Show us your Nixie Clocks!

bryans12v

Marantz / Altec Junkie
Seriously considering a nixie clock for the top of my gear cabinet and curious to see others setups with the nifty nixie.

Love these little things! Anyone have one?

SteamPunk Digital :D
Seriously Pricey though... count on ~$500 for a worth owning version.
Cheap ones use pencil thin/size type tubes.
Tubes need to be 3/4" or 1" diameter to be impressively intriguing... those are at a premium.. understandably.

SteamPunk Digital :D
Seriously Pricey though... count on ~$500 for a worth owning version.
Cheap ones use pencil thin/size type tubes.
Tubes need to be 3/4" or 1" diameter to be impressively intriguing... those are at a premium.. understandably.

Ridiculous!
Regular nixie clocks are much more reasonable -
tho there is always SOMEONE pushing high end prices
because - p.t.barnum ....

REALLY!?
then Post a link to a Nixie "kit' AND a set of 3/4" ~1'" tubes for LESS.. Please!

Ridiculous!
Regular nixie clocks are much more reasonable -
tho there is always SOMEONE pushing high end prices
because - p.t.barnum ....

Really?
I recently sold a set of four Burroughs tubes untested and as-is for almost $350.

If you want tubes the size of your pinkie, you can get a clock "cheap".
If you want a real setup, you WILL have to pay for it.

This is >$100 each:
http://www.tube-tester.com/sites/nixie/data/b-7971/b7971.htm
B-7971-f.jpg

This is <$5 each:
1.jpg

Big difference.

I have a few nixie clocks around here, though only one of them is currently working (and that's after several surgical operations). Here's the one which runs, which was offered as a kit by "B&F Enterprises" in the early '70s, based around 74xx-series TTL ICs. Whoever built it didn't do a great job, and I don't think the design was too great to begin with, but it's running quite well now. ***KNOCK ON WOOD***

nixieclock1_small.jpg

Here's one of my project clocks, a homebrew of some sort from the '70s. Again, it uses TTL ICs, though mounted in perfboard and hand-wired. Unfortunately, someone stole the power transformer out of it at some point, so I have yet to test it.

nixieclock2_small.jpg

I have several Heathkit clocks which technically don't use nixie tubes, but they use Sperry "Panaplex" digits which give a similar effect in 7-segment form. Similarly, I have several Numitron tubes which I'm planning to use to build a clock. Getting back on-topic, I also have some pieces of test equipment which uses nixie tubes, like a Hewlett-Packard 5245L frequency counter (which I'll likely keep as-is), and an Acton Labs 330A "Digital Phasemeter", which I'm considering turning into a clock.

actonphase.jpg

I'd love to see a well-executed copy of a"big" nixie tube in LED form.
That would be cool to have some of the look without the hassles.

This one uses IN-18 tubes - 40mm digit height. It's been running trouble-free for three years now.

attachment.php

Attachments

• P1010600.jpg
    P1010600.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 302
Not the best picture but I've got a 4 tube nixie o my desk at work (see attached)

Attachments

• 0707151225.jpg
    0707151225.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 75
I'd love to see a well-executed copy of a"big" nixie tube in LED form.
That would be cool to have some of the look without the hassles.

This is the closest I've seen thus far:

http://www.tubeclockdb.com/forum/Builders-Forum/2956-Edgelit-Reloaded.html

Technically, it's trying to emulate a different type of display, but it looks pretty nixie-like to me. Not sure if he's managed to do anything with the technology as of yet; I haven't found it on his website.
-Adam

Nice thread - my electronic display clock is technically not a NIXIE, but most likely VFD tubes from the 1970s. I found it at a local estate sale last Fall.

Attachments

• IMAG0703.jpg
    IMAG0703.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 71
  • IMAG0705.jpg
    IMAG0705.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 49
  • IMAG0707.jpg
    IMAG0707.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 53
I built one from a kit a few years back:

pict0010.jpg

The housing was a separate affair sold by another company. I also had to source my own tubes.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom