry level table & not a whole lot on setting up this tone arm & cart online. Unfortunately she did not have the wand box or jig to set it up properly.
Any advise would be greatly appreciated by this Thorens virgin.
Thanks
PQ.

Attachments

• DSC_7956.jpg
    DSC_7956.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 176
  • DSC_7960.jpg
    DSC_7960.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 84
  • DSC_7962.jpg
    DSC_7962.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 72
  • DSC_7965.jpg
    DSC_7965.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 76
  • DSC_7969.jpg
    DSC_7969.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 82
Nice find! It may Thorens' entry level model, but it's still a very good turntable.

I would start by cleaning the motor pulley and sub-platter to remove any rubber debris that has accumulated over the years and then install a new belt.

Nice find! It may Thorens' entry level model, but it's still a very good turntable.

I would start by cleaning the motor pulley and sub-platter to remove any rubber debris that has accumulated over the years and then install a new belt.

Thanks!
I am a little concerned about what is best to use to clean the different parts of this TT. I don't want to damage any of the different finishes or the lettering on the face plate, the cueing lever markings are already worn off from years of use.
Does anybody have a favorite suppler for quality belts?

Cheers
PQ

Nice purchase, I really like my TD166 MKII. I'm currently running a Pickering XV15 1200E with an OEM D1200 stylus. Combo really works well, but with your headshell I believe this set up won't work. I believe with the headshell on that arm you'll need a lower profile cartridge. I'm sure members more familiar with this arm will have more info. Funny thing is, I really like the looks of the TP-62 arm on your table better than the replacement TP-63, but the TP-63 has an offset carbon headshell to allow taller cartridges. But as your table does have the TP11 MKII wand this will allow an easy change to the TP-63 headshell should you want to do so.

Last edited:
Nice purchase, I really like my TD166 MKII. I'm currently running a Pickering XV15 1200E with an OEM D1200 stylus. Combo really works well, but with your headshell I believe this set up won't work. I believe with the headshell on that arm you'll need a lower profile cartridge. I'm sure members more familiar with this arm will have more info. Funny thing is, I really like the looks of the TP-62 arm on your table better than the replacement TP-63, but the TP-63 has an offset carbon headshell to allow taller cartridges. But as your table does have the TP11 MKII wand this will allow an easy change to the TP-63 headshell should you want to do so.

Thanks for the great info!
I agree the TP-62 is a pretty cool looking head shell!
I may look into a Tp-63 wand in the future.
Right now I just want to get her cleaned up, cart aligned ,a new belt & stylus, get her cleaned up & running.
The original owner passed & his widow has held on to the TT for years for sentimental reasons.

Anybody know If I can use the protractor from my Hk T60 to do the alignment or will the weird HK off set throw the Thorens out of whack?

That headshell (if that's what you want to call it) was a bitch for me to setup right. I finally dusted off a mirrored protractor I had on hand (turntablebasics has them for cheap) and had it setup in about 30 minutes. For me the mirror allowed me to see more alignment points at just a glance. Especially while I was loosening and tightening that "greased pig" headshell. I personally like the looks of the TP11 with this headshell, the design just fits the flow of the TA.

That headshell (if that's what you want to call it) was a bitch for me to setup right. I finally dusted off a mirrored protractor I had on hand (turntablebasics has them for cheap) and had it setup in about 30 minutes. For me the mirror allowed me to see more alignment points at just a glance. Especially while I was loosening and tightening that "greased pig" headshell. I personally like the looks of the TP11 with this headshell, the design just fits the flow of the TA.

Thanks for the help full post.
The mirrored protractor sounds like the ticket to me.
Cool looking & functional are not always compatible .
The 63 split window Corvette comes to mind.:thmbsp:
When i looked at the Thorens service manual it says to use a mirrored protractor to align the cartridge.
I have to admit my old eyes are not what they used to be & I can use all the help I can get!
Cheers
PQ

Check the links in my signature for quite a bit of help.
I am with ZB on the headshell, a real PITA to set up but I like it, enjoy your new table! :thmbsp:

I found this Thorens TD166 MkII on CL.

