Teens don't care about sound quality no more!

Daunia 70

Lunatic Member
This afternoon I've been out and about,and have never spotted so many teens (or even folks in their 20's) listening to headphones with the actual headphones over their hats which in-turn cover up their ears... just goes to show that nowadays sound quality isn't even on the agenda for the majority of teeny poppers!

200217853-003_zpscfnzljoc.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I would argue that most teens never have cared all that much about sound quality. When I was a teen, everyone was (or still is) filling their trunks with subs. Very often, you couldn't even hear the music for all the bass. Headphones over hats and toques is probably cool.

God I sound old...

Fernando (from Saturday Night Live) has the answer. "You've got to look good. Nothing else matters".

Hiya,

I could care less about "Sound Quality" way way back when I was a teen. And I have the hearing to prove it.

Frannie

I'm no teen but I look cool with my AKG 240's over the top of my baseball cap strolling down the streets in my town :yes: ... but then I just ruin the whole vibe by wearing a fanny pack to carry my FiiO x1. :dunno:

I grew-up in the Hippy era. Being a nonconformist was the deal. Funny thing is we started to look all alike; same hair, same dress, same music, same ideology... There was conformity within the nonconformist movement

It is encouraging though when every so often you see a post here on AK from some younger person who has caught the audio Hi-Fi bug.

One thing about SoCal... Grandad, son & grandson usually dress alike

Well worn tee shirt, board shorts & flipflops :)

This afternoon I've been out and about,and have never spotted so many teens (or even folks in their 20's) listening to headphones with the actual headphones over their hats which in-turn cover up their ears...
Why not show us what you actually saw vs. posting a stock Getty image?

BTW, here's a another view of that "Smiling teenaged student". You can find plenty more here.

Last edited:
Most teenagers parents have all switched to 7 channel theater crap. When they get a chance to hear a good stereo and they feel the thump in their chest they are hooked instantly. Most will never hear a good two channel system.

i recently sold a marantz 1060 with dynaco a25's to a kid. [ i regret selling that amp]
he emailed my back how awesome it was.
i also sold my jbl 140's to a kid ... he had an attitude i didnt like but knew lots about old jbl speakers.

i store lots of old gear in my sons room ... he helps me move it around ... he has no interest in using or hearing it.
just his headphones from his pc or iphone, my daughter is no different.

i gave my son an old cambridge audio pc sound system ... he threw it out!

I think with the younger generation it's all about how much music you can store in the palm of your hand and how cool the device is and what it can do and what apps does it have music sound quality for teens is a thing of our past..

I think with the younger generation it's all about how much music you can store in the palm of your hand and how cool the device is and what it can do and what apps does it have music sound quality for teens is a thing of our past..

Everyone hold up your hands how much you would have killed for this ability when you were a kid back in the 60's , 70's , 80's or even 90's ???

I mean we could always try and sell these "Kids" on the huge heavy case of 8-Tracks and the Panasonic TNT player which you had to put new battery's in every 6th tape or so.

Stupid kids don't get it.

Frannie

Last edited:
Another thing is that most young people can't afford a real hifi system. I was lucky I landed a relatively high paying job when I was 18--Like double the minimum wage, with full benefits. Most people my age were fortunate to get a job in a fast food place. I landed a job in a hospital.

Even 40 years ago, most young people never heard a real hifi system. I used to pour over every hifi publication I could find. I wanted to learn what specifications made a system capable of hifi reproduction. Most people my age were not in the least interested. My hifi system was the only one in the area. (Not including some owned by audiophile parents.) I had my system set up in a large basement. Many people I hardly knew would show up to hear real hifi. It was rated best budget hifi system by Julian Hirsch. Julian Hirsch tried his best to educate young people so they wouldn't get ripped off paying for a compact system that sounded terrible.

So things really haven't changed. The majority of young people never cared about hifi reproduction. I would think, though, that the desire for accurate sound reproduction presupposes a strong love of music.

I agree that most young people aren´t all that interested in sound quality, but not all of them.

Last Friday, I had the chance to set up my system at work in the shop. There, I can play it as loud and as long as I want to. My normal listening buddy couldn´t make it, but one of the young guys at work wanted to listen to some tunes with me.

I warned him that I just sit there with my eyes closed and listen to the music ( with the occasional head bang :D )

A few times, I opened my eyes to see if he was bored shitless, but to my surprise, he also had his eyes closed and was just enjoying the music! :thmbsp:

When we were finished for the evening, I asked him if it was boring for him. He said "No, it was great!"

There is hope :D

He has already been to one show with me, and we are planning on going to another at the end of August.

article-2222370-15A2F871000005DC-884_306x585_zpszqe9lbyg.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Too true! Back in the the mid 80's there was a real pride in owing the very best,most expensive personal stereo from the likes of AIWA or Sony (there was even a "Which Personal Stereo" magazine at one point that you could buy).
All these came supplied with in-ear phones that were of a very hi-quality,you'd never dream of listening to 'em over a hat :lmao:

When I was a kid in the 70s, I didn't care about sound either. I wanted a cool looking amp that played painfully loud into big ass 9 way speakers. If I could tell James Taylor from ZZ Top, my system was good enough. I had a Pioneer SA-7500 that I beat the hell out of for 4 years. My appreciation for the finer things in audio came later in life.

I don't think kids today are any different. If we would have had portable digital audio back then, we would have been all over it.

Back
Top Bottom