Do you keep old audio magazines?

You people would THROW AWAY old magazines??? REALLY???

I've got way too many; dealing with my mother's estate has tenderized me to the fact that "I can't take them with me". Even so, when I think of letting-go of that history, I think in terms of dropping them off at the local Library--or putting a dozen at a time in the giveaway rack of the local hospital. There must be fifty ways to give away books and magazines that don't instantly go to the landfill--and might in some small way help to introduce newbies to this hobby.

I only WISH I had kept my audio mags from the 70's. I'd love to skim through them now. I tossed them out when new ones came in.

Same goes for most of my hobbies. I did manage to keep "Aviation Safety" and "Flying" magazines for about a decade, but tossed all of them about 10 years ago as well.

The internet and my Kindle have me streamlining my life and my print hording. However, certain mags, like Audio mags, I wish I had kept.

Bumping an old thread, but does anyone have Stereophile 1997, Jan and Feb issues still? I am looking for the two articles by Scott Frankland.

TIA,
jaz

The magazines I still enjoy reading is the former Speaker Builder publication.

I did save my copies of Stereophile but chose no to renew my subscription some time ago.

I believe I have almost all of the ones, even the electronics ones, I subscribed to or bought or copies from all my years up into the 80s. I see that most of the old ones are available in digital format now. I need to reduce the space I rent in storage units, along with IEEE and a few more categories.

In my never-ending quest for less clutter I've spied my giant stack of old Stereophile/Absolute Sound/Hi Fi News/Hi Fi Choice magazines, and I think they've gotta go. I never re-read them. And I'd rather read my collection of Listener magazine anyway. If they were all of the quality of Listener, I wouldn't feel the need. I think I'll keep Hi Fi News out of the discard pile. It's all a very good argument for a tablet.

I do, High Fidelity and Stereo Review. I got a batch off ebay several years ago, dating from 1960 through 1969. Years ago, a local university library had bound copies of High Fidelity from 1957 through the 1980s. Now they're gone, but none of the staffers there knows what became of them. In fact, they have no record that they even existed. A pity.

Bumping an old thread, but does anyone have Stereophile 1997, Jan and Feb issues still? I am looking for the two articles by Scott Frankland.

TIA,
jaz
It's actually a 3 part set from Dec 96, Jan 97, and Feb 97. I've got the Dec and Jan issues. Let me know if you want a scan of those articles.
---Gary

It's actually a 3 part set from Dec 96, Jan 97, and Feb 97. I've got the Dec and Jan issues. Let me know if you want a scan of those articles.
---Gary
Thanks for the offer, but I managed to get them from my friend.

I have about 50 old audio magazines. I think that 50 is not a crazy number. Amongst them the complete "Hifi-Stereophonie" 1976 and 1979 and the complete "stereo" 2008.

Speaker Builder which was retired. There is a wealth of knowledge on loudspeaker design theory.
One of the few I kept. I also now wish I had subscribed to Audio Amateur back then (a sister publication). I think I have four (?) years worth of early Speaker Builder, including a series on building an electrostatic panel from scratch.

I lost many years worth of Audio, Stereo Review, Stereophile and a few others (non-audio) in my big move back in 2008. A couple years prior, I had pulled out a couple dozen of the late 70s Stereo Review issues and actually remember reading them. The biggest blow were those annual Audio equipment guides. Those were a great reference for older gear.

Yes I have a few issues of Audio, Stereo Review, two issues of High Fidelity, Sound Canada, Sound and Vision (renamed from Sound Canada) and Stereophile.
I loved a lot of that stuff, but now it just makes me ache for the early 80s, and the thing is you could never go back really.

I even notice how I used to like shopping at Value Village and garage sales for tape decks, open reel decks and LPs. But now I've gotten to the point where I say to myself, "What am I going to do with it all?". I think it's more that I miss being into it, but now there's no real place for it.

Back
Top Bottom