I tested it as good as one can with no amp or speakers & decided to take a gamble figuring if there was major problems it is worth what I paid in parts. Other than the missing dust cover and hinge it looks to be pretty much all there.

Any advise on how to clean this TT and get it back in good working order.

I understand the TD 166 MkII is an entry level table & not a whole lot on setting up this tone arm & cart online. Unfortunately she did not have the wand box or jig to set it up properly.
Any advise would be greatly appreciated by this Thorens virgin.
Thanks
PQ.

This is a very nice sounding turntable, and NOT a bottom-line turntable at all! For what is worth, i owned the 145MKII and the 166MKII and for me both sounded identical.

The headshell is a pain in the *** to dissasemble but, on the other hand, it allows offest adjustment easily.

My advice? Two pieces of advice:

1) The arm wand connector tends to become faulty over time so clean the contacts and treat it very gently!

2) Usually the vertical bearings (the ones for the horizontal movement of the arm) are too sloppy and require adjustment. Which is very easy to perform: Pop off the plastic cap at the top of the tonearm pivot. You will see a flat screw there. Turn it VERY GENTLY until the sloppiness is reduced while the arm is still free to move.

Now you have an arm that is like new!!

Thanks to all who have posted & commented!

This is a very nice sounding turntable, and NOT a bottom-line turntable at all! For what is worth, i owned the 145MKII and the 166MKII and for me both sounded identical.

The headshell is a pain in the *** to dissasemble but, on the other hand, it allows offest adjustment easily.

My advice? Two pieces of advice:

1) The arm wand connector tends to become faulty over time so clean the contacts and treat it very gently!

2) Usually the vertical bearings (the ones for the horizontal movement of the arm) are too sloppy and require adjustment. Which is very easy to perform: Pop off the plastic cap at the top of the tonearm pivot. You will see a flat screw there. Turn it VERY GENTLY until the sloppiness is reduced while the arm is still free to move.

Now you have an arm that is like new!!

Thanks will check the tonearm adjustment & clean the contacts!

Also thanks to all who posted.
I will post pic’s of her after I clean up the decades of dust. :thmbsp:

PureQuill,

Forgot to say... If you have the problem of the belt coming off when changing speeds, then you need to confirm that the suspension springs are properly leveled. If placing the TT on a leveled surface, the platter should also remain leveled. If not, you will have to level it by adjusting the springs that are the turntable's suspension.

If it's not leveled then the belt will slip off the motor's spindle. Of course, you can also adjust the motor inclination angle, but i'd check the suspension first.

PureQuill,

Forgot to say... If you have the problem of the belt coming off when changing speeds, then you need to confirm that the suspension springs are properly leveled. If placing the TT on a leveled surface, the platter should also remain leveled. If not, you will have to level it by adjusting the springs that are the turntable's suspension.

If it's not leveled then the belt will slip off the motor's spindle. Of course, you can also adjust the motor inclination angle, but i'd check the suspension first.

Thanks I’ll keep that in mind when setting her up!

Nice table with the early version of the later arm (if that makes any sense).

Check out vinyl engine, and the Analog Depot for additional ideas on Thorens setup.

Resurecting an old thread here My TD 166 MkII has developed a speed issue. It has a new Thorens belt (6mo old) Iam wondering if I need to lube the motor & main platter bearing.
Also getting a king of weird wooshing sound:thumbsdn:
It is bad enough that my Hk T60 sounds much better than my Thorens.
Thats not right is it?:no:
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
PQ

Did you ever get the suspension properly tuned?

Pictures would help to see the platter height and level.

Also check o see where the belt is riding on the pulley and on the inner platter. This needs to be correct for proper speed and low noise. A picture with belt on and top plate flipped would help us.

In addition, oil the motor on any restored belt drive. I would also recommend clearing out the bearing well and replacing lube with fresh.

There are many "how to" threads here on AK.

The basics have to be correct for this table to sound as it should.

Good luck, Bob

Back
Top Bottom